• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Season Preview

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enigma. A puzzling or inexplicable occurrence or situation. That was certainly the case of the Houston Texans going from being hailed as Super Bowl contenders to falling all the way to 2-14 and the worst record in the league.

Here's what I know. The Texans were never good enough to be 12-4 and they were never bad enough to be 2-14. The law of averages had to even out over the long run.

Now, on to 2014.

The defense is solid again and might be even better with a new system in place. The 2013 Texans defense had times where they struggled to adapt to halftime adjustments made by opposing teams' offenses and, in particular against New England, Denver and Indianapolis, were just eaten alive in the second half of some games. If Clowney can live up to the top pick, JJ Watt maintains his dominance and Cushing can, for once, play a 16-game season, the front seven will be a nightmare for opposing QBs. And, it will have to because they are, once again, having to cover for a barely adequate secondary that will get torched regularly if the front 5 doesn't get massive pressure on QBs.

Offensively, this could be another train wreck. We have no clue what we got at QB, Foster needs to be replaced by someone who wants to play and might show some heart for the game, Andre, we don't know if he really wants to play anymore....I am a Nuke Hopkins fan and think, if he gets the right guidance from 'Dre, he could be a superstar. Don't know if that is going to happen now. We don't necessarily need the offense to win games (this whole QB-driven league hype is so overrated) but the offense can't lose games like they did over and over again last year.

Reports are that these are the most intense camp practices in the history of the franchise. Sounds good and all but ... to quote AI....we talkin' bout practice. We'll have to see come game day what the BOB staff will bring to the NFL game.

Here's what I am hoping for:

1. Clowney to live up to his slot so we don't have to hear Texan "fans" (I use that term real loosely) bitch all season about not drafting Johnny Football.

2. A huge reduction in turnovers from last season. That alone will raise the win total. Not that raising the total above 2 should be that difficult.

3. More defensive consistency between first half and second half play. Being better able to adapt to halftime adjustments and not look like two totally different defenses when the third quarter begins.

4. A healthy Brian Cushing.

5. A signature win. One win that says we are on the right track with the BOB regime.