• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

20 Greatest Bowl Games Of All-Time

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see the Chicken Soup Bowl crack the top ten, even though the wrong team won. Definitely a prelude to what was to follow Montana into the NFL.

"#10: 1979 Cotton Bowl (Notre Dame 35, Houston 34)Two words put this game just into the top half of this list: Joe Montana. And while you're at it, you can add the words "chicken soup game" to his name. Because when it comes to the 1979 Cotton Bowl Classic, the words "Joe Montana" and "chicken soup game" are synonymous with each other. Notre Dame scored the first 12 points of the day on this bitter New Year's Day in Dallas, but trailed Houston 20-12 at the half, and were without Montana, who was reportedly being treated for chills and a fever caused by the cold conditions, returning miraculously in the fourth quarter to lead Notre Dame back from a 34-12 deficit to a 35-34 win, throwing a tying touchdown on the game's last play, with the Irish winning it with an extra point after the game clock had already expired, leaving the Cougars as the ones feeling a little sick after witnessing an early edition of "Montana Magic" up close and personal."

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has 3 of the top 11 - (all Texas wins);

Oklahoma made the list twice as well - (both losses).:dhd:

Texas's only recent national championship also has the #1 spot on the list.

Not much of a mystery, since the author of the list, John Garces, LIVES IN TEXAS. :L

Wow, a Texan native likes Texas wins and Oklahoma losses? Blatant homerism is a surprise? :clap:

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not much of a mystery, since the author of the list, John Garces, LIVES IN TEXAS. :L

Wow, a Texan native likes Texas wins and Oklahoma losses? Blatant homerism is a surprise? :clap:

Should have been titled "Best Bowl Games of All Time for a 30 Year Old That Has No Clue About History".

I guess bowl games started in the late 70s? :L

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama/LSU....Best NC Game Ever!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, that was filled with stupid. Texas/USC has long been considered one of the best games ever played. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that did not put that bowl game in their top 3.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska was jobbed in the #6 Orange Bowl vs Florida State.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put them in a different order, and include some that he didn't mention. And if we want to be homers, the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is tops, I was there at the 50 yard line. But hey, don't mind me, Ian & Chrissy were happily married in our church, I work on the BSU campus, and have not missed a BSU game in 25 years. I'm not a bit biased! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Texas folks are famous for thinly veiled opinions, but I've never figured out whether or not they prefer Texas teams winning or Oklahoma and Arkansas teams losing. Besides these lists are only good for chest thumping anyway.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put them in a different order, and include some that he didn't mention. And if we want to be homers, the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is tops, I was there at the 50 yard line. But hey, don't mind me, Ian & Chrissy were happily married in our church, I work on the BSU campus, and have not missed a BSU game in 25 years. I'm not a bit biased! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Texas folks are famous for thinly veiled opinions, but I've never figured out whether or not they prefer Texas teams winning or Oklahoma and Arkansas teams losing. Besides these lists are only good for chest thumping anyway.

That and, as Triumph The Insult Comic Dog might add, "to poop on!".

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that was filled with stupid. Texas/USC has long been considered one of the best games ever played. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that did not put that bowl game in their top 3.

Who said anything about it not being a good game?

The OP was making it out to be a big deal that were 3 Texas wins and 2 Oklahoma losses in this "top 20" list.

But that's not a big deal, or surprising at all, when the list is written by a Texan.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about it not being a good game?

The OP was making it out to be a big deal that were 3 Texas wins and 2 Oklahoma losses in this "top 20" list.

But that's not a big deal, or surprising at all, when the list is written by a Texan.

You are implying that the author was completely biased in his opinion that Texas/USC was the greatest bowl game. I could understand that if he put TExas/OregonState on the list, but his ranking is pretty much consensus. Just made no sense to claim a Texas conspiracy by the writer

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tOSU has 3. And epic NCG #2

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, I do think Neb/Miami is the only game that I think rivals the USC/Texas game. That was easily one of the best bowls games I have ever watched. Might have been a bit bigger, as it was the little engine that could going against Goliath. People forget that was pretty much the coming out party for the roll the state of Florida would play in CFB. I would not be upset if that was #1. In the end this is an opinion poll.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska was jobbed in the #6 Orange Bowl vs Florida State.

Not really. After Frazier completed that pass to your TE, the clock expired and the game was over. I even remember the FSU players giving Bowden the Gatorade shower b/c everybody thought the game was over. HOWEVER, the refs ruled that your TE was down before the game clock expired and added :01 to the clock and gave NU a chance to kick a FG for the victory. Just out of curiosity, were you Corn Fuckers bitchin and crying when the ref added another second? Of course not. Fucking hypocrites.....

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are implying that the author was completely biased in his opinion that Texas/USC was the greatest bowl game. I could understand that if he put TExas/OregonState on the list, but his ranking is pretty much consensus. Just made no sense to claim a Texas conspiracy by the writer

Bias is not a conspiracy, and I never claimed a "conspiracy" by the author. That's your word, not mine.

The point is that the original post was implying that a general view of top 20 bowls includes 3 Texas wins and 2 Oklahoma losses. But this list is not a consensus; it's just the opinion of 1 Texan writer.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at three of 'em. #7 (ASU versus Ohio State at the 1997 Rose Bowl), #4 (Boise versus OU at the 2007 Fiesta Bowl), and #2 (Ohio State versus Miami at the 2003 Fiesta Bowl). All them were amazing for their own reasons.

I was a whisker away from walking out of the '07 Fiesta after Zebransky threw the pick six. Thankfully my girlfriend at the time talked me out of leaving, insisting we stay. The rest is history. The most stunning thing I've ever witnessed. I couldn't believe my eyes. Actually reduced me to tears.

The 1997 Rose Bowl made me sick to my stomach. Plummer was a Boise boy making a run at the Heisman in a truly magical season. It was my sophomore year at ASU. That team was absolutely loaded. The students tore down the goal posts four different times that season (last second field goal win over Washington, shut out and bitch-slapped #1 Nebraska, Cal to clinch the Pac, and then on the road at U of Eh in Tuscum after a 56 to 14 curbstomping which was nothing short of beautiful). People may forget that like the '03 Fiesta, the '97 Rose Bowl featured future NFL players all over the field. If ASU would have won that game they would have been national champs. Instead my final memory will always be of David Boston doing the robot in the endzone after catching the last second, game winning pass ironically from a kid from Phoenix who ASU didn't want. The ultimate punch in the gut.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. After Frazier completed that pass to your TE, the clock expired and the game was over. I even remember the FSU players giving Bowden the Gatorade shower b/c everybody thought the game was over. HOWEVER, the refs ruled that your TE was down before the game clock expired and added :01 to the clock and gave NU a chance to kick a FG for the victory. Just out of curiosity, were you Corn Fuckers bitchin and crying when the ref added another second? Of course not. Fucking hypocrites.....
Do you ever go back and read your posts and think, "good lawd, I can be a real cock sucker"?
:laugh3:

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holy shit do you have some deep-seated issues that you need to take care of.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1981 Orange Bowl
#3 Oklahoma
#2 Florida State
Oklahoma Down 17-10 with 3:00 minutes left.
Wins 18-17

1976 Orange Bowl
#1 Oklahoma
#4 Michigan
14-6 final

Both great games.:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: