• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2016 Memorial Cup thread

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
We'll get a good chance to see the 2017 #1 pick, as the Wheaties won the WHL last night.

@kenwardskorner 16h16 hours ago
Not eligible until 2017 @NHL draft, @bdnwheatkings Nolan Patrick had 4th GWG of @TheWHL playoffs tonite. Led team & league w 30 playoff PTS.

so far we have:
Let another goal in for Nolan
allow a hattricK for Patrick

London, Rouyn-Noranda and Red Deer (host) are the other teams

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody outside of London like the Knights? I'm rooting for the Kings of Wheat.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sens 7th rounder Francis Perron just won the Q Playoff MVP. Also won regular season MVP. Only other players in the last 20 years to do that were Crosby and Drouin. No pressure kid.

So I'll be pulling for the Huskies.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
whoa. do not over look receiving the pass off of his inside blade

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody outside of London like the Knights? I'm rooting for the Kings of Wheat.

I imagine that the OHL is pretty sick of them. They were kind of a neat story when they had the stacked roster in 05 (thanks to the lockout) and won their first Memorial Cup as a team that had never done anything, but ever since then they are always good. I mean always. That's really hard to do in junior hockey, impressive in a way, but it does get kind of old. 4 Memorial Cup appearances in 5 years is insane. I wasn't a fan of them getting the 2014 Memorial Cup after getting the bid to host in 05 though. So I guess personally it really doesn't bother me since the only time I really ever see anything OHL related is the Memorial Cup, but it would be nice to see some fresh blood.

As an aside can the CHL finally get rid of the host team? The Memorial Cup has gotta be a big enough tournament now that it's not needed. A host hasn't won their league since Kitchener in 2008. The days of stacking your roster as host seem pretty much over. Let's ditch it and let league champions battle it out. Though I will say Brandon hardly looks like a champion so far. Ouch...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine that the OHL is pretty sick of them. They were kind of a neat story when they had the stacked roster in 05 (thanks to the lockout) and won their first Memorial Cup as a team that had never done anything, but ever since then they are always good. I mean always. That's really hard to do in junior hockey, impressive in a way, but it does get kind of old. 4 Memorial Cup appearances in 5 years is insane. I wasn't a fan of them getting the 2014 Memorial Cup after getting the bid to host in 05 though. So I guess personally it really doesn't bother me since the only time I really ever see anything OHL related is the Memorial Cup, but it would be nice to see some fresh blood.

As an aside can the CHL finally get rid of the host team? The Memorial Cup has gotta be a big enough tournament now that it's not needed. A host hasn't won their league since Kitchener in 2008. The days of stacking your roster as host seem pretty much over. Let's ditch it and let league champions battle it out. Though I will say Brandon hardly looks like a champion so far. Ouch...

It it impressive, in fact so impressive that it makes me think that some shenanigans may be at play here. Portland in the WHL also had a pretty impressive run for a while as well until it was discovered that improper recruiting tactics and payments/gifts were made to players and their families. Hopefully, no such things are being done with the Knights program, but that program basically emerged out of nowhere and now is hailed as one of if not the pre-eminent junior hockey program in Canada.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It it impressive, in fact so impressive that it makes me think that some shenanigans may be at play here. Portland in the WHL also had a pretty impressive run for a while as well until it was discovered that improper recruiting tactics and payments/gifts were made to players and their families. Hopefully, no such things are being done with the Knights program, but that program basically emerged out of nowhere and now is hailed as one of if not the pre-eminent junior hockey program in Canada.

I can tell you dash that plenty of people in Ontario hockey are convinced that the Knights are very "generous" with their players and potential recruits. Nothing concrete but they (and a couple of other OHL teams) are viewed with serious skepticism.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
so much for that. Wheaties are out.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so much for that. Wheaties are out.

I wonder what Jayce Hawryluk did to get scratched last night. He didn't have a good tourney, but you don't scratch your best offensive player in a do-or-die game without good reason.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be lying if I said that thought hadn't crossed my mind. In particular the amount of American kids they manage to get that you'd expect to go the NCAA route is very surprising. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I have reason to believe otherwise. The CHL came down hard on Portland and Windsor, I have to imagine they would with London too if any tomfoolery was discovered.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta believe that London is gonna win today, but people didn't give Edmonton much of a chance against Guelph a couple years ago and the Oil Kings kicked the Storm's ass in the final so you never know. I'll watch for as long as the game is decent.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Hell of a game.
1-1 going into the 3rd