• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Iowa football (returning starters)

What grade would you give 2012 Iowa?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • C

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OFFENSE

Key Returners

James Vandenberg - Vandenberg has been among the top half of Big Ten quarterbacks in most of the passing stats. Despite losing one of Iowa's all-time greatest receivers, he will still have good receivers and a strong line in front of him.

Marcus Coker - Coker started big for Iowa in the Insight bowl last season. He has been the first running back since Shonn Greene to start every game from 1st game to bowl game. He has shown to be a strong running back and has had big plays for Iowa. However, he has not performed big against tough defenses this season. With a healthy McCall, I think Iowa should have a strong duo-running back tandem with Coker leading.

Keenan Davis and Kevante Martin-Manley - Keenan Davis has been a great #2 target for Vandenberg. Even though he had a costly drop against Iowa State, he still played big in that game. Martin-Manley hasn't had as big of an impact as Davis, but he still made a small name for himself. I can see Davis stepping up as the top receiver and Martin-Manley will be a good #2 receiver.

CJ Fiedorowicz and Zach Derby - Fiedorowicz is a great tight end for Iowa. He blocks great and he catches great. Derby has great hands but he has had costly fumbles for Iowa. With the help of Coker and McCall with the run and Davis and Martin-Manley with receiving, Iowa should have great TE's for a while now.

James Ferentz - Kirk Ferentz knows how to raise offensive linemen. James Ferentz has been a great blocker for Iowa this season. I have not seen if he is going pro or not. IMO, I think he has been the most impressive OL on Iowa. I feel Reiff has been a little disappointing.

OFFENSE Grade: B+ - I don't think Iowa will have the best offense or any of the top positions in the Big Ten. I do believe V'berg will be among the best in the Big Ten. Fiedorowicz might be among the best tight ends in the nation.

DEFENSE

Steve Bigach - Bigach had a tremendous task to fill this season. Being a starter the season after Clayborn & Co left. Now he is the only returner from this season's starting DL. He is also not a star DL this season. The DL will most likely be the weakest point for the Hawkeyes next season.

James Morris and Christian Kirksey - James Morris has been a key to Iowa's defense this season. He will have a bigger role next season as Iowa loses most of their other key defensive starters. Christian Kirksey has played good, but has not been a key to Iowa's struggling defense. If he steps up, he could be a strong #2 LB for Iowa.

Micah Hyde and Tanner Miller - Hyde has been a popular defensive DB for Iowa these past 2 seasons. I personally believe he is overrated, but he will need to step up next season as he will be expected to be the key DB. Miller has had some big plays, but he has been in the shadow of Hyde, Prater, and Berstine.

DEFENSE Grade: D+ - This is a very difficult time for Ferentz on defense. Losing 3 DL for the 2nd consecutive season. Iowa is also losing 2 key secondary players for the 2nd straight year as well. They will have 2-4 players that will play above average, and the rest to play average or below.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Mike Meyer - Meyer has shown he can be a great kicker, but he has also shown he can struggle as well. I've been so impressed someone can hit the upright as much as he has. Meyer can really kick the ball but will need to be more accurate next season.

Micah Hyde
- Hyde is pretty good at returning, but he is no great returner. If the return team has done a decent job blocking for him, he has reached Iowa's 35-50. He is no TD returner, but he is good enough to give Iowa good field position.

SPECIAL TEAMS Grade: C+ - The punter will probably be average. Hyde won't be anything special as a returner. Meyer will probably be an above average kicker, but he won't be up for any awards. I don't think Iowa will have a great or bad special teams. Just average or a tad better.

IOWA Grade: C+ - Iowa should be strong on offense. Not very good on defense. and average on special teams. Teams with great defenses and an average offense will be able to beat Iowa.

What do you think? What grade would you give 2012 Iowa?

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends on the D and if we open up the playbook next year...but I think were in for more of the same next year

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa will be lucky to get to 6-6 next year IMO.