• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 1 - Blues vs Hawks

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he sticks with the lines. You really cant just move Zeus to the fourth line when the fourth line is not playing that much. He gets a few shifts full strength with Sharpie to at least keep his bones moving.

I just worry it takes Morin a couple games to get going so he might be one and done. Wouldnt mind seeing Nordstrom killing penalties and being the second faceoff guy if the main center gets tossed. But I think if Versteeg does sit its gonna be Regin in this series. Q just loves playing those vets.

Alot of what he is doing is stuff we wanted in the regular season but didnt want to give the opposition the tape to see how they play, pretty much why we saw bickell toews kane on the top line the first few games of the regular season and that was it. Its just critical to get Sharp and Hossa going and if that means putting Toews between them for a few shifts so be it.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee. Ben Smith moved up to the second line with Kane and Sharp. Helllloooooo Q!!! What have we been saying all along?????

Sometimes I just wonder. I mean, Q putting Toews with Versteeg and Saad for the first two games? Really? Are you kidding me?

Now he has Toews, Bickell and Hossa and Smith, Sharp and Kane. That's way more like it. Two lines with some skills.

Next up, get that loser Versteeg out of there and get Jeremy Morin a chance to play on the third line. He's physical and he has a nose for the net. Versteeg is just useless baggage out there.

Anyways, it's been almost impossible to watch each and every game without going crazy. My blood pressure is so high watching I'm gonna need a cardiologist and defibrillator on standby.

Lol, hang in there buddy. It's going to be another nail biter later on tonight.

After tonight we get Seabs back at least.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyways, it's been almost impossible to watch each and every game without going crazy. My blood pressure is so high watching I'm gonna need a cardiologist and defibrillator on standby.

After game 5, I need a defibrillator too!

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, another OT game.

Crawford made some big saves, and once again, Toews nets one when we need it most.

For my money, there really isn't a better all around player in the league than Toews.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious as to what you guys think. Isn't there a rule for faking penalties?
The Blues are known for their physical play. And yet it seems if their touched in the wrong way, their hitting the ice.:wtf2:. Just 1 of my observations from this series. Thought there were at least 3 ( I forget the right call name ) faking penalties that could have ,but weren't called. Instead Blackhawks went to the box.
Just think if that is all the Blues have to try to beat our Hawks. Their misdirected.
Love the series in whole. They earned the 1rst 2, we've earned the next 3. Just hope those faking penalties don' factor in some where down the line.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, there should be dive penalties, most of the time they just offset and both go to the box though.

Most of the night you watched David Backus "finishing" checks which usually means hitting players after the puck is gone, which is why three games was too much for seabrook. You want the rules changed to the penalized player is out as long as the hit player is out? How bout letting him come back when the other guy comes back.

Anyway, to your point, I think the last stat I saw in the third period were hits st louis 47 hawks 17, but I completely agree that you would not think the team with the 47 hits would be the ones falling down on contact.

Awesome game, completely different feel, I just had the feeling that no matter what the hawks were coming back. Watched the ESPN sportscenter and fox sportscenter, the pace of the replays actually let you see what happened. ESPN and last nights broadcast looked like crow was beat clean, but their replay had crows skate actually hitting that 2 on 1. The Toews goal you couldnt see how close it was, the fox pace you saw the puck pass the goal line.

Great series, this mirror of last year with the blues has got to be disheartening. Cant wait til tomorrow.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Bears referring to "diving?" If so that penalty is rarely called. Probably never in the playoffs. As for HITS stats or lack thereof, the Hawks are always at the bottom of the league in that stat. Hasn't affected the run for the Cup so I don't feel hitting is a big concern. In fact, look at all of the physical teams that try to knock the Hawks around - they do it to try to slow the Hawks down. It may succeed for a period or two, maybe even a game, but by the tail end of a series the Hawks speed dictates more than the physical play of the opponents.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, there is no diving penalty per se. It would be an "unsportsmanlike" minor.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, finally some breathing room. How wild was that stat from the demise last year of st louis after starting 2-0. If this game ended 2-1 I dont know how st louis would have taken it.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, finally some breathing room. How wild was that stat from the demise last year of st louis after starting 2-0. If this game ended 2-1 I dont know how st louis would have taken it.

Yeah that stat was crazy.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts (in no particular order)...

1) Feel bad for Ryan Miller. I like him.
2) Blues played real tough. Had they won the series, I would have pulled for them. But after the 4th goal, they gave up. At least it seemed like it. Either that or adrenalin was kicking in for the Hawks. Maybe a little of both.
3) Thanks AI for the "diving" penalty info.
4) A friend asked me if I'm worried about the Hawks possibly facing the Avs. I told him (and I truly believe this) that the Hawks seem to gain momentum in each series. So no, I'm not worried. I'm not saying that the Hawks are suddenly invincible, but they had their hands full with St. Louis and came out on top.
5) Not sure if you saw the Toews interview after game 6 with Pierre McGuire, but that was Toews best interview. Ever.
6) As much as I'd like to see the Sharks win that series, I still loath Raffi Torres.
7) Series MVP. Since it seems to be a tie IMO between Hossa, Toews and Smith, I'll give it to Crawford.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw no versteeg and nordstrom in the lineup, then watch penalties to the PK in Krueger, Krueger, Toews, Hossa and thought it was the perfect time to have Nordstrom, but the blues kept the puck in the zone pretty good and ended up being long shifts for the hawks, but it anyone else was down they had a plan.

Still think Versteeg finds the lineup in next series game 1. Otherwise a Khabi injury would not be a bad thing.

So I guess if Colorado wins tonite its at colorado on Thursday. If Minny wins tonite, forces game and wins wednesday its a saturday or sunday start with hawks having home ice? Just hope the east doesnt end up with short series and extra rest. Dont want to look past the next series, but big minutes and no injuries yet (not sure about crawford after second period game 5) you gotta like our chances against either colorado or minny, especially with colorados go to guy a youngster.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Q bothered to scratch Versteeg only to play Nordstrom for all of about 2 minutes. But, hard to argue with a 5-1 win. On to the next round!

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Q bothered to scratch Versteeg only to play Nordstrom for all of about 2 minutes. But, hard to argue with a 5-1 win. On to the next round!

Send a message is the main reason. No free rides until you get to the bus at the parade. Versteeg was terrible game 4 and 5. I dont even think he played 5 minutes. He was given the top line and did nothing. Really only had one good pass in game 1. He wasnt chipping the puck deep, got to the quarterboards and didnt dump and chase, he went back to the blue line. A couple chances to clear the zone, he put the puck back behind the hawks net.

Like I said, if anyone got hurt in that second period with all those penalties, Nordstrom would have made him look like a genius. As far as I was concerned, he should have left the fourth line out the final 4 minutes of the game to make sure no retribution was paid to the stars.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heard Q on the radio today, when asked if Morin might get a chance the next series he said he usually likes to start the next series the way he finished the last series. They are practicing tomorrow. I wouldnt be surprised to see Versteeg traded again. They gotta open up some room for Teuvo, Morin and Nordstrom next year.