• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #2 Ohio State @ Penn State 8:00pm EST ABC

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is saying it counts more or less to win a night game. Any road win is a good win. For as long as I can remember -- they've said night road games are more difficult, as the home team is more amp'd, the crowd is louder (i.e. more drunk from tailgating all day), etc.

Here is a quote from a player regarding White Outs at PSU:

"The noise was actually vibrating through the facemask," Connor recalled earlier this week. "My helmet was shaking. When you play at Penn State, it's always loud -- but any of those White Out games, especially the night ones, it was a different level."

It is the same everywhere. It is not just Penn State. You still have to have some talent to win the game. UM played at night against Rutgers and lost by close to 100.

Penn St. is 5-6 in White Outs.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's proven that playing on the road is more difficult than playing on a neutral field or at home. I buy that 100%.

As far as I know, there is no proof out there that playing on the road at night is more difficult that playing on the road at noon. You are supporting an unproven thesis with conjecture.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's proven that playing on the road is more difficult than playing on a neutral field or at home. I buy that 100%.

As far as I know, there is no proof out there that playing on the road at night is more difficult that playing on the road at noon. You are supporting an unproven thesis with conjecture.
Yeah I can't find one study or article on that, I'd be interested in seeing a comparison

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess it'd just be nice if we got to play all of our games at home like another team I know of. We'd still be unbeaten...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't care enough to look deeper into noon start times or 8 at night start times. So call it an unproven thesis, call it conjecture -- call it whatever you'd like. I do know college teams hate road games at night, not only because of the crowd noise and atmosphere, but because it screws up the players schedules in the upcoming week. Instead of getting home at a normal hour, teams are getting home at 3, 4, 5 in the morning. IMO, no team should have to play back to back road games at night.

And yes, I saw your post about PSU being 5-6 during white outs and I will repeat, talent trumps all in college. This only started about a decade ago, which coincides with PSU struggling and then going through the Sandusky scandal. Just because you play at night isn't going to make you win. But if you look, I believe it was 2014, I think PSU took OSU to overtime in a game they shouldn't have even been close in terms of talent.

In the end -- the players still have to make plays. PSU made more and they won.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care enough to look deeper into noon start times or 8 at night start times. So call it an unproven thesis, call it conjecture -- call it whatever you'd like. I do know college teams hate road games at night, not only because of the crowd noise and atmosphere, but because it screws up the players schedules in the upcoming week. Instead of getting home at a normal hour, teams are getting home at 3, 4, 5 in the morning. IMO, no team should have to play back to back road games at night.

And yes, I saw your post about PSU being 5-6 during white outs and I will repeat, talent trumps all in college. This only started about a decade ago, which coincides with PSU struggling and then going through the Sandusky scandal. Just because you play at night isn't going to make you win. But if you look, I believe it was 2014, I think PSU took OSU to overtime in a game they shouldn't have even been close in terms of talent.

It doesn't take an extreme level of research to understand how different road night games are from road day games. Fans are louder, that atmosphere is rowdier, it's just a completely different feel. This is coming from someone who has attended many, many day and night games in one of the more daunting atmospheres in college football. The loudest games I've been to are undoubtedly night games. It's just much more difficult.

At the end of the day, you're right. Penn State made the plays they needed to in order to win the game. That's the simple truth.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got Ohio State by at least 2 TDs in this one

On a sidenote, I've read the human brain can actually erase traumatic events from your memory

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Confirmation bias.