• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles/Balfour deal is "in serious jeopardy" and could fall apart altogether, MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko reports. Balfour's physical revealed issues that "need to be resolved," according to a source. More word about this setback could come on Friday

That's annoying, because it makes Beane look smart. Damn...

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just joking, but not when I said I wish he would go to the NL.

I know you were joking, but I do agree with wanting him to go to the NL.... then again that's what I feel about everyone on the Athletics.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey rev I think you should know that there a few guys on ESPN who are actually afraid of posting stuff on the Rangers' board because of how effectively you prove their idiocy (one guy in particular thinks JD hasn't been a good GM for us)

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish I had news for you guys but I don't. I'm pretty stunned by the tanaka news if its true, but I was never very excited about him. I think he'll be a good number two. I just don't think his fastball has the life to succeed here in the mlb. Its an average fastball and its flat. He doesn't get very good plane on his pitches (as many japanese pitchers suffer from) because of his long stride. Darvish doesn't have this problem as much because he's so tall and has such long arms. I feel like he won't be a ground ball pitcher and we shouldn't want him that bad anyway other than to drive up the price for someone else.

On a side note, I'm here in maryland and the rest of my family is made of die hard redskins fans. They are literally doing so bad and are so bummed about RG3 that they think that the cowboys are something to talk about. They are so irrelevant that redskins fans think that we are something to talk about. I found that funny. We think we're miserable, the worst we've been in years. That's nothing compared to skins fans. They can't win on OR off the field... they might have to change their damn name!

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not just the beginning of the game, he's a guy along with Andrus that will be getting on in front of Fielder, Beltre and whoever else

Leadoff hitters are not overvalued, they have been shown repeatedly to be just as important to the lineup as a cleanup hitter

I am so shocked that you disagree, we are always on the same page. Oh well, there is a first time for everything.

Seriously, though, I get you an Romeo's point. They do matter in the sense of where they are and who they are in front but that being said, we oversimplify the game when we think our number 3 and number 4 hitters are the only ones that knock in runs. They are generally the guys that hit for higher average and power but lets not forget they get on base a ton too. And in the event that no one in the top of the order gets on, sometimes your cleanup or number 3 hitter becomes your "leadoff" hitter and you need someone behind him that can drive him in. I mean think about it. Even if your leadoff hitter has an OBP of .400, that means 60% of the time, they don't get on base. You need to back up your cleanup hitters and number 3 hitters too, they are also typically who is going to get on base. In order to maximize your scoring opportunities, it seems equally as necessary to make sure that your 5 and 6 hitter have an good ability to drive in runs.

You really never know what side of the line up is going to produce on a given night after all. Sure you attempt to structure your lineup so that the first wave hits the hardest, but that just doesn't always happen, so having a powerful second wave is equally as valuable. I really think I could put some statistical backing together for this if I thought about it and if you are interested. I mean think about it, most of a teams runs are not drove in by 3 and 4 hitters. In fact, I am sure that if you added the RBI totals of the 3 and 4 guys together and then divided it by the team total of RBIS for almost any team, it would less 50%, that means that the majority of the time, runs are being drove in by other guys. EX: Rangers last year 691 RBIS, Beltre(92)+AJ (70)+Kinsler(72)+Berkman (34)+ Cruz(76) = 49.7% and that is neglecting the times each of these players drove in runs from a different position in the batting order. Another way to look at it as typically your cleanup guy or 3 hole guy typically is up there in runs scored too.

Honestly, I am a big fan of individual stats. I like them, but they are misleading. What really matters is how these guys play as a team and there is a limitation in how individual stats can measure that, but there are still some interesting methods that I haven't really seen applied to baseball.

Anyway, what it boils down to me is that getting 2 good players is better than getting 1 great one. Nothing against Choo, he would be great to have but, if there is room for two… I prefer that option over. I see a larger impact that way.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey rev I think you should know that there a few guys on ESPN who are actually afraid of posting stuff on the Rangers' board because of how effectively you prove their idiocy (one guy in particular thinks JD hasn't been a good GM for us)

There are definitely some folks over there that shouldn't post at all

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so shocked that you disagree, we are always on the same page. Oh well, there is a first time for everything.

Seriously, though, I get you an Romeo's point. They do matter in the sense of where they are and who they are in front but that being said, we oversimplify the game when we think our number 3 and number 4 hitters are the only ones that knock in runs. They are generally the guys that hit for higher average and power but lets not forget they get on base a ton too. And in the event that no one in the top of the order gets on, sometimes your cleanup or number 3 hitter becomes your "leadoff" hitter and you need someone behind him that can drive him in. I mean think about it. Even if your leadoff hitter has an OBP of .400, that means 60% of the time, they don't get on base. You need to back up your cleanup hitters and number 3 hitters too, they are also typically who is going to get on base. In order to maximize your scoring opportunities, it seems equally as necessary to make sure that your 5 and 6 hitter have an good ability to drive in runs.

You really never know what side of the line up is going to produce on a given night after all. Sure you attempt to structure your lineup so that the first wave hits the hardest, but that just doesn't always happen, so having a powerful second wave is equally as valuable. I really think I could put some statistical backing together for this if I thought about it and if you are interested. I mean think about it, most of a teams runs are not drove in by 3 and 4 hitters. In fact, I am sure that if you added the RBI totals of the 3 and 4 guys together and then divided it by the team total of RBIS for almost any team, it would less 50%, that means that the majority of the time, runs are being drove in by other guys. EX: Rangers last year 691 RBIS, Beltre(92)+AJ (70)+Kinsler(72)+Berkman (34)+ Cruz(76) = 49.7% and that is neglecting the times each of these players drove in runs from a different position in the batting order. Another way to look at it as typically your cleanup guy or 3 hole guy typically is up there in runs scored too.

Honestly, I am a big fan of individual stats. I like them, but they are misleading. What really matters is how these guys play as a team and there is a limitation in how individual stats can measure that, but there are still some interesting methods that I haven't really seen applied to baseball.

Anyway, what it boils down to me is that getting 2 good players is better than getting 1 great one. Nothing against Choo, he would be great to have but, if there is room for two… I prefer that option over. I see a larger impact that way.

I'm disagreeing with your premise but its flawed in that you want a big time OBP guy in front of your best hitters, thats just common sense

I think the bottom 3rd of our order will hit solid enough, both Soto & Profar walk quite a bit (Or Profar is projected to, and does for an 8 hitter, and there's always "leadoff" hitter number 2 in Martin at 9, Choo swings for a bit of power so at that point he almost becomes like a #3 hitter type

Point is, Choo helps our lineup immensely by not only improving the 1 spot, but also the 7, 8 & 9 spot by pushing other guys to those spots

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rev and I were constantly showing those idiots for what they were before espn messed up their boards. The funny thing is, when you showed them the numbers proving they were so wrong it wasn't funny you were a "know it all". I guess I'd rather be a know it all than an idiot.

Any of you guys remember how Bennie used to "like" his own posts?:laugh3:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm disagreeing with your premise but its flawed in that you want a big time OBP guy in front of your best hitters, thats just common sense

I think the bottom 3rd of our order will hit solid enough, both Soto & Profar walk quite a bit (Or Profar is projected to, and does for an 8 hitter, and there's always "leadoff" hitter number 2 in Martin at 9, Choo swings for a bit of power so at that point he almost becomes like a #3 hitter type

Point is, Choo helps our lineup immensely by not only improving the 1 spot, but also the 7, 8 & 9 spot by pushing other guys to those spots

That meant to say agreeing with the premise that you need solid hitters throughout the lineup, but you always want to have a solid OBP guy in front of your best hitter/RBI guys

Early in the morning, still asleep a little

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't get why people are surprised that I disagree with them about Choo, I've been saying I want this guy and now the team needs this guy since way back in July or so

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am only mean to one poster there (Dan Anthony), and that is because for the last two years he has only posted nothing but negative garbage about how JD is horrible for the club. The guy acts like the Rangers are being run like the Cowboys.