• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 The Year of Horrible Officiating

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched pieces of 12 NFL football games yesterday and nearly 100% of the Patriots/Dolphins game.

There's a trend with nearly every officiating crew. That trend is no calls against some defensive backs and constant calls against others.

My first example is Brandon Browner. Everyone knows he's a physical corner and so do the officials. He was called for several interference calls yesterday. On a couple he did interfere, but on two specific instances, the wide receiver (Gibson) initiating the contact by reaching out grabbing Browner's shirt
and pulling himself into Browner. Browner reacted by extending his hand and arm and was called. On the second one, Browner chucked Landry roughly two yards beyond the line of scrimmage and was called for illegal contact. Both were horrible calls.

At the Bronco/Charger game it was worse. The Charger cornerbacks were called on several chintzy incidental contacts that gave Denver first downs on third and long that they didn't make. One was a third and 20 and the 1st down allowed the Broncos to get close enough to make a field goal. On the other side, Keenan Allen was getting mugged all day and was actually tackled in the end zone and had a pass go off his finger tips. No call. Basically, if Peyton Manning couldn't find a receiver, the officiating crew was saying that San Diego had to be doing something wrong and made BS calls.

The league has to back off these "illegal contact, defensive holding and interference" calls. It doesn't matter whether it's Manning, Brees, Rodgers or Brady, these calls are killing the game. They're all a 5 yard penalty and an automatic first down. If the NFL insists on making the call, make it 5 yards but not an automatic first down. Same with an interference call down field. 15 yards, not a 46 yard penalty at the spot of the foul or at the one if the call is in the end zone.

The quality of the officiating in the NFL has diminished severely over the past 3 years and if it continues, the game will begin to suffer.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gotten to the point after every incompletion the receiver is looking for a flag. We've passed the point of ridiculous with the officiating on the defensive side of the ball.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right Tx......I didn't even think of that. Great point!!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BigKen what is your obsession with the NFL trying to give Manning all the breaks? You come on the Bronco board complaining about the officiating and how they are giving the Broncos gifts...I guess you ignore the fact that the Broncos got called for quite a few illegal contact and pass interference plays in yesterday's game. They were calling it both ways. Some official crews are just more touchy about it than others and the ones in the Broncos/Chargers game were one of those crews.

Bad calls go both ways in the NFL. An NFL official has probably one of the worst jobs there is in even if they do a good job somebody can find a way to complain about what they did. They have a thankless job where they are making split second decisions with guys flying at ridiculous speeds at one another. I've been an official before and it is not an easy job. Maybe walk a mile in their shoes first before just blasting them.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everytime the ball is thrown in Browner's direction I fear for a flag. He is a very physical player and has gotten called for things that he shouldn't have based on his repuation. What I truly hate is when they call Illegal Hands/touching or PI when the play is on the complete opposite side of the field.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CD.............I officiated for 33 years and coached for forty. I've walked in the sneakers, shoes and boots. I admitted that I didn't watch entire games, but what I saw on Sunday in San Diego was not being called both ways. What I have the biggest problem with are the "no calls". The biggest I saw Sunday was Keenan Allen totally interferred with in the end zone and nothing getting called against the defender.

I'm sorry that you find my observation about Manning unfair, but over the past couple of years, when he can't find a receiver, flags tend to fly. I'm not saying that they do it "for" him, but the officials are so used to him making play after play, they have to be sun-consciously thinking that a defender is doing something wrong..............If we could get all of the numbers together I'm sure that Philip Rivers, Ryan Tannehill and Drew Stanton don't get that same mental advantage as Manning, Rodgers and yes, Brady.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you seem to focus on one play here in the Broncos game where Welker fell to the ground. I will admit that was a bad call but if you actually look at the entirety of the game the Broncos got called for more pass interference/illegal contact/holding calls by the secondary than that of the Chargers. So to sit here and say the Broncos are getting the calls where they let the Broncos hold the receivers while the Chargers can't touch them is just not actually looking at what happened in the game.

In fact I actually went back and counted it up for you here just so you can know. The only time that San Diego got 1 of those 3 calls against them was on that Welker play. The Broncos on the other hand had 4 such calls against them on their defense. So again tell me how in the world is Manning getting all the calls when he got one iffy call to go his way?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you seem to focus on one play here in the Broncos game where Welker fell to the ground. I will admit that was a bad call but if you actually look at the entirety of the game the Broncos got called for more pass interference/illegal contact/holding calls by the secondary than that of the Chargers. So to sit here and say the Broncos are getting the calls where they let the Broncos hold the receivers while the Chargers can't touch them is just not actually looking at what happened in the game.

In fact I actually went back and counted it up for you here just so you can know. The only time that San Diego got 1 of those 3 calls against them was on that Welker play. The Broncos on the other hand had 4 such calls against them on their defense. So again tell me how in the world is Manning getting all the calls when he got one iffy call to go his way?

cd, your one of the best posters on these boards but you seem to miss where BK said "It doesn't matter whether it's Manning, Brees, Rodgers or Brady, these calls are killing the game." He is not focused on Manning.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CD.............I officiated for 33 years and coached for forty. I've walked in the sneakers, shoes and boots. I admitted that I didn't watch entire games, but what I saw on Sunday in San Diego was not being called both ways. What I have the biggest problem with are the "no calls". The biggest I saw Sunday was Keenan Allen totally interferred with in the end zone and nothing getting called against the defender.

I'm sorry that you find my observation about Manning unfair, but over the past couple of years, when he can't find a receiver, flags tend to fly. I'm not saying that they do it "for" him, but the officials are so used to him making play after play, they have to be sun-consciously thinking that a defender is doing something wrong..............If we could get all of the numbers together I'm sure that Philip Rivers, Ryan Tannehill and Drew Stanton don't get that same mental advantage as Manning, Rodgers and yes, Brady.

Speaking of no calls, some defenders tend to get away with more when they are defending someone bigger. I've seen Gronk get mauled and no call. I've watched Dez plenty and the same thing. But as soon as the receiver puts out their arms..there goes an offensive PI call. There does not appear to be any equality in the officiating.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad reality is ....

the referees are doing exactly what Goofdell wants.

So don't look for it to change anytime soon.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cd, your one of the best posters on these boards but you seem to miss where BK said "It doesn't matter whether it's Manning, Brees, Rodgers or Brady, these calls are killing the game." He is not focused on Manning.

I realize he is not just focused on Manning but he did focus on the Broncos last game. If he can show me how the Broncos especially on offense were getting so many calls when there was only 1 actual penalty on the Chargers for any kind of down field action then I will back off. I just don't think that was his best example of his point. He focused on one play where Welker fell down and got the benefit of the call. It was one play out of over a hundred for the game so in the end it really didn't make that big of a difference towards the outcome. I do agree that the super stars do seem to get a few more calls to go their way as they are given the benefit of the doubt compared to the new guys on the block. They at one point were those new guys though and were in the same boat. It is how the game and really any sport works. I see Lebron get calls all the time in the NBA. You see some of the better hitters in baseball given the benefit of the doubt if they don't swing that it is a ball when really the ball caught the corner. So again this isn't something that is just NFL related.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me...............please go back and re-read any of my posts and then copy and show me where I mentioned Wes Welker anywhere. The only play I mentioned was the "No Call" on Keenan Allen. I have no idea where you came up with Wes Welker falling down.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you go BigKen...These are your words not mine.

"At the Bronco/Charger game it was worse. The Charger cornerbacks were called on several chintzy incidental contacts that gave Denver first downs on third and long that they didn't make. One was a third and 20 and the 1st down allowed the Broncos to get close enough to make a field goal."

"Basically, if Peyton Manning couldn't find a receiver, the officiating crew was saying that San Diego had to be doing something wrong and made BS calls."

There was only 1 Call in the entire game against San Diego's secondary. That happened on a 3rd and 12 play not 3rd and 20 play. You said they were called on several plays where it gave the Broncos first downs. Nope that is not the case. It was on one play so that makes it where the only play you could have been talking about is that of the Welker penalty. So you say you are not talking about that play then explain to me what other one you are talking about because what you have in your head does not exist in the actual game.

I have very little problem you questioning the contact after 5 yards penalties and how much the NFL has changed the game with these new rules. My problem is with you trying to use the Bronco game this past weekend as your example of this happening and Manning getting the benefit of the doubt on calls. I have no problem admitting that the penalty where Welker fell down was a very questionable call but you make it sound like the Broncos were getting all these calls in their favor especially on 3rd and long plays getting penalties on the Chargers secondary. Again the Broncos only got one call the entire game against San Diego's secondary so where are all these calls?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CD .... I really hate getting into pissing contests, so this my final comment on the Charger/Bronco game....first and most important....I stated outright that I did not see the entire game. I did say what I saw always appeared to be a call in favor of the Broncos. ESPECIALLY....the NO CALL on Keenan Allen in the end zone. Not one Bronco fan has even eluded to that call, rather they're calling me out on Wes Welker falling down.

I'm still standing on my statement that officials sub conciously start looking for something when Manning and others can't find an open receiver down field. "I" believe that Manning's receivers get more ghost calls because Manning has been historically better than average.

The biggest problem with officiating is when the Broncos play a team like San Diego who are Jeckle and Hyde types and a flagrant play doesn't get called. If Allen gets the interference call in the end zone, Chargers have the ball first and goal on the one. It was a game changing no call.

That's it, I'm done on this subject.....Thank You Merry Christmas, Happy Honika, Felice Navidad.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gotten to the point after every incompletion the receiver is looking for a flag. We've passed the point of ridiculous with the officiating on the defensive side of the ball.
The officiating has been poor for many years now but Goodell just sits on his hands and keeps the status quo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CD .... I really hate getting into pissing contests, so this my final comment on the Charger/Bronco game....first and most important....I stated outright that I did not see the entire game. I did say what I saw always appeared to be a call in favor of the Broncos. ESPECIALLY....the NO CALL on Keenan Allen in the end zone. Not one Bronco fan has even eluded to that call, rather they're calling me out on Wes Welker falling down.

I'm still standing on my statement that officials sub conciously start looking for something when Manning and others can't find an open receiver down field. "I" believe that Manning's receivers get more ghost calls because Manning has been historically better than average.

The biggest problem with officiating is when the Broncos play a team like San Diego who are Jeckle and Hyde types and a flagrant play doesn't get called. If Allen gets the interference call in the end zone, Chargers have the ball first and goal on the one. It was a game changing no call.

That's it, I'm done on this subject.....Thank You Merry Christmas, Happy Honika, Felice Navidad.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here. What I am doing is trying to understand why in the world you are using the Broncos/Chargers game as your example when you actually state you did not watch a chunk of the game and then that your statements back up that you actually watched very little of the game. You said things like the Chargers got called for "Several" penalties on their corners when there was 1 the entire game. So to me yes I am going to call you out when you make statements that are not true.

On your play that you seem so adamant about I have watched it over and over to try and see what you see. I see both Harris and Allen pushing each other. Could there have been a call? Yes I do think there could have been but it could have gone either way. Both Harris and Allen have played each other a lot through the last couple of years and they are both physical players. I am pretty sure I have seen a lot more of Allen than you have and physicality is a big part of his game. You can't look at that play and not see that Allen at the 2 or 3 yard line gives Harris a little push to get leverage on the inside. So again I could see them calling it either way but I thought that was a good no call.

Again not trying to get into a pissing contest here at all. Just making sure when you make statements that they actually have something to back them up. When you say things like the Broncos got "Several" calls to go their way but then say you didn't watch the whole game and have really only commented on 2 plays I have a hard time seeing how that is several plays. I just think there is a better example of a game that you could use that you actually watched the whole thing.

Anyway Merry Christmas to you as well and all Patriot fans on here. Be safe and good luck against the Jets this weekend :suds:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BigKen I apologize there were two penalties against San Diego's secondary. I forgot about the one in the 1st quarter where one of their safeties at about 10 yards deep grabbed ahold of our receiver and turned him around. It was a pretty obvious play as even the announcers made comment that it was an obvious call.