• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 EXTENSIONS AND FREE AGENTS

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, as the season end draws near, time to start talking about extensions this coming spring as well as free agents. In my opinion, Colin Kaepernick and Aldon Smith are 1A and 1B as far as priorities to extend. And it would definitely be in the team's interest to do so ASAP as Kaepernick still has not had a break out season so he will come cheaper at the moment. As for Aldon, his off the field issues (seemingly are behind him) also make him a little less expensive. And both players are franchise cornerstones...The other two are Mike Iupati and Michael Crabtree. Not sure yet as to which of those two is more important than the other. Iupati has not had a great season, and Crabtree has had a serious injury, which may drive down his price tag. I would honestly wait with Iupati and to see more what Joe Looney can do and go from there. If Looney starts playing at a high level you let Iupati walk and extend Looney instead at some point. With Crab, he is Kap's favorite target (not to mention the 49ers problems the last few years of finding great WRs) and is only 26, so if his demands are reasonable, I say sign him first....As for our free agents coming up, I have ranked them in order of importance: Anquan Boldin, Donte Whitner, Tarrell Brown, Mario Manningham, and Phil Dawson....It wouldnt surprise me if the 49ers found a way and signed Boldin to a 2 year deal, he is simply one of the best possession WRs in the NFL and a great leader and mentor...As for Whitner, I rank him above Tarell Brown because the CB position in the draft is very good and we just extended Brock...Manningham will probably walk, and I would like to sign Phil Dawson for 1 more year. A reliable K man is a priceless commodity....Looking forward to hearing back from some of you!

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon Smith, Iupati and Crabtree are THE main priorities to extend. The might wait a bit for these guys but I do believe at some point next year, all 3 will be extended.

Kaep will likely play out his rookie contract where the team will then decide if they want to resign him or move in another direction.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, as the season end draws near, time to start talking about extensions this coming spring as well as free agents. In my opinion, Colin Kaepernick and Aldon Smith are 1A and 1B as far as priorities to extend. And it would definitely be in the team's interest to do so ASAP as Kaepernick still has not had a break out season so he will come cheaper at the moment. As for Aldon, his off the field issues (seemingly are behind him) also make him a little less expensive. And both players are franchise cornerstones...The other two are Mike Iupati and Michael Crabtree. Not sure yet as to which of those two is more important than the other. Iupati has not had a great season, and Crabtree has had a serious injury, which may drive down his price tag. I would honestly wait with Iupati and to see more what Joe Looney can do and go from there. If Looney starts playing at a high level you let Iupati walk and extend Looney instead at some point. With Crab, he is Kap's favorite target (not to mention the 49ers problems the last few years of finding great WRs) and is only 26, so if his demands are reasonable, I say sign him first....As for our free agents coming up, I have ranked them in order of importance: Anquan Boldin, Donte Whitner, Tarrell Brown, Mario Manningham, and Phil Dawson....It wouldnt surprise me if the 49ers found a way and signed Boldin to a 2 year deal, he is simply one of the best possession WRs in the NFL and a great leader and mentor...As for Whitner, I rank him above Tarell Brown because the CB position in the draft is very good and we just extended Brock...Manningham will probably walk, and I would like to sign Phil Dawson for 1 more year. A reliable K man is a priceless commodity....Looking forward to hearing back from some of you!

I agree Kap we should be able to get him for 10-14 million. (cheap for a starting QB). A. Smith will give us a home town discount because the 49ers stuck by his side and showed his life is more important then playing NFL. In my opinion he gives us a little discount. I would lock up crabtree but he is about money so I can see him waiting until he is a free agent because he wants to have a good year next year to dive up the price. This is a perfect time to sign Iupati. Having a bad year, we should get him a little cheaper.

U let Brown and Whitner walk. Bolding sign to a 2 year deal. Let Mario walk, and sign Dawson.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Kap we should be able to get him for 10-14 million. (cheap for a starting QB). A. Smith will give us a home town discount because the 49ers stuck by his side and showed his life is more important then playing NFL. In my opinion he gives us a little discount. I would lock up crabtree but he is about money so I can see him waiting until he is a free agent because he wants to have a good year next year to dive up the price. This is a perfect time to sign Iupati. Having a bad year, we should get him a little cheaper.

U let Brown and Whitner walk. Bolding sign to a 2 year deal. Let Mario walk, and sign Dawson.

I agree with most everything you said, Kap should definitely be able to be extended at around 10 mil a year and Aldon will definitely give us a disount after what the organization did for him, although there is also that 5th year option clause we can always exercise. Still, I'd rather extend him this offseason for a little less and be set for the next 5 or 6 years..As for Crabtree, it may be in his interest to sign extension this offseason and get his money because if he waits he risks getting injured again and driving his price down even more. And we always have the option of the franchise tag as well. And I guess Iupati is last on my priority list...Tarell Brown is a goner, as for Whitner, I would love to keep him at the right price and he is having a very good season. But only at the right price. Loved the tandem of him and Reid..Boldin is definitely a priority for a couple years more as is Dawson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon Smith, Iupati and Crabtree are THE main priorities to extend. The might wait a bit for these guys but I do believe at some point next year, all 3 will be extended.

Kaep will likely play out his rookie contract where the team will then decide if they want to resign him or move in another direction.

because of Kaep's season, this makes more sense.

not sure Crabtree is a 'main priority' yet? he still isn't showing his old self pre-injury.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i think we.ll move on from Boldin. he IS a good player but he also costs a lot. i would not give him anything near $6M a year over 2 years.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I can't see Boldin getting an enormous deal; I'd like to bring him back if possible.

Niners still need a deep threat at flanker though.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would venture to say that Manningham would get extended before Anquan. He would be much cheaper and I think the coaching staff is really fond of him. I think Quan and Vernon play too close of a similar role to really deem them both necessary.

If we look at who wint be back at a big number next yr that would include Goodwin, Rogers, Boldin, and prolly Whitner. Out of those, I think Whitner has easily played himself into another cpl yrs, but I wouldnt wanna do anything close to 5 mil. Getting rid of the first three I believe would save close to 16-17 mil. If we are smart I would hope for us to sign Kaep to a 6yr/72mil deal and then try to extend Aldon for 5 yr, 58 mil.. those two deals would put us at close to only a
7 mil net difference..

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't see Boldin getting an enormous deal; I'd like to bring him back if possible.

Niners still need a deep threat at flanker though.

Here is a site to help you all out:
Future Free Agents | NinerCapHell.com
2014 Salaries | NinerCapHell.com
2015 Salaries | NinerCapHell.com

I agree with all of you, except paying Kap more than Rodgers' 2nd contract ($9mil/year).

I would really like to keep Crabtree, but if he's demanding >$9mil/year then forget it. I know you play towards the potential of the contract, but Crabtree was not worth what we've been paying him--only recently.

I'd like to keep the squad together as long as we can, because that's the only way we'll dominate this division and conference. Russell Wilson scares the shit out of me. I think Russell will get $15-20mil/year depending on if he wants money more than wins. He's going to stay no matter what, considering he's the sports figure of a city desperate for a Championship.

Kap on the other hand, is a question mark. Although I think he'll eventually be a top 15--maybe top 10--QB, I don't think it'd be a smart move to lock him up for too long. Aldon Smith, Crabtree, and Iupati should all be the main priority over Kap and they all deserve to get paid near the best, but this team is too smart to waste money like that.

Resign:

Tarell Brown - 3 year/$12 million. I think he's worth a little more than that, but he's aging and doesn't get much props. I said he would be one of the steals of the draft when we got him in the 6th, and he's played very well. We don't know if Culliver will get back to emerging as one of the better young CB's, and we're definitely letting go of Carlos Rogers; but it'd be safe to re-sign Brown. When we draft CB's, I wouldn't want to throw them into action without them being ready--like Kyle Wilson, Dee Milliner, etc.

Anquan Boldin - 2 year/$12mil. He has said time and time and again that he treats the NFL like a business. I don't think he'll get 2 year/$12mil on any other team. I'd even let him test free agency, and then offer 2 year/$10mil, which would be awesome. This would allow us to use the $2mil we save and put it towards Crabtree. It'd be like we didn't even spend any more to keep our WR corps.

Extend:
Aldon Smith - 5-6 year deal, $8.5mil/year. A few teams would pay >$12mil/year for his talent, but hometown discount.

Iupati - 5 year/$31 million (he's worth a little more, but this is the most I'd pay to keep him considering how tight we are with cap space and emerging talent). If Joe Looney continues to impress the coaches, then we should let go of Iupati. I love Iupati, but I'd hate to tie up $6mil/year on OG. Yes, he's pro-bowl/all-pro but if Looney can play at a pro-bowl alternate level then it'd be smart to lock him up long-term for a much more cap friendly deal.

Crabtree - 3-4 year, $9mil/year. Again, I wouldn't want to pay that much, but we've been so bad at WR we need it. He has the talent to be a top 10 WR, but I think he needs to prove more to get a lengthier deal.

Bruce Miller - 4 year/$12mil. I know it's a lot for a fullback, but he's top 3 at his position. Also, Kap is a question mark. If he fails, we could always go back to the power run offense which has done us wonders the previous two seasons.

Release:
Carlos Rogers
Craig Dahl

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we have a good team and tough decisions will be made. some quality players won't return cause just can't fit them all.

other teams with cap will offer much more, that's the nature of the beast.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with most everything you said, Kap should definitely be able to be extended at around 10 mil a year and Aldon will definitely give us a disount after what the organization did for him, although there is also that 5th year option clause we can always exercise. Still, I'd rather extend him this offseason for a little less and be set for the next 5 or 6 years..As for Crabtree, it may be in his interest to sign extension this offseason and get his money because if he waits he risks getting injured again and driving his price down even more. And we always have the option of the franchise tag as well. And I guess Iupati is last on my priority list...Tarell Brown is a goner, as for Whitner, I would love to keep him at the right price and he is having a very good season. But only at the right price. Loved the tandem of him and Reid..Boldin is definitely a priority for a couple years more as is Dawson.

I think that's optimistic. I'd be that he'll get more like $14 million a year. Alex Smith's extension with the Niners was for almost $9 million a year. Kap is younger and has done more. He has far more upside. He'll want to be paid more than Smith, and he will be. The team's performance in the playoffs could affect this, but I just can't see him giving the team that much of a discount.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would venture to say that Manningham would get extended before Anquan. He would be much cheaper and I think the coaching staff is really fond of him. I think Quan and Vernon play too close of a similar role to really deem them both necessary.

If we look at who wint be back at a big number next yr that would include Goodwin, Rogers, Boldin, and prolly Whitner. Out of those, I think Whitner has easily played himself into another cpl yrs, but I wouldnt wanna do anything close to 5 mil. Getting rid of the first three I believe would save close to 16-17 mil. If we are smart I would hope for us to sign Kaep to a 6yr/72mil deal and then try to extend Aldon for 5 yr, 58 mil.. those two deals would put us at close to only a
7 mil net difference..

I absolutely have to disagree with your Manningham take. There is no way they extend him. He is nothing more than a 3rd WR, and he's coming off a serious injury. With the promising Quinton Patton waiting in the wings, I cannot see Manningham being brought back...As for Boldin, if they can get him at 2 years 10 mil I say go for it. He moves the chains, catches everything thrown to him, and has great intangibles.