• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$100m Second Baseman?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Red Sox have won two since the Marlins' last WS. I can cherry pick too. And the Red Sox stand a much better chance of winning one in the near future than the Marlins.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
marlins stand no chance if they keep on giving away their talent

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston just extended Dustin Pedroia through 2021 - giving him an additional $100 million. That is an AAV of $14.28 until the Red Sox 2B is 38 years old.

He is the first $100 million 2B in MLB.

Worth it?
What's wrong with a second baseman earning $100M. It's a huge bargain for Boston.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kipnis is better and he gets paid $509,000 this year.
Kipnis is still under team control, isn't going to be a free agent for several more years, and hasn't been a consistently great performer for half a decade.

How is he relevant?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what he does for the Sox on and off the field, he is certainly worth it. This was really a 6 year extension, as the Sox just tacked on to his 2015 option, which was $11mm. Pedroia will make $10mm this season and next.

Given that, a raise is in order for the guy that is the unofficial captain (and soon maybe official) of the team. He plays well. He plays hard. He is a mentor to the younger players.

When cano signs his contract, he could likely get $175mm for 7 years. Is he really worth $10mm more per season than Pedroia? Not in my opinion.

Pedoia plays the game hard, while Cano coasts. My bet is that the Sox will get far more value from Pedroia than the Yankees (whoever?) when they re-sign Cano over the remainder of the contracts.
The idea that Cano "coasts" is absurd. Yes, he occasionally takes plays off, which is frustrating, but is occasional. He's a gifted athlete, so he tends to make things look effortless, but he absolutely plays hard. He's dedicated in the offseason. He works on his hitting constantly. He's developed good plate discipline. He's a good member of the team. So many people have the absurd perception that just because a guy isn't covered in dirt and pine tar at the end of the game, that he hasn't played hard. That's just so stupid. Different guys have different playing styles, but it doesn't mean that they're all not playing hard.

I agree that Cano's contract is going to more likely end up being a worse value than Pedroia's, but only because he's going to actually reach free agency and have multiple bidders. Pedroia really let the Red Sox off the hook and took a deal well his potential under market value. But that said, I think Cano is going to remain a productive player longer than Pedroia, in large part because Pedroia's playing style is eventually going to catch up with him, like it has Chase Utley. But once Pedroia breaks down, his $14M isn't going to be a big ball and chain around the Sox's ankle. When Cano is 36 and has to move to 1B or DH, his deal is going to become an albatross.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this worth 14.28 a year?

.308 6 HRs 57 RBIs

MLB Ranks for 2nd Basemen

5th in Avg
2nd in OBP
8th in slugging pct
Tied for 15th in HRs
5th in RBIs
2nd in Runs
3rd in SBs

But he is 1st in ABs

He is a great defensive 2nd baseman and is durable starting 100 of the 102 games this season.
But 14+ mil a year for a 2nd basemen with not much power. Very questionable but still a great player.
It's a bargain. Again, why in 2013, when so much information is available to us, do people still evaluate players based on AVG/HR/RBI, two of which are extremely flawed statistics? How does this happen?

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that Cano "coasts" is absurd. Yes, he occasionally takes plays off, which is frustrating, but is occasional. He's a gifted athlete, so he tends to make things look effortless, but he absolutely plays hard. He's dedicated in the offseason. He works on his hitting constantly. He's developed good plate discipline. He's a good member of the team. So many people have the absurd perception that just because a guy isn't covered in dirt and pine tar at the end of the game, that he hasn't played hard. That's just so stupid. Different guys have different playing styles, but it doesn't mean that they're all not playing hard.

I agree that Cano's contract is going to more likely end up being a worse value than Pedroia's, but only because he's going to actually reach free agency and have multiple bidders. Pedroia really let the Red Sox off the hook and took a deal well his potential under market value. But that said, I think Cano is going to remain a productive player longer than Pedroia, in large part because Pedroia's playing style is eventually going to catch up with him, like it has Chase Utley. But once Pedroia breaks down, his $14M isn't going to be a big ball and chain around the Sox's ankle. When Cano is 36 and has to move to 1B or DH, his deal is going to become an albatross.

Just to add, Cano plays as many or more games than anyone year after year. Haven't checked the exact numbers but I'd guess he is in the top 5 in most games played in the last 7 seasons. I hear people talk about him not caring sometimes or he doesn't play hard enough. The dude plays 160 games every FN year. That's impressive and a fucking grind.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add, Cano plays as many or more games than anyone year after year. Haven't checked the exact numbers but I'd guess he is in the top 5 in most games played in the last 7 seasons. I hear people talk about him not caring sometimes or he doesn't play hard enough. The dude plays 160 games every FN year. That's impressive and a fucking grind.
In the last 5 years, he's played the 2nd most games in the Major Leagues. 742. 5 behind- of all people- Prince Fielder.

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last 5 years, he's played the 2nd most games in the Major Leagues. 742. 5 behind- of all people- Prince Fielder.

went to look at games played yearly, and just got reminded that Sizemore played 162 games in 06 & 07.