• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1st place sox, Poo-holes to the DL, and Papelbon speaks (again)

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a weekend

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as pickles boats his way to work this morning:

Jonathan Papelbon questions Phils

Updated: July 28, 2013, 10:04 PM ET

The Philadelphia Phillies lost their eighth straight game Sunday, a 12-4 rout at the hands of the Detroit Tigers, dropping them to a season-worst seven games below .500.

The frustration is becoming more and more palpable as losses mount, trade rumors swirl about the team and playoff hopes fade away.

i
No, I would like to stay here. But if I'm going to have to put up with this year after year, then no, I don't want to be here. Why would you? Why would anybody?
” -- Jonathan Papelbon to MLB.com​
"I definitely didn't come here for this," Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon told MLB.com.

Papelbon is among the names being bandied about as a potential trade chip if the Phillies decide to deal away pieces as they look to build toward the future. He signed a four-year, $50 million deal in 2011 and is 2-0 with a 2.21 ERA and 20 saves in 25 opportunities this season.

Yet he does not want to be moved -- unless the Phillies continue their losing ways.

"No, I would like to stay here," said Papelbon. "But if I'm going to have to put up with this year after year, then no, I don't want to be here. Why would you? Why would anybody?"

One blueprint that intrigues Papelbon is the one used by the Red Sox -- ironically his former team. Two years ago they entered September as the leaders of the AL East, only to miss the playoffs following a late 7-20 swoon.

Sweeping changes followed quickly as manager Terry Francona was not retained, followed shortly by the departure of general manager Theo Epstein.

After that, players -- Papelbon included -- were not brought back as the Red Sox went through a complete makeover. Included in the purge were expensive, yet underachieving players such as Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez in last year's blockbuster trade with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Red Sox now? They have the second-best record in the American League.

"It's going to take, in my opinion, a lot," Papelbon said. "And in my opinion, I think it's going to have to be something very similar to what the Red Sox went through a couple years ago. From top to bottom."

The Phillies are reportedly open to moving Papelbon, perhaps as part of the sweeping changes he's calling for.

And if losing is the alternative, Papelbon is ready to pack his bags.

"That's part of it," said Papelbon. "That's part of the business. If you want to go in a different direction and I'm not a piece of that puzzle, so be it. This is a job. There are no feelings in this game. I left [Boston]. Carl left. Josh left. Adrian left. Now look at them."

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. declined comment to MLB.com.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope everyone had a good weekend. i had to get a ride into work again today. new (to me) vehicle will be ready after work today.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baby Jesus Homers on first pitch

Not a great weekend in NY, but those pesky Yanks still only 2 out in that WC

Ivan Nova has been unreal

Boston impressed me this weekend. Yanks have to chase those catchable O's

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope everyone had a good weekend. i had to get a ride into work again today. new (to me) vehicle will be ready after work today.
Be prepared to max out your credit card or bleed your savings.

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN MLB News

New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter was activated off the 15-day disabled list Sunday after recovering from a strained right quad muscle and homered in his first at-bat. Jeter, who finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored, was playing just his second game for the Yankees this season. He made his season debut on July 11 against Kansas City as the designated hitter, but was hurt while going 1-for-4 with an RBI during the 8-4 victory and was sidelined again. The 39-year-old veteran missed New York's first 91 games while recovering from a twice fractured ankle.

Angels slugger Albert Pujols was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a partial tear of the plantar fascia in his left foot. Pujols left the club on Saturday to have his nagging left foot injury evaluated. He has been hobbled by plantar fasciitis for most of the season, but it had been manageable. The 33-year-old first baseman is batting .258 with 17 homers and 64 RBI in 99 games this season, his second in southern California.

Miami Marlins hitting coach Tino Martinez resigned Sunday, following the release of published reports that outlines patters of abusive behavior. Martinez, who won four World Series titles with the Yankees over his 16-year career, was in his first season as the Marlins hitting coach. According to multiple reports, Martinez was physically and verbally abusive toward several Marlins players. Martinez, however, denies any physical abuse.

Former New York Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert was among three men inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame on a rainy Sunday in upstate New York. Ruppert, who owned the Yankees from 1915 until his death in 1939, was joined by umpire Hank O'Day and 19th century catcher Deacon White. All three were elected by the pre-integration committee and posthumously enshrined into the hallowed halls of Cooperstown, marking the first ceremony without a living inductee since 1965.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chris Davis correction is Upon us

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baby Jesus Homers on first pitch

Not a great weekend in NY, but those pesky Yanks still only 2 out in that WC

Ivan Nova has been unreal

Boston impressed me this weekend. Yanks have to chase those catchable O's

wasnt baby jesus, montero?

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL

Donovan McNabb will officially call it a career and will do so as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles. McNabb and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie will hold a press conference on Monday to make the announcement. The 36-year-old quarterback played his first 11 NFL seasons with the Eagles, then spent 2010 with Washington and the 2011 campaign with Minnesota before sitting out the 2012 season. McNabb led the Eagles to 91 wins in the regular season with nine playoff victories and holds nearly every team passing record, including 32,873 yards and 216 touchdown passes.

Baltimore Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta will miss the entire 2013 season after suffering a dislocated hip during training camp practice on Saturday. The fourth-year pro suffered the injury after colliding with safety James Ihedigbo. Pitta underwent surgery Saturday night to put his hip back into place, and the team is awaiting medical results to determine any other damage, but it is believed he also fractured his hip. Baltimore head coach John Harbaugh said that the Injured Reserve-Designated to Return option is not likely for Pitta because the injury will take a year to recover from. Pitta had one of his best seasons last year, with career highs of 61 catches for 669 yards and seven touchdowns for the Super Bowl champs.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tino Martinez time released roid rage

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees zero HRs since ASB

Yankee RH hitters no HRs since like 2002

Baby Jesus

First pitch

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees zero HRs since ASB

Yankee RH hitters no HRs since like 2002

Baby Jesus

First pitch

Yeah. I thought it was a great gesture to see the Rays give him the Cal Ripken All star treatment...

On a plus side, he manged to go 9 innings!!!

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL injuries getting nuts

Harvin
Maclin
Koppen
Pitta

Who's next?

God not Brady

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I thought it was a great gesture to see the Rays give him the Cal Ripken All star treatment...

On a plus side, he manged to go 9 innings!!!

Lol

Don't forget, it was David Price that served that meatball for 3000

Those Rays

Swell fellas

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Puig is a Bad Ass