• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Record...Your Predictions

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or Expectations?

Tonight puts a cap on the offseason & preseason...a few guys are playing for roster spots, but for the most part we have to dance with the one we brought come a week from Sunday vs CLE.

My summary of the both...although I was clearly in the camp of getting Ebron...I have to say this was on paper one of Colbert's best jobs in the draft...I think by next year 4 impact players will surface from this draft. Mitchell is an upgrade over Clark, Blount is a solid backup....I'm still not sold on LT, but, again dance with who you brought at this point or does it make sense to give Max a call for backup role.

Season...10-6, AFCN champ, 3rd seed.

DIV, 4-2, split with CIN & BAL, sweeping CLE...imo the team that wins 4 in DIV will win the North...maybe on tie breaker.

Non DIV Rd, 3-2

Non DIV - Hm, 3-2

What say you?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OFC… We've said it countless times since May… That this is by far the best offense that Ben has been in since he came into the league in 04. Consistency will be key, obviously. With so many youngsters putting in starting reps they will need a lot of consistency from them to win down the stretch. Bell & Blount are going to wear down defenses, which will open up the field for bigger plays, and vice versa! The matchup opportunities are limitless, and Ben will need to bring his A game to expose them. Having Heath back in full health is going to do wonders, more so than most analysts will talk about. Miller opens up a lot for this offense, especially between the hashes. That'll take some of the heat off of AB & Wheaton. I expect big things from this unit this season! Here's to hoping for another 16 game season out of Ben!

DEF… We are likely to see this defense struggle a little out the gate, because the youth movement is in full swing. Kudos to the FO for bringing Keisel back for stability. Keisel probably won't be a 16-game player, but he will add a lot of snaps to help the progression of Tuitt. Building confidence in the young guys is key. Younger guys like JJ, Allen, Tuitt, Shazier, and others will need to show up big this season. I'm thinking this will be another "bend but don't break" season early on, but it will look a lot better than it did last year. I think this unit will find some cohesiveness and return to top 10 form at some point. Mitchell & Shazier are going to allow Polamalu to return to his prime days of torturing QB's & RBs in the backfield. I know Poly is old, but when he is allowed to do what he does best, there nobody that can stop him. I don't like him in coverage, but he is the smartest player on the field every snap, so Lebeau is going to let him do whatever he wants. This is likely to be one of, if not, his last season, so I hope he goes out with a bang! My main worries are the D-line & secondary, which both go hand in hand. If the D-line doesn't create the pressure or at least eat blockers to free up the LBs, then the secondary will struggle along with the run defense (see 2013 season). The DBs are fairly average by NFL standards, so winning the battle in the trenches will be key. They have the most athletic group of LBs in the league, and Lebeau is going to want to use them early and often in blitz packages. I just hope that they find a better balance of play calling this season, instead of going to nickel for more than 70-80% of the time.

I think they are looking at a 11-5 season. 12 wins would be the ceiling IMO, but very obtainable. 4 away games in the first 6 games of the season will be rough, especially when the defense will have some growing pains, but then they hit a stretch of 3 home games. They should be able to come away 7-2 during that stretch. 10 wins should be enough to win the division, and make the divisional round. I don't expect anything less than a wild card bid at the very least. AFCN is a tough one to predict. Cincy has a tough year ahead of them, so I see them taking a step back. I'll go out on a limb and say we sweep both Cincy & Cleveland, but split with Baltimore. It will be tough, but nothing is ever out of question in the AFCN. 5-1 in the division is very optimistic, and somewhat blind homerism, but I like the odds.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I like your prediction better than mine.

Looking at the OFC...agreed...as long as LT holds up and keeping the same 5 together I think this OFC will put up big numbers...my concern (and I think a big reason DHB makes the 53)...not much experience behind AB, and Moore...I agree B & B will get enough touches to make playaction effective and shorten games when that makes sense in the 4Q.

To really get that unit firing on all cylinders they have to convert 6 inside the 30 much better than they did LY and I think Bryant will have to be a part of that.

DEF...yep, aside from Heyward I don't see anyone beating their 1 on 1 matchup consistently enough to get a lot of pressure...this DEF is going to give up YDs in between the 20s and I hope the back is good enough to keep people out of the endzone...this where my 10-6 is grounded.

@ CAR, @ ATL those are winnable games, but not if the DEF is not getting to the QB in ATL, and not if they're allowing a lot of yards on the ground vs CAR...@ TN...Locker is just okay, but that kid Mettenberger...if he's playing by then...be scared...@NYJ/@JAC two more games they should win, but the OFC has to get out early and put those teams behind the 8 ball...KC/IND imo won't be as strong, just have to be ready at home. NO, BAL, & CIN will be probably the toughest 5 games.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland Browns - WIN
at Baltimore Ravens - WIN
at Carolina Panthers - WIN
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WIN
at Jacksonville Jaguars - WIN
at Cleveland Browns - WIN
Houston Texans - WIN
Indianapolis Colts - LOSS
Baltimore Ravens - LOSS
at New York Jets - WIN
at Tennessee Titans - WIN
New Orleans Saints - LOSS
at Cincinnati Bengals - WIN
at Atlanta Falcons - LOSS
Kansas City Chiefs - WIN
Cincinnati Bengals - LOSS

I'm going with 11-5 backing into the playoffs after a 7-0 start.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland Browns - WIN
at Baltimore Ravens - WIN
at Carolina Panthers - WIN
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WIN
at Jacksonville Jaguars - WIN
at Cleveland Browns - WIN
Houston Texans - WIN
Indianapolis Colts - LOSS
Baltimore Ravens - LOSS
at New York Jets - WIN
at Tennessee Titans - WIN
New Orleans Saints - LOSS
at Cincinnati Bengals - WIN
at Atlanta Falcons - LOSS
Kansas City Chiefs - WIN
Cincinnati Bengals - LOSS

I'm going with 11-5 backing into the playoffs after a 7-0 start.

Interesting you have them winning @ BAL & CIN, but losing to them @ home...Flacco maybe, but I'm not sure about Dalton coming into PIT and winning....if they take care of NYJ & TN on the road and sweep CLE 11-5 could be the reality.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting you have them winning @ BAL & CIN, but losing to them @ home...Flacco maybe, but I'm not sure about Dalton coming into PIT and winning....if they take care of NYJ & TN on the road and sweep CLE 11-5 could be the reality.
Yeah. That's more of a gut thing. I'm basically predicting that they will infuriate me. :gaah:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. That's more of a gut thing. I'm basically predicting that they will infuriate me. :gaah:

I fell ya on that...I think trying to interject youth and still be a playoff caliber team brings that on. I think they have 10 win talent if Beachum holds up & Wheaton puts up Sanders 2013 numbers.

11 wins would be huge, and I do think they can start out strong this yr with the way the schedule is set up.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't have the slightest idea what we will see from the Steelers this year. It seems like every time I think we are in for a long season we go and win a title while everytime I go into a season feeling good about it we miss the playoffs.

I think with Ben at QB it will be a fun season. We'll be in every game. How many wins that translates to I'm not sure. Like you say, there will be growing pains with that young defense and there are holes yet.

I'm just ready to get this thing going.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It feels like that last day in school before summer vacation when I was a kid...

THE CLOCK!

IT MOCKS US!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't have the slightest idea what we will see from the Steelers this year. It seems like every time I think we are in for a long season we go and win a title while everytime I go into a season feeling good about it we miss the playoffs.

I think with Ben at QB it will be a fun season. We'll be in every game. How many wins that translates to I'm not sure. Like you say, there will be growing pains with that young defense and there are holes yet.

I'm just ready to get this thing going.

You could probably make some nice money off Vegas if you did!!! lol

Just being realistic, trying to get some new blood on the DEF is going to come with growing pains...plus...something tells me the FO are not convinced Allen is the #1 CB or I think they would've tried to lock him up like the did Gilbert...maybe they did and the #s were not right but I think they want to see another year.

I'm riding on Ben and the OFC...that's why I keep saying the two most important keys to this season will be Beach & Wheaton...Beach is a fighter so I like his chances...Wheaton...idk yet, I've seen only glimpes. Moore doesn't have the speed to threaten the FS...DHB does, but he's proven to be inconsistent and Bryant's not ready by most accounts.

I'm ready for whatever comes...I watched a little CFB this weekend, but it doesn't replace the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE!!! Got the NFL Tkt teed up, and my 60" plasma tuned up...I'm ready!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready for whatever comes...I watched a little CFB this weekend, but it doesn't replace the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE!!! Got the NFL Tkt teed up, and my 60" plasma tuned up...I'm ready!!

60" Plasma??? Hot damn ATL!!!

Mine is only 56"... Woe is me, right? Those damn first world problems I tell ya!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
60" Plasma??? Hot damn ATL!!!

Mine is only 56"... Woe is me, right? Those damn first world problems I tell ya!

LOL...Well Face...I'm one those people that refuse to buy a replacement (anything pretty much except golf stuff) until the existing breaks...my last game TV was a 27" tube set (wife had a nice 40" flat panel for the bedroom...go figure)...it finally gave out a couple of years ago, and the big flat panel plasmas were on sale...everyone was buying the new LEDs.

Coming from a 27" non HD tube TV...I was happy with the "older" technology!

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two years when they went 8-8 they started out really weak and ended with some hope, that ultimately fell just short.

Hope we are not in for another long and frustrating season. We are looking better, if not spectacular at all positions on the offense.

Defense has some colossal holes. Our perimeters are the weakness. DL and box players look to be the strength.

When is the last time our OLB position group looked so weak?

9-7

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will know a lot about our chances in the first half of the season. They really need to be at LEAST 6-2 at the half way point. The schedule is set up for a hot start and a playoff caliber team will take advantage of that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two years when they went 8-8 they started out really weak and ended with some hope, that ultimately fell just short.

Hope we are not in for another long and frustrating season. We are looking better, if not spectacular at all positions on the offense.

Defense has some colossal holes. Our perimeters are the weakness. DL and box players look to be the strength.

9-7

DEF...colossal just sounds bad....lol. idk if they're outright holes even though I'm one that thinks Lebeau's system won't work at peak form until a big push guy is in the middle, so if there's a hole imo it's there.

Youth...while I like the Brett signing on some level, we're going to have live and die with it imo.

OLBs...true in terms of proven talent, but they are players and I don't think they will be the reason for the team not making the playoffs...should that be the case.

9-7...I can buy that...Tomlin has lost game vs teams with talent obviously, but have not been playoff caliber teams the last 2 years...that has to stop this year if this team is to be a caliber team themselves...you never know what will happen, but on paper, they have such games this yr and two others that have a lot of talent (HOU & TN) but are unproven @ QB.

Burning Bridges said it perfectly...we're going to know fairly early if this team has what it takes to make the playoffs.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

9-7

I agree, 9-7. But I think 9-7 will be good enough to win the division.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think unless I'm vastly underrating the Ravens or we come unglued this division is ours to lose. The Bengals I think with the addition of NE and DEN on their first place schedule will put them behind the 8-ball. I don't know that we will do much with the division title and/or playoff seed but...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think unless I'm vastly underrating the Ravens or we come unglued this division is ours to lose. The Bengals I think with the addition of NE and DEN on their first place schedule will put them behind the 8-ball. I don't know that we will do much with the division title and/or playoff seed but...

BAL...maybe a tad...imo PIT gets a little favor on the schedule...they go to NO & IND...we get those teams @ home, but we go to ATL & CAR. As far as their team goes...idk what Smith will bring really, but getting Pitta back is huge for Flacco, I don't like their OTs, but think they will get better OL play and better running than LY. Unproven in spots, but their front 7 is pretty good...Ravens should be in the mix.

CIN...I think their OL is overrated a bit, but everywhere else they're loaded...the schedule, plus 2 new coordinators bring them back to the pack.

Unglued...imo the key is Wheaton getting some confidence early without pressing...my hope is that the DEF will be better as the season goes along...I'm not that confident in them yet.

3 horse race...I still believe the team that wins 4 DIV gms will win the DIV....beyond that, I'm willing to take my chances if we win it.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. I do think Cinci is the best team in the division top to bottom. But they suffer at two spots that the Steelers don't (Quarterback and Coaching) and I think that makes up a lot of ground for the Steelers.

I can honestly say that I hate the Ravens too much to have an unbiased opinion of them. Purple sons of...