• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1981 - 2019

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In '81 the team came out of nowhere to go 13 and 3, have home field throughout the playoffs, had the best record in the NFC and won the Super Bowl with an offensive minded coach in his third year with the team...…...

A pattern forming?

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If they go one to win the SB, maybe?

But obviously, we're far from having won the SB.

I seem to recall that '81 defense didn't have nearly the same 'draft capital' as this team? Everyone remembers the 3 rookies for the secondary, but they weren't 1st rounders like the four we drafted on the D-line. Not to say that defense didn't play well, they played VERY well. But just a bunch of underrated no names.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they go one to win the SB, maybe?

But obviously, we're far from having won the SB.

I seem to recall that '81 defense didn't have nearly the same 'draft capital' as this team? Everyone remembers the 3 rookies for the secondary, but they weren't 1st rounders like the four we drafted on the D-line. Not to say that defense didn't play well, they played VERY well. But just a bunch of underrated no names.
They probably are a notch below a Super Bowl team and not quite ready to win it but everyone said that about the 81 team as well; another similarity.
As for the secondary, in '81 Lott was a first rounder, Wright was the second rounder and Williamson was the third rounder. They drafted for and filled needs the same way in both years. Also the '81 team made a great trade or a pass rusher (Dean) as did this year's team and both teams got free agent help at LB (Reynolds and Alexander)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They probably are a notch below a Super Bowl team and not quite ready to win it but everyone said that about the 81 team as well; another similarity.
As for the secondary, in '81 Lott was a first rounder, Wright was the second rounder and Williamson was the third rounder. They drafted for and filled needs the same way in both years. Also the '81 team made a great trade or a pass rusher (Dean) as did this year's team and both teams got free agent help at LB (Reynolds and Alexander)

That '81 team started with far less draft capital and 'pedigree' than this team. IF this team goes on to win the SB, IMO the '81 teams is still more surprising.

This team has certainly exceeded expectations too, but not as much as '81.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That '81 team started with far less draft capital and 'pedigree' than this team. IF this team goes on to win the SB, IMO the '81 teams is still more surprising.

This team has certainly exceeded expectations too, but not as much as '81.
One could make an argument for that. I'll agree to that.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno about parallels... but on this day, back in 1982 - The Catch launched a dynasty.

I was in 4th grade sitting on the couch with my dad. He went bat shit crazy. Have been a rabid 49er fan ever since.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno about parallels... but on this day, back in 1982 - The Catch launched a dynasty.

I was in 4th grade sitting on the couch with my dad. He went bat shit crazy. Have been a rabid 49er fan ever since.
I provided tons of examples of parallels. One difference is that this year we might get lucky and other teams will do the dirty work for us of beating Seattle and New Orleans and we can get to the Super Bowl without playing them

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I jumped higher than Dwight Clark did in my living room when he made that catch

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another one. We thrashed the number two seed in the regular season and then played them at home in the NFC Championship game in 81. We are doing the same thing in 2019. We thrashed GB in the regular season at home and are playing them in the NFC Championship game this year.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another one. We thrashed the number two seed in the regular season and then played them at home in the NFC Championship game in 81. We are doing the same thing in 2019. We thrashed GB in the regular season at home and are playing them in the NFC Championship game this year.

To finish this whole parallel thing off, I assume you believe that Tennessee will upset high flying Chiefs, much like Andersen and the much-less-talented-Bengals took out the Chargers? Or are Tennessee the guys that we should be avoiding?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To finish this whole parallel thing off, I assume you believe that Tennessee will upset high flying Chiefs, much like Andersen and the much-less-talented-Bengals took out the Chargers? Or are Tennessee the guys that we should be avoiding?
No. We'll get KC in The Bowl, I guarantee it.