• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2001 Lakers vs 2017 Warriors

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,346.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State's weakness is defending the post. Shaq would have averaged 35ppg, 15rpg and 3bpg vs the Warriors post defense of McGee and Pachulia. Shaq would absolutely dominate.

Kobe would put up 25ppg and neutralize Thompson on defense.

These 2 would be good enogh for the Lakers to win in 6. Not to mention, the coaching advantage clearly goes to Jackson.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,346.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That SHAQ was in great shape. He was still in his 20s and razor focused to win.
Dont confuse him with the fatter lazy dis-interested SHAQ.

2000-2002 SHAQ was the best player who ever played the game, and it aint even close.
Sure, his career was up and down thanks to commitment levels. But, we are discussing the 2001 version.

Kobe and Rick Fox were elite defenders at this point in time who would slow down KD and Thompson.
Robert Horry was a criminally under-rated defender. He should have made at least one all NBA defense.
He could easily guard any post players and protect Shaq if needed.
Even Fisher was a good defender if not quite as good as Fox, Kobe, and Horry.

Recipe for the 4 game sweep (3 steps):
1) Just throw the ball to SHAQ. Laugh out loud watching the GS bigs get annihilated.
2) Send out all those great defenders on the other end...and let Shaq coast a bit on defense.
3) Raise Trophy after 4 easy Laker wins.

I like a lot of your points but it wouldn't be a sweep. I said Lakers in 6, maybe 5 if they really just controlled the tempo and ran a halfcourt game and didn't get sucked into running up and down the floor.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,346.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People thinking the 2001 Lakers are an all time great team are no older then 25. 2 hall of famer with a bunch of cast offs and bums. I bet the 89 Pistons bench could beat them. No BS either. The Microwave, Aguire, Salley, Rodman, Budha Edwards would have schooled that 2 man squad.

You're an idiot. That Lakers squad had 2 great players in Shaq and Kobe plus key role players in Fisher, Horry, Fox, Grant, Shaw and Harper.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,346.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report. Do you know that's not professional writers. They ranked the 2011 Mavericks over the 88 Lakers show time teams. Brilliant.

Um, Bleacher Report has Howard Beck.....one of the best writers in the business......fail again, sunshine.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,346.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo true. The graphics are better now but Atari was just as much fun! I just closed my eyes and saw Bobby Jones "D"ing up Kobe while Dr. J fills the lane and dunks on Shaq.

You're fucking nuts......these spoiled brats have way better video games nowadays. Not even fucking close.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,346.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State's weakness is defending the post. Shaq would have averaged 35ppg, 15rpg and 3bpg vs the Warriors post defense of McGee and Pachulia. Shaq would absolutely dominate.

These 2 would be good enogh for the Lakers to win in 6. Not to mention, the coaching advantage clearly goes to Jackson.

Not that they'd outscore them 60-59.....or anything. That duo would do enough for the other Laker role players to do what they do and for them to win in 6 games. Assuming they dictate the pace and I think they'd be able to to with a lot of passing and pounding the ball into Shaq and Kobe helping out.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq is the x-factor here as Golden State has nobody like him.

Who would win this series would be based on whether the Lakers can pound the ball down low or if the Warriors can make Shaq a non-factor.

Whichever team makes the other one play their style is the team that comes out on top.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, Bleacher Report has Howard Beck.....one of the best writers in the business......fail again, sunshine.

Yeah, he is a genius. Thats why they ranked the 2001 Lakers at 16.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're fucking nuts......these spoiled brats have way better video games nowadays. Not even fucking close.

I'm telling you... the technology is incredible. The graphics amaze me... but they aren't more fun

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're an idiot. That Lakers squad had 2 great players in Shaq and Kobe plus key role players in Fisher, Horry, Fox, Grant, Shaw and Harper.

That's what I said... 2 great players and a bunch of bums past their prime.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cmon guys.

Shaq would get his. But he would also be a defensive liability against the Warriors offense. This cannot simply be broken down into 1 on 1 matchups because the Warriors are far greater than the sum of their parts, and the parts are elite. But, if you want to look at matchups:

Curry >>>> Fisher
Klay < Kobe
KD >>>> Fox
Green >> Horry
Zaza <<<<< Shaq

Warrior bench >> Laker bench

Kobe and Shaq were great, but so are Steph and KD. The Warrriors have more, better weapons beyond their big 2. The other thing you guys forget is that the Warriors could double off Horry (in the first 3 quarters) or Fox to send bodies toward Shaq. you can't double anybody on GS. As good as Fish and Fox were defensively, they are barely slowing Curry and KD down. At least Klay can make Kobe work defensively.

Assuming they win the title, they legitimately belong in the GOAT discussion, which is a place you will not find the 2001 Lakers.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bunch of bums past their prime? :L:L

Discussion is over.....clearly you never watched them.

Come on dude. Brian Shaw. Cut me a break. A 50 year old Harper? Shaq and Kobe were so brilliant me and you could have won a ring starting for that team. They were amazing but not a top 15 all time team. Magic, Worthy, Cooper, Kareem would have bust their ass.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,346.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon guys.

Shaq would get his. But he would also be a defensive liability against the Warriors offense. This cannot simply be broken down into 1 on 1 matchups because the Warriors are far greater than the sum of their parts, and the parts are elite. But, if you want to look at matchups:

Curry >>>> Fisher
Klay < Kobe
KD >>>> Fox
Green >> Horry
Zaza <<<<< Shaq

Warrior bench >> Laker bench

Kobe and Shaq were great, but so are Steph and KD. The Warrriors have more, better weapons beyond their big 2. The other thing you guys forget is that the Warriors could double off Horry (in the first 3 quarters) or Fox to send bodies toward Shaq. you can't double anybody on GS. As good as Fish and Fox were defensively, they are barely slowing Curry and KD down. At least Klay can make Kobe work defensively.

Assuming they win the title, they legitimately belong in the GOAT discussion, which is a place you will not find the 2001 Lakers.

BS. Fox was still a very good defender and he'd make KD work....plus they'd be bringing in Horry off the bench to defend KD. And Horry was a very good defender still as well.

BTW, Grant started at PF and Horry came off the bench.....to backup both forward spots.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS. Fox was still a very good defender and he'd make KD work....plus they'd be bringing in Horry off the bench to defend KD. And Horry was a very good defender still as well.

BTW, Grant started at PF and Horry came off the bench.....

Ok fine.

Green is still a lot better than Grant was at that point in his career. He was far past his glory days.

I realize Horry and Fox are good defenders, but KD is an all time great scorer and neither deliver much offense. Pachulia/McGEE + double does more to slow Shaq than either Fox or Horry does to slow KD one on 1. Sorry, but that is just truth.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,346.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok fine.

Green is still a lot better than Grant was at that point in his career. He was far past his glory days.

I realize Horry and Fox are good defenders, but KD is an all time great scorer and neither deliver much offense. Pachulia/McGEE + double does more to slow Shaq than either Fox or Horry does to slow KD one on 1. Sorry, but that is just truth.

You're remembering wrong. Fox and Horry averaged a combined 16ppg in the 2001 postseason. Fox 10ppg and Horry around 6ppg. That's not too bad from the SF position when they also had Shaq and Kobe plus the other key role players already mentioned. Fisher averaged 13.4ppg that playoff run.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the Day the "Peak Shaq" factor is too much for the Warriors to overcome. Thats the difference. With how weak GS interior is, Shaq gets close to 45 mpg. Kobe will get his 25 plus. And they will get Solid contribution from their role players and they got great defenders like Harper out there don't forget.

And they got the Zen Master genius Phil out there. Who can adapt to ALL opponents.

The series wouldn't be a blowout or anything but the Lakers still win in 6.

Shaq during 2001 was arguably the 2nd most dominant Force in NBA history. As great or Curry/Durant are. They aren't 2001 Shaq. And neither is Lebron.

If the Warriors had a great BIG down low it may be different. But they don't. Shaq would feast on that interior

And 2001 Kobe is as capable of being as much of a force as Curry/Durant are.

And Lakers aren't going to play a fast tempo which is the Cavs bread and butter but GS just does it better. They are going to slow play now and dissect in half court triangle sets

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're remembering wrong. Fox and Horry averaged a combined 16ppg in the 2001 postseason. Fox 10ppg and Horry around 6ppg. That's not too bad from the SF position when they also had Shaq and Kobe plus the other key role players already mentioned. Fisher averaged 13.4ppg that playoff run.

You said it. Fox was a role player. Whoever guards him is not having to expend a ton of energy. That is my point. Most of his shots came because his man was doubling down on Shaq.

I realize I am not convincing a Laker fan that his favorite team was not as good as this Warrior group, but only 1 of them belongs in the GOAT conversation and it isn't the Lakers.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said it. Fox was a role player. Whoever guards him is not having to expend a ton of energy. That is my point. Most of his shots came because his man was doubling down on Shaq.

I realize I am not convincing a Laker fan that his favorite team was not as good as this Warrior group, but only 1 of them belongs in the GOAT conversation and it isn't the Lakers.

LOL. Let's not jinx it. The Warriors need 2 more wins this season to get into that GOAT conversation. With all the expectations, I wonder if it will be more of a sigh of relief rather than a celebration if they're able to get these final two wins.

Do you buy into the advanced statistical analyses? In fivethirtyeight.com's Elo Rating, this season's Warriors have achieved the highest rating ever. However, it will mean little to me if they don't finish the job this year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Let's not jinx it. The Warriors need 2 more wins this season to get into that GOAT conversation. With all the expectations, I wonder if it will be more of a sigh of relief rather than a celebration if they're able to get these final two wins.

Do you buy into the advanced statistical analyses? In fivethirtyeight.com's Elo Rating, this season's Warriors have achieved the highest rating ever. However, it will mean little to me if they don't finish the job this year.

They definitely need to finish the job. You are right about that.

I do buy most analytics. Not completely sold on ELO, but the eye test tells me all I need to know about the Warriors.