• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #11 UCLA @ #15 ASU

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
UCLA BRUINS (3-0) at ARIZONA STATE SUN DEVILS (3-0)
Arizona State -5.5, Total: 59.5
[/FONT]

images

Let's get this one started.

:suds:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Thursday night will be a huge night in determining the Pac-12 conference, as No. 11 UCLA travels to Tempe to take on No. 15 Arizona State.

Quarterback play is big in any game, but it may be even more important on Thursday night. In a 20-17 victory against Texas on Sept. 13, Bruins star QB Brett Hundley left the game early with an arm injury, but Jerry Neuheisel was able to come in and get the victory for the team. Right now, UCLA has not commented on who will be the starting quarterback in this game.

However, for Arizona State, QB Taylor Kelly will not start after suffering a foot injury. That means junior QB Mike Bercovici will get the start for the Sun Devils. While the Bruins (0-3 ATS) have not been dominant early in the season, winning all three of their games by a combined 18 points, the Sun Devils (1-2 ATS) have done a good job of taking care of business by winning all three of their games by at least 14 points.

This series has been tight since 1992 with ASU holding a 10-9 SU advantage, and UCLA having the 9-8-2 ATS edge. The Sun Devils hold a 5-3 SU edge at home in this timeframe with the clubs splitting the games 4-4 ATS. The past three meetings have been decided by a total of eight points with the Bruins winning 29-28 in 2011 and 45-43 in 2012 before falling at home to ASU last year, 38-33.

This series also has led to a lot of high-scoring games, as 11 of the past 17 meetings have finished Over the total. While UCLA is 49-31 ATS (61%) in September games since 1992, Arizona State's Todd Graham is 9-0 ATS as a home underdog of seven points or less as a college head coach.

Bruins LB Myles Jack (ankle) and Sun Devils DB Ezekiel Bishop (undisclosed) headline the list of players who are questionable for this game.

The Bruins were able to find out they have a quality backup after QB Jerry Neuheisel’s performance against Texas when he completed 23-of-30 passes for 178 yards and two touchdowns. While he showed he can win, going on the road in conference play is much more difficult. If QB Brett Hundley (686 pass yards, 8.5 YPA, 3 TD, 1 INT) is unable to go for the Bruins, they lose a guy at the quarterback position who can make plays with both his arm and his legs (74 rush yards, 1 TD).

If Neuheisel is playing quarterback, that means UCLA will have to get a big performance from RB Paul Perkins (304 rush yards, 4.8 YPC, 2 TD). Perkins also does a nice job of catching the ball out in the flat with nine grabs for 80 yards this season. The air attack of UCLA has been strong this year with 288.0 passing YPG (32nd in nation), but the ground game must continue to improve upon its 159.0 rushing YPG (73rd in FBS). Whoever is playing quarterback will have a talented wide receiver to throw to in Jordan Payton (19 catches, 266 yards, 1 TD). He is a big, athletic receiver that is not scared to go over the middle, and was the target that Neuheisel connected with to win the game with 3:00 remaining versus Texas.

Like the offense, there is a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball, but this unit has had its struggles as well. The Bruins rank 60th in FBS in points allowed (24.0 PPG), but a big portion of that was given up against Memphis in a 42-35 win on Sept. 6. LB Myles Jack (26 tackles, 2 PD) is one of the elite players in all of the country, but he injured his ankle in the Texas game, and like with Hundley, the Bruins have not said what his status is for Thursday. LB Erik Kendricks (37 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 INT) is the leading tackler on the UCLA defense.

For the Sun Devils, who have the No. 7 scoring offense in the nation (47.0 PPG), adjusting to life without QB Taylor Kelly (625 pass yards, 168 rush yards, 7 total TD) won't be easy. Kelly is similar to Hundley in that he can make plays in all areas of the game.

While QB Mike Bercovici (14-for-24, 112 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT in career) does not have a lot of experience, he does have one of the elite ball carriers in the country on his team in RB D.J. Foster (510 rush yards, 9.4 YPC, 5 TD). Foster is a threat every time he touches the ball, and he can also create a lot of havoc in the screen game as well.

At wide receiver, the Sun Devils have another one of the top FBS players in junior WR Jaelen Strong (19 catches, 266 yards, 2 TD). At 6-foot-3 and 212 pounds, he is a matchup nightmare at the position. He is too big and strong for corners, but ASU can line him in the slot, where he will run away from safeties. For Bercovici being inexperienced, he will look for Strong early and often in this game.

DB Damarious Randall (26 tackles) is the leading tackler on the 38th-ranked scoring defense (20.3 PPG) in the country. Like the Sun Devils offense, the defense is a unit that relies heavily on speed. DB Jordan Simone had an interception in the win against Colorado, and these guys will have to be ready to defend against Payton as one of their mates in the secondary, DB Ezekiel Bishop, may be out due to injury.
[/FONT]
Go Bruins!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to it.

Bring your A game Bruins!!!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks IB!

Tonight, I hope we find out that the Bruins were just playing down to the level of their competition and not that they are far off the mark from where all those talking heads were speculating in the preseason.

It's gonna be hard for them Bruins to NOT get up for this one but I'm still a bit concerned as ASU has a stout running attack in Foster and company and a pretty good defense to boot. Is that enough to make up for the absence of QB Tyler Kelly tonight? :noidea:

Only time will tell....

Although I may still be a bit edgy tonight as a Bruins fan, (Since we been so far off the mark in our victories this year) I do take some comfort knowing this is our 3rd road game in 4 tries this season... That should mean something going on the road to Tempe for this Thursday night Nationally televised game. :nod:

Also knowing that UVA is actually a lot better than first thought, beating #21 Louisville at home and then the next week pushing #21 BYU in Provo for most of the game. Oh, and on Saturday, we may find out that Memphis is better than some are giving credit. I think they have a shot at beating #10 Ole Miss on the road as the Rebels may have some trouble running the ball and that defending that wacky offense schemes the Tigers run... Don't be surprised to see an upset and remember where you heard it first!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be rooting for the Bruins all the way. With or without Hundley, I don't think the Wevils defense can stop the run game. Run it down their throats! UCLA 38-31 Wevils

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna lie it'd be nice if the Sundevils could pull this one out...

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I want ASU to win, but I'm concerned the defense will not be able to get off the field and gradually be worn down if the offense starts to hiccup at some point. Kind of think we lose this one. Might be overreacting to the Kelly absence though. Just think offensive consistency is going to be needed to protect the defense.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA is about as overrated as SCAR is. We gave that game away and we're not that good:

ASU 42
UCLA 38

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks IB!

Tonight, I hope we find out that the Bruins were just playing down to the level of their competition and not that they are far off the mark from where all those talking heads were speculating in the preseason.

It's gonna be hard for them Bruins to NOT get up for this one but I'm still a bit concerned as ASU has a stout running attack in Foster and company and a pretty good defense to boot. Is that enough to make up for the absence of QB Tyler Kelly tonight? :noidea:

Only time will tell....

Although I may still be a bit edgy tonight as a Bruins fan, (Since we been so far off the mark in our victories this year) I do take some comfort knowing this is our 3rd road game in 4 tries this season... That should mean something going on the road to Tempe for this Thursday night Nationally televised game. :nod:

Also knowing that UVA is actually a lot better than first thought, beating #21 Louisville at home and then the next week pushing #21 BYU in Provo for most of the game. Oh, and on Saturday, we may find out that Memphis is better than some are giving credit. I think they have a shot at beating #10 Ole Miss on the road as the Rebels may have some trouble running the ball and that defending that wacky offense schemes the Tigers run... Don't be surprised to see an upset and remember where you heard it first!!

I've seen the UCLA backup play, after Hundly went down. From what I saw, I think Neuheisel can do fine if he needs to play.

My question for this game is the ASU backup quarterback. What kind of experience does he have? How will they do with him playing this game instead of Kelly?

Had a hard time picking this game because of that question, mainly because the game is in Arizona, and because ASU has been such an offensive machine in a number of games the past year or so. I picked UCLA, but have to say I'm a little unsure of this game.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the UCLA backup play, after Hundly went down. From what I saw, I think Neuheisel can do fine if he needs to play.

My question for this game is the ASU backup quarterback. What kind of experience does he have? How will they do with him playing this game instead of Kelly?

Had a hard time picking this game because of that question, mainly because the game is in Arizona, and because ASU has been such an offensive machine in a number of games the past year or so. I picked UCLA, but have to say I'm a little unsure of this game.
While ASU's backup QB Mike Bercovici doesn't have much game time experience he put up a pretty good fight for the starting QB spot at ASU vs Tyler Kelly before Kelly won the job. I don't expect a huge drop off there after he gets all the reps with the starters for the last week and a half knowing Kelly would be sidelined.

I'm hoping the RB combo of James & Perkins will take advantage of a much healthier Bruins offensive line then the last few weeks and that same ASU defense that gave up nearly 550 yards and 91 plays vs Colorado in ASU's last contest shows up tonight.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt know they gave up that much to Colorado.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt know they gave up that much to Colorado.

The defense has shown a tendency to let up too early. They went up 3 scores early against both Colorado and New Mexico, then took a nap and let the game get temporarily close again. Also had some trouble getting defensive calls in and players set after a defensive captain got knocked out when Colorado tried to go to the hurry up. Still will probably struggle against the run and generating a pass rush against max protect packages.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense has shown a tendency to let up too early. They went up 3 scores early against both Colorado and New Mexico, then took a nap and let the game get temporarily close again. Also had some trouble getting defensive calls in and players set after a defensive captain got knocked out when Colorado tried to go to the hurry up. Still will probably struggle against the run and generating a pass rush against max protect packages.
ASU also lost a lot of talent on defense that either graduated or left for the NFL from last year. So Todd Graham has to play more freshman this year then he really would like.... They are doing a good job at times and then there are others that have allowed teams to claw there way back....

Honestly, with Graham at the helm and his discipline WABLTY, I think it's less of an effort problem and more of an experience problem.

Here's to a good game whatever the outcome!

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU also lost a lot of talent on defense

This is the reason I think ASU is slightly overrated this year. Still a good team but I'm not on board with the talking heads.

I could see UCLA crushing them, even on the road. If they come in focused and ready to play. But thats been a problem thus far.

6 moar hrs!

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about effort so much as not really knowing how to put a game away if they get an advantage.

I don't disagree that ASU might be overrated. They've got too many freshmen and sophomores playing to have the kind of consistency you need to win 10-12 games when most of the teams you play are power programs with similar or superior talent levels. I've said as much several times. Especially without Kelly, I don't think they're a particularly great team this year.

If ASU wins, it'll be because they were able to really run on UCLA and then go over the top with the PA, though they need to be careful that Bercovici doesn't try to make up for 3 years of being the back up with each throw. I don't know what to expect really. I suspect it'll come down to which team can run the ball well.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if the southern tradition continues. That being the winner of this game, has won the south every year since going with a ccg.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just ready for the game. Wish it started earlier...

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if the southern tradition continues. That being the winner of this game, has won the south every year since going with a ccg.

That's really only sort of true since in 2011, USC would have won the division if they were eligible to. But otherwise this has always been the decider.