• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10 Teams Who Actually Have a Chance to Win the College Football Playoff

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we don't?

There's always next year. Go Vols! Would you like a beer? We're buying...

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful Saban or Meyer could do the things Patterson is doing with 2 and 3 star recruits.

Really? Many forget where Meyer came from and what he did. I will leave this wiki info for you...

Bowling Green[edit]
In 2001, Meyer took his first head coaching job at Bowling Green.[13] In his first season there, he engineered one of the greatest turnarounds in the NCAA football history, going 8–3 and capping off the season with a 56–21 victory over Bowling Green's rival, the University of Toledo Rockets.[26] He also earned Mid-American Conference coach of the year honors. The next year, Bowling Green finished with a 9–3 record.[26] After a 17–6 overall record, Meyer left for the University of Utah.[27]

He helped turn around a team that had gone 2–9 in 2000 in large part due to QB Josh Harris, a player tailor-made for Meyer's scheme. In part-time play in 2001, Harris passed for 1,022 yards with 9 touchdowns, and ran for 600 yards and 8 touchdowns. The next year he passed for 2,425 yards with 19 TD and ran for 737 yards with 20 TD. Meyer would later use such quarterbacks as Alex Smith and Tim Tebow in a fashion similar to the way Meyer used Harris.

Utah[edit]
After two seasons at Bowling Green, he took the job at Utah in 2003.[11] In his first year there, Meyer was named the Mountain West Conference's Coach of the Year with a 10–2 record, the best ever for a coach's first season at Utah.[11] He also earned honors as The Sporting News National Coach of the Year, the first Utes coach to do so.[28] Meyer's success can be attributed to his unique offensive system, which is an offshoot of Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense, relying on short pass routes.[29] Meyer's base offense spreads three receivers and puts the quarterback in shotgun formation.[30] Then, he introduces motion in the backfield and turns it into an option attack, adding elements of the traditional run-oriented option offense.[30]

In 2004, Meyer led the undefeated Utes to a Bowl Championship Series bid, something that had not been done by a team from a non-automatically qualifying BCS conference since the formation of the BCS in 1998.[31] He remained at Utah long enough to coach the team to a Fiesta Bowl win over Pittsburgh,[13] capping off the Utes' first perfect season (12–0) since 1930.[32]

In 2003, Utes quarterback Alex Smith threw for 2,247 yards and 15 touchdowns and ran for 452 yards with five touchdowns. In 2004 he threw for 2,952 yards with 32 touchdowns and ran for 631 yards and 10 touchdowns. His production in Meyer's offensive scheme was a large reason why Smith was considered a first-round pick entering the 2005 NFL Draft.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I'm a betting man. I took MSU and the points simply b/c Baylor fucking sucks away from Waco. Not to mention, I despise Briles. Fuck Baylor. I laughed at their epic choke job. Up 41-21 going into the 4th quarter, yes that is an epic choke job.

You keep saying this even after they had their best road record ever under Briles this past year.

Then you cite Gary Patterson as the greatest living coach in modern football history, when his team perpetrated an even more epic choke job than Baylor did.

Then you get all indignant when people be going :exes:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep saying this even after they had their best road record ever under Briles this past year.

Then you cite Gary Patterson as the greatest living coach in modern football history, when his team perpetrated an even more epic choke job than Baylor did.

This may end up changing. We all know Baylor has not had a defense. They do have 2 NFL lineman this year, so we shall see if it improves. It is hard to win on the road with a bad defensive teams or incomplete teams. You are bound to have a game where the offense is off or you just lose a shoot out. Most teams are better at home. The road coach comes in more with Briles, because Baylor has been attempting to win games with mostly equal talent on the road.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Early season games do not dictate what a team does at the end. I use tOSU/VT for example.

But Oregon was a playoff team. That's all I'm saying.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Many forget where Meyer came from and what he did. I will leave this wiki info for you...

Bowling Green[edit]
In 2001, Meyer took his first head coaching job at Bowling Green.[13] In his first season there, he engineered one of the greatest turnarounds in the NCAA football history, going 8–3 and capping off the season with a 56–21 victory over Bowling Green's rival, the University of Toledo Rockets.[26] He also earned Mid-American Conference coach of the year honors. The next year, Bowling Green finished with a 9–3 record.[26] After a 17–6 overall record, Meyer left for the University of Utah.[27]

He helped turn around a team that had gone 2–9 in 2000 in large part due to QB Josh Harris, a player tailor-made for Meyer's scheme. In part-time play in 2001, Harris passed for 1,022 yards with 9 touchdowns, and ran for 600 yards and 8 touchdowns. The next year he passed for 2,425 yards with 19 TD and ran for 737 yards with 20 TD. Meyer would later use such quarterbacks as Alex Smith and Tim Tebow in a fashion similar to the way Meyer used Harris.

Utah[edit]
After two seasons at Bowling Green, he took the job at Utah in 2003.[11] In his first year there, Meyer was named the Mountain West Conference's Coach of the Year with a 10–2 record, the best ever for a coach's first season at Utah.[11] He also earned honors as The Sporting News National Coach of the Year, the first Utes coach to do so.[28] Meyer's success can be attributed to his unique offensive system, which is an offshoot of Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense, relying on short pass routes.[29] Meyer's base offense spreads three receivers and puts the quarterback in shotgun formation.[30] Then, he introduces motion in the backfield and turns it into an option attack, adding elements of the traditional run-oriented option offense.[30]

In 2004, Meyer led the undefeated Utes to a Bowl Championship Series bid, something that had not been done by a team from a non-automatically qualifying BCS conference since the formation of the BCS in 1998.[31] He remained at Utah long enough to coach the team to a Fiesta Bowl win over Pittsburgh,[13] capping off the Utes' first perfect season (12–0) since 1930.[32]

In 2003, Utes quarterback Alex Smith threw for 2,247 yards and 15 touchdowns and ran for 452 yards with five touchdowns. In 2004 he threw for 2,952 yards with 32 touchdowns and ran for 631 yards and 10 touchdowns. His production in Meyer's offensive scheme was a large reason why Smith was considered a first-round pick entering the 2005 NFL Draft.

All impressive, but Meyer never had to build a program. He killed it with other people's talent. It was not until Florida that he was able to witness one of his recruits graduate. That is also at that point where the program started to crumble under a lack of discipline and general thuggery. So despite all of the above it is not unreasonable to question whether Meyer could maintain prolonged success at a smaller school.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You forget Patterson's 2010 team also deserved a shot at the NC. Baylor was still whipped in Morgantown by an average WVU team, btw. Briles is still the worst road game coach in the country.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All impressive, but Meyer never had to build a program. He killed it with other people's talent. It was not until Florida that he was able to witness one of his recruits graduate. That is also at that point where the program started to crumble under a lack of discipline and general thuggery. So despite all of the above it is not unreasonable to question whether Meyer could maintain prolonged success at a smaller school.

BG was 2-9 and he turned them around. You say he killed it with others talent, doenst that show how good of a coach he is? The others could not do it with their own talent so he did. Was there discipline issues at FL, no doubt but they were not at BG or at Utah. Maybe it was the big program in the SEC that was the problem and a small school would have been perfect for him to maintain his success he has had at every stop in his career. A coach that has had great success and either turned around programs or won championships at every stop sounds like a pretty good coach. Not many others have done that.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BG was 2-9 and he turned them around. You say he killed it with others talent, doenst that show how good of a coach he is? The others could not do it with their own talent so he did. Was there discipline issues at FL, no doubt but they were not at BG or at Utah. Maybe it was the big program in the SEC that was the problem and a small school would have been perfect for him to maintain his success he has had at every stop in his career. A coach that has had great success and either turned around programs or won championships at every stop sounds like a pretty good coach. Not many others have done that.

He has had great success, but the only time he stayed long enough to see his classes recruit things went wrong. Some would say he crippled the Florida program. You can not blame Florida for the issue a in the program. Many of the kids that Muschamp kicked out complained that Meyer never would have done so. So it is hard to say he can build and sustain success, because there is no evidence of sustained success at a program. We will all find out in a couple year if Meyer learned from his time in Florida. Not to mention Meyer himself has admitted to his mistakes at Florida.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgetting about that MSU/Oregon game?

You mean the game Michigan State lead half way through the third quarter against a fully healthy Oregon on the road? Oregon was out several key players in the playoffs and it would have been a neutral site game. Might not have beat them but we would have had a good shot at it against the same Oregon that Ohio State faced.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has had great success, but the only time he stayed long enough to see his classes recruit things went wrong. Some would say he crippled the Florida program. You can not blame Florida for the issue a in the program. Many of the kids that Muschamp kicked out complained that Meyer never would have done so. So it is hard to say he can build and sustain success, because there is no evidence of sustained success at a program. We will all find out in a couple year if Meyer learned from his time in Florida. Not to mention Meyer himself has admitted to his mistakes at Florida.

Muschamp kicked kids out and yet still had the same problems from his recruits.
I bet you can ask any coach out there and they will admit they have made mistakes. Meyer sure did at FL and as I have said before that was more accepted in the SEC.
Patterson is a great coach no doubt. Very good at D. I would like to see him win some B12 titles and NC to put in the league of Meyer and Saban. He came into the B12 at the right time, the two power houses are a little down.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muschamp kicked kids out and yet still had the same problems from his recruits.
I bet you can ask any coach out there and they will admit they have made mistakes. Meyer sure did at FL and as I have said before that was more accepted in the SEC.
Patterson is a great coach no doubt. Very good at D. I would like to see him win some B12 titles and NC to put in the league of Meyer and Saban. He came into the B12 at the right time, the two power houses are a little down.

Stop. Meyer let the inmates run the asylum. I know he is your coach now and doing a great job, but take you head out of the sand. Muschamp had to kickoff like 20 kids. HE has his own issues, but he was put in a very bad spot.

Patterson: That is not going to happen. He has adjusted to the Big 12. He will win some titles, but NC is unlikely. There may not be a coach alive that can win a title at TCU. Its a small christian school that rivals Miami in there attendance. Every job has a different floor and ceiling. I prefer to judge the success based on how a coach has elevated a program. That will be hard for Meyer, but I can say Saban has elevated the program to at least Bear levels. Guy like Synder could still teach Meyer and Saban a thing or 2, but never wo a NC. Dont underrate coaches, because they are loyal and have no desire to move to an elite program with elite advantages.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forget Patterson's 2010 team also deserved a shot at the NC. Baylor was still whipped in Morgantown by an average WVU team, btw. Briles is still the worst road game coach in the country.

28-7 in Austin.

Thanks for playing.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop. Meyer let the inmates run the asylum. I know he is your coach now and doing a great job, but take you head out of the sand. Muschamp had to kickoff like 20 kids. HE has his own issues, but he was put in a very bad spot.

Patterson: That is not going to happen. He has adjusted to the Big 12. He will win some titles, but NC is unlikely. There may not be a coach alive that can win a title at TCU. Its a small christian school that rivals Miami in there attendance. Every job has a different floor and ceiling. I prefer to judge the success based on how a coach has elevated a program. That will be hard for Meyer, but I can say Saban has elevated the program to at least Bear levels. Guy like Synder could still teach Meyer and Saban a thing or 2, but never wo a NC. Dont underrate coaches, because they are loyal and have no desire to move to an elite program with elite advantages.

First Muschamp brought in his own kids that had problems too not all Meyers. Second I know what Meyer did at FL and as I have said more acceptable in the SEC. You have seen what he does at tOSU already.

Patterson will leave TCU and move to a bigger school. Let's see what he does then before wencrown him.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Muschamp brought in his own kids that had problems too not all Meyers. Second I know what Meyer did at FL and as I have said more acceptable in the SEC. You have seen what he does at tOSU already.

Patterson will leave TCU and move to a bigger school. Let's see what he does then before wencrown him.

I will agree with you that he needs to prove a little more over time, but I do disagree he should be judged on NC. At this pt Snyder is the best coach in the Big 12. Second place could be any of 3 candidates. I will let that sort itself out before saying he is one of the best. It would be interesting to see him at a big place, though I have my suspicions he would have issues