• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012-2013 Oscars / 85th Academy Awards

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_mir5gkrbyt1qhexeno1_500.gif

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed Reed replaced Rob Gronkowski as official NFL Network correspondent for the Oscars a couple of days ago. Did the Pats organization fear too much partying for Gronk?

Last edited by a moderator:

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For people wondering why Kristen Stewart was on crutches, her makeup artist said "[She] cut the ball of her foot, quite severely, on glass two days ago. [She's in] a little bit of pain."

She won a Razzie for Twilight a couple of days ago, from what I read. Related? Dunno. Poor girl. She looks tired.

kstew2.jpg

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard of half of these people.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch, nor have I read this thread. But let me predict what happened.

A liberal artsy film won Film of the year.

Some actor or actress won best actor or actress because they played some liberal open minded character in an artsy, and they may or may not have done charity work in Africa.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch, nor have I read this thread. But let me predict what happened.

A liberal artsy film won Film of the year.

Some actor or actress won best actor or actress because they played some liberal open minded character in an artsy, and they may or may not have done charity work in Africa.

For as liberal as Hollywood is, they typically like conservative movies. The Artist and The King's Speech were both EXTREMELY conservative. Argo didn't really lean one way or the other, though it did speak soundly about the CIA (much in the same way that the likely #2, ZDT, did). I never got the "Oscars are the too liberal" stuff because outside of a Crash (widely panned as the worst Best Picture of recent years), it hasn't been remotely true.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen six of the Best Picture Nominees (I didn't see Life of Pi, Amour, or Beasts of the Southern Wild). Out of the six I saw, i'd rank them:

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. Argo
3. Silver Linings Playbook
---------------------------(Noticeable Dropoff)
4. Django
5. Lincoln
6. Les Mis

Best Actor should go to Bradley Cooper.
Best Actress should go to Jessica Chastain.
Best Supporting Actor should go to Tommy Lee Jones.
I wasn't impressed enough with any of the Best Supporting Actress nominees to give it to any of them, though supposedly Helen Hunt was good (didn't see The Sessions)

I had Lincoln, Argo, ZDThirty, and Silver Linings in that order. Daniel Day Lewis was unbelievable.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any movie that spends the first ten minutes like a fourth grade history class, needing to hopelessly explain what is going on, doesn't deserve to be nominated for Best Picture. The contrast between that and ZDT was so clear in that regard. And yes, the historical liberties (get it...it's a pun) taken to make the movie more exciting were pretty depressing.

Most people don't remember the 4th grade.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a crying shame that Daniel-Day Lewis won. I'm sorry, but Lincoln spent half of the movie acting like a total dimwit who everyone ignored. He gives one decent monologue in a movie where he is completely overpowered and they give it to him anyways. His accent was a simple Midwestern accent. His facial expression was aloof the entire movie. It just wasn't an exceptional acting performance, and apparently people care about name more than performance.

We must have seen a different picture.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For people wondering why Kristen Stewart was on crutches, her makeup artist said "[She] cut the ball of her foot, quite severely, on glass two days ago. [She's in] a little bit of pain."

She won a Razzie for Twilight a couple of days ago, from what I read. Related? Dunno. Poor girl. She looks tired.

kstew2.jpg

Yes, tired. Tired as in "damn. I'm out of cocaine" tired.

Read a lot today about how MacFarlene sucked. I found some clips on Youtube. I've determined people that say he sucked are just uptight dickwads. What I saw wasn't astounding, but he wasn't terrible. I guess everyone just wants that preening schmo Billy "I barely peaked in the late 80s" Crystal to host and do the same jokes every year.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Read a lot today about how MacFarlene sucked. I found some clips on Youtube. I've determined people that say he sucked are just uptight dickwads. What I saw wasn't astounding, but he wasn't terrible. I guess everyone just wants that preening schmo Billy "I barely peaked in the late 80s" Crystal to host and do the same jokes every year.

He was the very definition of hit or miss last night. Some times his jokes bombed, and some times he struck gold.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it looks like the world is weighing heavy on her. Hate to see it.

I didn't catch the Oscars. I've only seen Seth host those roasts on Comedy Central. He seems professional and personable enough. Read somewhere that he may have been a bit nervous at the beginning of the Oscars, but bounced back, even if his jokes didn't always sit right with some out there.