• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1984 Niners

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the hullaballoo about the University of Pittsburg QB faking a slide and the defense slowing down and then he runs for a TD it reminded me of Montana in the 84 playoffs against the Giants when he faked running out of bounds and cut back in for a 52 yard gain. I watched a YouTube video of that game and my how the game has changed. Guys taking shots to the head, quarterbacks getting clobbered. And Joe Montana was the holder for the kicking game. That is unimaginable in today's game. And the huge sgoulder pads were hilarious. Enjoyed it so much I watched the NFC Championship game against the Bears as well.

I'd forgotten how ferocious and relentless the 49er front seven was, constantly changing players in and out so they were fresh in the 4th quarter. They had Phil Simms running for his life the whole game. Then the same thing against Chicago in the Championship game. 12 sacks of Steve Fuller and completely shut down Walter Payton. The Bears had zero yards passing in the first half. They shut Chicago out and the Giants only points were from Montana turnovers

I'd also forgotten what a turnover machine Montana was. 3 picks including a pick six against the Giants and another dropped pick six that the Giants should have had. Then against Chicago, he fumbles at the 1 yard line, throws a horrible pick at the 5 yard line in the end zone and then another as the 49ers were down inside the red zone trying to score right before the half. I don't remember him being that bad. The defense was so good they overcame all those Montana mistakes

I didn't remember how good Wendell Tyler was and how John Frank dominated Lawrence Taylor in the blocking game.

I' didn't remember that for that season Ray Wershing was 25 out of 36 on field goal tries. That would get you fired today. So many missed kicks in those days.

I'd forgotten just how dominant Dwight Clark was as well. Great entertainment on a rainy day down here in AZ

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With all the hullaballoo about the University of Pittsburg QB faking a slide and the defense slowing down and then he runs for a TD it reminded me of Montana in the 84 playoffs against the Giants when he faked running out of bounds and cut back in for a 52 yard gain. I watched a YouTube video of that game and my how the game has changed. Guys taking shots to the head, quarterbacks getting clobbered. And Joe Montana was the holder for the kicking game. That is unimaginable in today's game. And the huge sgoulder pads were hilarious. Enjoyed it so much I watched the NFC Championship game against the Bears as well.

I'd forgotten how ferocious and relentless the 49er front seven was, constantly changing players in and out so they were fresh in the 4th quarter. They had Phil Simms running for his life the whole game. Then the same thing against Chicago in the Championship game. 12 sacks of Steve Fuller and completely shut down Walter Payton. The Bears had zero yards passing in the first half. They shut Chicago out and the Giants only points were from Montana turnovers

I'd also forgotten what a turnover machine Montana was. 3 picks including a pick six against the Giants and another dropped pick six that the Giants should have had. Then against Chicago, he fumbles at the 1 yard line, throws a horrible pick at the 5 yard line in the end zone and then another as the 49ers were down inside the red zone trying to score right before the half. I don't remember him being that bad. The defense was so good they overcame all those Montana mistakes

I didn't remember how good Wendell Tyler was and how John Frank dominated Lawrence Taylor in the blocking game.

I' didn't remember that for that season Ray Wershing was 25 out of 36 on field goal tries. That would get you fired today. So many missed kicks in those days.

I'd forgotten just how dominant Dwight Clark was as well. Great entertainment on a rainy day down here in AZ
Fans naturally remember the offensive players, but the 49ers had top defenses. It wasn't so much individual All-Pros, but just good all-around defenses. This adage was true for the 49ers back then......defenses get you to the Superbowl, your QB wins it.

With the rule changes now favoring the offense, this is no longer the case. You still need a somewhat good defense, but your offense needs to score and score. Because your offense needs to keep scoring, there is even more pressure to get a top QB. Hence the move to draft Trey Lance. We don't know how well he will turn out, but we knew we couldn't depend on JG to "win it".

Wendell Tyler had good acceleration, but he used to fumble too much. That's the reason he left the Rams. He wasn't THAT bad for the 49ers, except one season.

I recall for the most part, Wersching was 'money' from about 40 yards and in. Apparently, he had one bad season but i always thought he was the most consistent Kicker we ever had.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans naturally remember the offensive players, but the 49ers had top defenses. It wasn't so much individual All-Pros, but just good all-around defenses. This adage was true for the 49ers back then......defenses get you to the Superbowl, your QB wins it.

With the rule changes now favoring the offense, this is no longer the case. You still need a somewhat good defense, but your offense needs to score and score. Because your offense needs to keep scoring, there is even more pressure to get a top QB. Hence the move to draft Trey Lance. We don't know how well he will turn out, but we knew we couldn't depend on JG to "win it".

Wendell Tyler had good acceleration, but he used to fumble too much. That's the reason he left the Rams. He wasn't THAT bad for the 49ers, except one season.

I recall for the most part, Wersching was 'money' from about 40 yards and in. Apparently, he had one bad season but i always thought he was the most consistent Kicker we ever had.
In 84 Tyler set the rushing record for the Niners. He didn't fumble once in the playoffs. I remember telling my friend who was a Rams fan that I was really happy that they traded Tyler to the Niners. He told me "Just wait til you see how many times he fumbles". As I recall. he continued that trend his first few games with the Niners.

Another strange thing I saw while watching the Super Bowl that year against the Dolphins was that all the 49er wide receivers, Clark, Solomon, Wilson and Nehemiah all had a hand in the dirt when lined up. Can't remember seeing any wide receiver get in a three point stance in forever, but the Niner receivers did it on every play. As most reliable kicker, other than our current guy, I'd go with David Akers or Gary Anderson

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough team for sure.

In your memory do you recall Rice as a rookie or in his 2nd year, in a playoff game versus the Giants running free to the end zone only to drop the ball without being touched?

I have a recollection of something like that but when I search Youtube I can never come up with it.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fucking hell if I didn't find it this time when looking.

1986 playoff game, 49ers opening drive.

LOL. I was 7 years old and decided I was going to start following sports. This is actually the first football game I ever watched. Brutal. Good thing the SF Giants were good that year and the Warriors were a fun team. Beating the Lakers in one game in the playoffs felt like a big accomplishment because that Lakers team looked unbeatable.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough team for sure.

In your memory do you recall Rice as a rookie or in his 2nd year, in a playoff game versus the Giants running free to the end zone only to drop the ball without being touched?

I have a recollection of something like that but when I search Youtube I can never come up with it.
I can see it like it was yesterday. The Niners lost that game 49-3 and I remember Lawrence Taylor had a great quote when asked by a reporter after the game "If Rice hadn't lost that ball going into the end zone early in the game would it have been a different game?" and Taylor said "Yeah, it would have been 49-10".

My most sickening 49er memory was the 1983 championship game against the Redskins when the 49ers came back to tie it after being down 21-0 in the 4th quarter and the refs stole the game from them on horrendous calls against Eric Wright and Ronnie Lott on the final drive. Still irks me to this day. Closely followed by Craig's fumble when running out the clock in the NFC Championship game in 1990 which cost the 49ers a three-peat shot in the Super Bowl.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can see it like it was yesterday. The Niners lost that game 49-3 and I remember Lawrence Taylor had a great quote when asked by a reporter after the game "If Rice hadn't lost that ball going into the end zone early in the game would it have been a different game?" and Taylor said "Yeah, it would have been 49-10".

My most sickening 49er memory was the 1983 championship game against the Redskins when the 49ers came back to tie it after being down 21-0 in the 4th quarter and the refs stole the game from them on horrendous calls against Eric Wright and Ronnie Lott on the final drive. Still irks me to this day. Closely followed by Craig's fumble when running out the clock in the NFC Championship game in 1990 which cost the 49ers a three-peat shot in the Super Bowl.
Craig's fumble is my most sickening memory...................by far!

It is RARE for a team to even repeat so to be in position to 3-peat?! No doubt in my mind they would've won the SB.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is RARE for a team to even repeat so to be in position to 3-peat?! No doubt in my mind they would've won the SB.
Yes worst memory - but I saw it as Steve Young replaced injured Montana and handed the ball to Craig up high, triggering the fumble.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt. Do you remember the 83 game though?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. Do you remember the 83 game though?
Those 2 DPI calls were just horrendous. "Questionable" doesn't even cover it. There are Skin fans here on the hoop that'll admit how "lucky" they were to get those calls. Karma paid them back when the Raiders pasted them in the SB.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closely followed by Craig's fumble when running out the clock in the NFC Championship game in 1990 which cost the 49ers a three-peat shot in the Super Bowl.
Craig's fumble is my most sickening memory...................by far! It is RARE for a team to even repeat so to be in position to 3-peat?! No doubt in my mind they would've won the SB.
Yes worst memory - but I saw it as Steve Young replaced injured Montana and handed the ball to Craig up high, triggering the fumble.
That fumble is probably my worst Niner memory. Then again, I disagree with deep in that with Montana out and Young making his first start of the season in the SB, I think the Bills would've beaten us in the SB. B/c the Bills never won a SB, people forget just how good they were.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those 2 DPI calls were just horrendous. "Questionable" doesn't even cover it. There are Skin fans here on the hoop that'll admit how "lucky" they were to get those calls. Karma paid them back when the Raiders pasted them in the SB.
Remember how far over Monk's head that ball was where they called interference on Eric Wright? Walsh was so infuriated he got fined for criticizing the refs post game. The one on Lott was just ridiculous. I swear the NFL wanted Riggins and the Hogs in the Super Bowl.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting nugget from back in those days.

For a decade, from 1981 through 1990, the NFC, and really the SB, was about the Niners, Giants, Bears, and Redskins.
--No other NFC team made the SB in that period
--Those 4 teams won every SB but 1 (1983 season, Raiders over Skins).
--Those 4 teams only losses in the NFC Championship Game were to each other

The Niners won 4 SBs, lost 2 NFCCG (83 Skins, 90 Giants)
The Skins won 2 SBs, lost 1 SB, lost 1 NFCCG (86 Giants)
The Giants won 2 SBs, 0 NFCCG losses
The Bears won 1 SB, lost 2 NFCCG (84 and 88, Niners)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fumble is probably my worst Niner memory. Then again, I disagree with deep in that with Montana out and Young making his first start of the season in the SB, I think the Bills would've beaten us in the SB. B/c the Bills never won a SB, people forget just how good they were.

The Bills were basically a dynasty that didn't win a Super Bowl.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Though I did watch the Niners lose to the Giants and Vikings in the playoffs in my first two years as a fan, by the time the Niners were going for a threepeat, I was 11 years old and had come to believe that the Niners were unbeatable. I was completely shocked. And the NY Giants didn't even score a single TD in that game. The only two times I cried over sports is that game and the SF Giants losing on the last day of the 1993 season.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never knew about that detail.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting nugget from back in those days.

For a decade, from 1981 through 1990, the NFC, and really the SB, was about the Niners, Giants, Bears, and Redskins.
--No other NFC team made the SB in that period
--Those 4 teams won every SB but 1 (1983 season, Raiders over Skins).
--Those 4 teams only losses in the NFC Championship Game were to each other

The Niners won 4 SBs, lost 2 NFCCG (83 Skins, 90 Giants)
The Skins won 2 SBs, lost 1 SB, lost 1 NFCCG (86 Giants)
The Giants won 2 SBs, 0 NFCCG losses
The Bears won 1 SB, lost 2 NFCCG (84 and 88, Niners)
And that SKins loss was only right after they only got in there because of the horrendous officiating in the NFC Championship game.