• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Steelers DEF

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we going to be saying the same thing next year about this DEF?

I'm afraid we might be.

Why?

Well I think we all know that typically the biggest step for a young player is the 2nd year playing. They're more instinctive thus faster to react, etc...as recent evidence, we saw much improvement from JJ before he got hurt (because he played a lot as a rookie)...Same thing with Bell (his blitz pickup, pass receiving are greatly improved)

Front 7

Tuitt...he's barely played a full 4 qtrs. He'll be like a rookie next year.
Shazier...he's played roughly 4 games this year, but I can still see him taking a step next year.

Combined with JJ, and Heyward...these 4 guys are going to be the young nucleus next year to go with Timmons. Spence is a pkg player and a keeper. They're either playing McCullers out of pure need or they feel he can be a player.

Back 4

Shark...I know he's been hurt a lot, but I don't think he's played a snap @ SS this year.
C. Allen...we all saw it...hopefully he becomes a full reclamation project.

Mitchell will be back most likely and who knows about Troy, but I have a feeling they will bring him back....McCain, Gay, Blake...hats off to the effort they've brought this year, but none of those guys belong outside. Ike and Cortez outside with Gay @ nickel looked okay to start this year.

Looking ahead to '2015...we know they're not going to go the FA route for a #1 CB...maybe they find a CB with size in the draft, but imo there's a good chance they have to bring Ike back again.

IDK about you guys, but regardless of what happens this year, I think we're looking at 2016 before we see any real change on this DEF and then you have to start looking at replacing Timmons.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this front 7 personnel shouts 4-3 to me...imo that's the quickest way to get the most out these players next year. Aside from that...I think we're going to be seeing the same DEF performance next year.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to beat a dead horse, but this front 7 personnel shouts 4-3 to me...imo that's the quickest way to get the most out these players next year. Aside from that...I think we're going to be seeing the same DEF performance next year.

Has LeBeau always run 3-4? Wonder how much longer he's going to keep coaching.

Muddler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LeBeau must go! That's my mantra for the offseason. Been a great ride DLB but the defense fools no but the players who have to implement it apparently since it is so hard to learn. Time for some changes on the staff and this is an obvious one.

To the original point. Yes, I agree. There are no quick fixes here, especially in the long neglected secondary. We have to hope that players like JJ, Shazier's and Tuitt live up to their draft status. Worlds is likely gone so we may have a huge hole to fill there. Will be interesting to see what Zumwalt can do. I liked him in college but that doesn't always translate to the Pros and they were looking at him as more of anILB anyway. We need a stud OLB and we desperately need corners. One of the reasons I'm so down on DLB is because his system totally devalues CBs and that has gotten us into the sad situation we are faced with today.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't say always, but he's known as the inventor of the 3-4 zone blitz, and it's a scheme that's grounded in deception and timing really...if you have a 2 gap NT that can consistently occupy the C & G, and you have good DEs...Your 2 ILBs stay clean to take care of the run, or blitz. One of your OLBs is going to be blocked by a TE, and the other 1 on 1 with an OT...Lebeau had the perfect storm of personnel for a decade or so, and they got to 3 SBs.

Now...he doesn't have a legit NT much less a 2 gap NT...but he seems intent on playing this 3-4 base with a all these sub packages...statistically it doesn't look too bad, but they're giving up way too many points.

Lebeau was not a Tomlin (a 4-3 DC) hire, and imo can't be a fired by Tomlin, so when he leaves will most likely be up to him, or a FO decision.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBeau must go! That's my mantra for the offseason. Been a great ride DLB but the defense fools no but the players who have to implement it apparently since it is so hard to learn. Time for some changes on the staff and this is an obvious one.

To the original point. Yes, I agree. There are no quick fixes here, especially in the long neglected secondary. We have to hope that players like JJ, Shazier's and Tuitt live up to their draft status. Worlds is likely gone so we may have a huge hole to fill there. Will be interesting to see what Zumwalt can do. I liked him in college but that doesn't always translate to the Pros and they were looking at him as more of anILB anyway. We need a stud OLB and we desperately need corners. One of the reasons I'm so down on DLB is because his system totally devalues CBs and that has gotten us into the sad situation we are faced with today.

Lebeau...clearly he's grounded into his DEF concept. I hate to say it this way because he's been such a rock for so long. But, imo for the Steelers to move forward into the future, they need to let Lebeau retire and allow Tomlin to implement his own DC/scheme and he comes from a 4-3 background.

In this era, they can't afford to invest a high draft pick on a NT...and the legit FA guys just cost too much cap space to play on 1st down and come out.

My view of the DEF personnel...McLendon and McCullers are really 4-3 DTs...Heyward and Tuitt can easily drop a few lbs and move into a 4-3 DE role...I think you can then afford to let Worilds go and have Shazier & Jones OLBs with Timmons in the middle. There's your 4-3 front 7...from there you work on the depth...Keep C. Thomas.

The back 4...if it were me, I would release Troy and make Shark the starter @ SS to pair with Mitchell. With some of the money I saved on Worilds I would go after a legit #1 CB in FA (there will be several guys with size and youth available) and draft one pretty high...give Allen another shot to turn it around in '15.

But...if they stick with Lebeau which will probably happen...I would spend Worilds money on Justin Houston from KC.