• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1 month out...Dream Draft

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We're about a month away from the draft...give me your dream draft scenario. Not a prediction, but rather your ideal, yet somewhat realistic, draft outcome.

Here is my far-fetched, coffee-induced, mad-hatter scenario, which I imagine will probably change dramatically over the course of this month. And yes, I know this will never ever happen but it's fun to lay out exactly how you'd like things to go. I went with the trade back strategy to get into that mid 2nd to mid 3rd range, where I think there is a ton of value to be had. I also put an emphasis on stacking our picks for next year, which should be a really strong draft and strengthens us in preparation for 2015 free agency when a lot of big contracts (Aldon, Kaep, Iupati, etc) will kick in causing us to possibly lose some starters in FA.

1-31,#31 - The Raiders, who have released Palmer, still need a QB after Jacksonville takes Geno Smith with the #2 pick. They've targeted the guy they want and need to swoop in the late first before he's snatched up early in day 2. Ironically, in their attempt to draft Palmer's replacement they don't have a 2nd rounder due to their trade for Palmer. The Raiders trade the Niners their 2014 1st rounder and their 2013 4th rounder (similar to the Joe Staley/Pats draft day trade). The Raiders select Matt Barkley, QB, USC. Harbaugh and Baalke chest bump.

***on a side note, I often get the feeling that we had someone else targeted with our 1st round pick in 2012 who wasn't available when our pick came up. In response, I think we were trying to pull off a trade like this one to get out of the spot. When all avenues were exhausted we had no choice but to go to our big board and select AJ, who was next on the list but probably only given a mid-2nd round grade. Something just never sat right with me about how that pick went down and the reactions the FO showed on their draft room webcam. onwards...

2-2, #34 - Niners trade back with Dallas, who want to grab EJ Manuel before he's gone (a classic Jerry Jones move, as he wants to hop on the trend of getting an athletic quarterback project). Dallas trades their 2013 2-15 pick and their 2014 3rd rounder.

2-15, #47 - From Dallas - Niners select Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee. We finally get that young wide receive prospect who has speed and height. He takes on Moss' role in providing an occasional deep threat and opens up the field. He has a couple years to be a backup and develop with AJ Jenkins so they can take over when Crabtree demands big money in free agency in 2015. This is also contingent on AJ and Hunter becoming BFFs in the weight room. As for Hunter falling this far...I think it's very realistic considering what we saw with Stephen Hill last year. I think a lot of teams will have Patterson, Allen, Austin, Patton, and Hopkins ahead of him.

2-29,#61 - Niners draft Eric Reid, S, LSU. I waivered here between Cyprien and Reid. I would go with Cyprien's ball-hawking skills over Reid's measurables and SEC experience, but I just can't see Cyprien in the mid-late 2nd, no matter how many times McShay has him falling this far. His personal workouts will be too impressive. But I will still gladly take Reid here, the 2nd best Free Safety in the draft IMO.

3-3, #65 - Niners trade a 4th and a 5th (their early 4th round pick from the Raiders (4-3) and their 5-24 pick) to the Lions who are trying to add more picks (they only have 6 to start the day). Niners select Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU. Hunt falls due to age(26) and position concerns (I've heard everything from DT to DE to even OLB). In his first couple years I think he's best suited for a backup 3-4DE position where he will have time to bulk up some more and learn under the tutelage of Smith and McDonald. He will also be a very valuable ST contributor with his kick-blocking ability. I know a lot of people on this board aren't a fan of his, but I think his upside is too much to ignore at this stage of the draft. Datone Jones was another consideration here but I think it's more likely that Hunt falls to the early 3rd rather than Jones, who is more of a solid 2nd rounder/late 1st type of prospect.

3-12,#74 - Niners draft David Amerson, CB, NC State. This would be great value if he fell to us at this spot. Big, fast, Sean Smith type CB who could also transition to the FS spot in the future. Love the size, speed, and versatility. Needs to work on his footwork but that's something that can be improved...you can't teach speed and size.

3-31,#93 - traded to draft-pick-needy Carolina, who only has 5 picks to start the day, for their 2014 2nd rounder

4-3,#100 - from the Raiders trade - traded to Lions for Margus Hunt draft spot

4-31,#128 - traded to Chicago, who only has 5 picks, for a 2014 3rd rounder

4-34,#131c - Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford. We lacked a jump-ball receiver last year and it was apparent all the way to the last seconds of the season. So what do we do? We trade for Boldin and draft the tallest TE out there. Toilolo has some inconsistancy issues, but he provides matchup problems for defenses and Harbaugh thrives on this. A lethal red zone option is not a bad pickup in the late 4th.

5-24,#157 - traded to Lions for Margus Hunt 3rd round pick

5-31,#164 - trade to the Pats, who love late round picks and don't have many this year, for a 2014 4th

6-12,#180 - The Niners draft Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific. He's an athletic big body (6'8" 315) type of lineman...just what we like. He comes from a very small school but shows the athleticism needed for the next level. A convert from TE like Joe Staley. Nice project for the coaching staff to work with.

7-21,#227 - trade for a 2014 6th

7-31,#237 - trade for a 2014 6th

7-40,#246c- Jeff Tuel, QB, Washington St. Tuel was on a horrible team and has some intriguing skills. He's athletic, has a good arm, and decent accuracy. Inexperience is a concern because he was injured so often due to his horrible offensive line, but this is OK considering he'll be the 3rd stringer.

7-46,#252c- a big body Ian Williams-like NT prospect.

Results:
Draft Picks:
-Justin Hunter, WR, Tenn
-Eric Reid, S, LSU
-Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU
-David Amerson, CB, NC State
-Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford
-Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific
-Jeff Tuel, QB, Wash St
-big body NT in the 7th

This gives us 8 draft picks. I don't see the point in drafting more than this considering how few spots we have on our roster and Practice Squad. We end up with some really promising prospects and we are stacked for next year's draft. I love the idea of using extra picks to trade up a round year-after-year with teams that are desperate, and then utilizing the comp system. It really puts us in the driver's seat.

Future picks we aquire:
-Raiders' 2014 1st round pick
-Carolina's 2014 2nd rounder
-Chicago's 2014 3rd rounder
-Dallas' 2014 3rd rounder
-Pats' 2014 4th rounder
-2 6th round picks
-and don't forget the likely 3rd rounder we will get from the Chiefs and the comp picks (most likely another 3rd (Goldson), a 5th(Delanie), and 7th)

in 2014 that'll give us:
2 1st rounders,
2 2nd rounders,
5 3rds!
2 4ths
2 5th
3 6ths
3 7ths
Yet more ammo to continue to trade up for picks in 2015 and to maneuver in 2014 to draft our targets! The rich get richer...

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm all for this, but Flynn was allegedy traded to the Raiders while you were in the process of creating this post :-)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hunter at 47? Reid at 61? Amerson at 74? That truly would be a dream draft.

Not so sure about Hunt at 65. Don't like him at the 5.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm all for this, but Flynn was allegedy traded to the Raiders while you were in the process of creating this post :-)

yeah and the Cowboys extended Romo...haha totally throws off 2 of my major trades. classic timing

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hunter at 47? Reid at 61? Amerson at 74? That truly would be a dream draft.

Not so sure about Hunt at 65. Don't like him at the 5.

it's definitely a dream draft, but I don't think these draft slots are that unrealistic. I'd say that more often than not these guys should be drafted a bit higher, but I think these spots are well within the range of where they could possibly go.

As for Hunt, I think with a year or two of solid technique training he could develop into a difference maker. He's got the attitude, work ethic, athleticism, and size...all things you can't teach. all he needs now is to improve his technique and fundamentals...something you can teach. I'd take that in the 3rd round.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
it's definitely a dream draft, but I don't think these draft slots are that unrealistic.

I do.

all he needs now is to improve his technique and fundamentals...something you can teach. I'd take that in the 3rd round.

I don't agree with that. Technique isn't his problem. He has a high center of gravity. He doesn't get a lot of push on tackles. This would be the kind of stuf I think could improve over time, btut the dude's gonna be 26 this summer. He's pretty much peaked already. If he had problems getting push against teenagers, he's gonna get swallowed up by 25-30-year-old professional tackles.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We're about a month away from the draft...give me your dream draft scenario. Not a prediction, but rather your ideal, yet somewhat realistic, draft outcome.

Here is my far-fetched, coffee-induced, mad-hatter scenario, which I imagine will probably change dramatically over the course of this month. And yes, I know this will never ever happen but it's fun to lay out exactly how you'd like things to go. I went with the trade back strategy to get into that mid 2nd to mid 3rd range, where I think there is a ton of value to be had. I also put an emphasis on stacking our picks for next year, which should be a really strong draft and strengthens us in preparation for 2015 free agency when a lot of big contracts (Aldon, Kaep, Iupati, etc) will kick in causing us to possibly lose some starters in FA.

1-31,#31 - The Raiders, who have released Palmer, still need a QB after Jacksonville takes Geno Smith with the #2 pick. They've targeted the guy they want and need to swoop in the late first before he's snatched up early in day 2. Ironically, in their attempt to draft Palmer's replacement they don't have a 2nd rounder due to their trade for Palmer. The Raiders trade the Niners their 2014 1st rounder and their 2013 4th rounder (similar to the Joe Staley/Pats draft day trade). The Raiders select Matt Barkley, QB, USC. Harbaugh and Baalke chest bump.

***on a side note, I often get the feeling that we had someone else targeted with our 1st round pick in 2012 who wasn't available when our pick came up. In response, I think we were trying to pull off a trade like this one to get out of the spot. When all avenues were exhausted we had no choice but to go to our big board and select AJ, who was next on the list but probably only given a mid-2nd round grade. Something just never sat right with me about how that pick went down and the reactions the FO showed on their draft room webcam. onwards...

2-2, #34 - Niners trade back with Dallas, who want to grab EJ Manuel before he's gone (a classic Jerry Jones move, as he wants to hop on the trend of getting an athletic quarterback project). Dallas trades their 2013 2-15 pick and their 2014 3rd rounder.

2-15, #47 - From Dallas - Niners select Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee. We finally get that young wide receive prospect who has speed and height. He takes on Moss' role in providing an occasional deep threat and opens up the field. He has a couple years to be a backup and develop with AJ Jenkins so they can take over when Crabtree demands big money in free agency in 2015. This is also contingent on AJ and Hunter becoming BFFs in the weight room. As for Hunter falling this far...I think it's very realistic considering what we saw with Stephen Hill last year. I think a lot of teams will have Patterson, Allen, Austin, Patton, and Hopkins ahead of him.

2-29,#61 - Niners draft Eric Reid, S, LSU. I waivered here between Cyprien and Reid. I would go with Cyprien's ball-hawking skills over Reid's measurables and SEC experience, but I just can't see Cyprien in the mid-late 2nd, no matter how many times McShay has him falling this far. His personal workouts will be too impressive. But I will still gladly take Reid here, the 2nd best Free Safety in the draft IMO.

3-3, #65 - Niners trade a 4th and a 5th (their early 4th round pick from the Raiders (4-3) and their 5-24 pick) to the Lions who are trying to add more picks (they only have 6 to start the day). Niners select Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU. Hunt falls due to age(26) and position concerns (I've heard everything from DT to DE to even OLB). In his first couple years I think he's best suited for a backup 3-4DE position where he will have time to bulk up some more and learn under the tutelage of Smith and McDonald. He will also be a very valuable ST contributor with his kick-blocking ability. I know a lot of people on this board aren't a fan of his, but I think his upside is too much to ignore at this stage of the draft. Datone Jones was another consideration here but I think it's more likely that Hunt falls to the early 3rd rather than Jones, who is more of a solid 2nd rounder/late 1st type of prospect.

3-12,#74 - Niners draft David Amerson, CB, NC State. This would be great value if he fell to us at this spot. Big, fast, Sean Smith type CB who could also transition to the FS spot in the future. Love the size, speed, and versatility. Needs to work on his footwork but that's something that can be improved...you can't teach speed and size.

3-31,#93 - traded to draft-pick-needy Carolina, who only has 5 picks to start the day, for their 2014 2nd rounder

4-3,#100 - from the Raiders trade - traded to Lions for Margus Hunt draft spot

4-31,#128 - traded to Chicago, who only has 5 picks, for a 2014 3rd rounder

4-34,#131c - Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford. We lacked a jump-ball receiver last year and it was apparent all the way to the last seconds of the season. So what do we do? We trade for Boldin and draft the tallest TE out there. Toilolo has some inconsistancy issues, but he provides matchup problems for defenses and Harbaugh thrives on this. A lethal red zone option is not a bad pickup in the late 4th.

5-24,#157 - traded to Lions for Margus Hunt 3rd round pick

5-31,#164 - trade to the Pats, who love late round picks and don't have many this year, for a 2014 4th

6-12,#180 - The Niners draft Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific. He's an athletic big body (6'8" 315) type of lineman...just what we like. He comes from a very small school but shows the athleticism needed for the next level. A convert from TE like Joe Staley. Nice project for the coaching staff to work with.

7-21,#227 - trade for a 2014 6th

7-31,#237 - trade for a 2014 6th

7-40,#246c- Jeff Tuel, QB, Washington St. Tuel was on a horrible team and has some intriguing skills. He's athletic, has a good arm, and decent accuracy. Inexperience is a concern because he was injured so often due to his horrible offensive line, but this is OK considering he'll be the 3rd stringer.

7-46,#252c- a big body Ian Williams-like NT prospect.

Results:
Draft Picks:
-Justin Hunter, WR, Tenn
-Eric Reid, S, LSU
-Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU
-David Amerson, CB, NC State
-Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford
-Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific
-Jeff Tuel, QB, Wash St
-big body NT in the 7th

This gives us 8 draft picks. I don't see the point in drafting more than this considering how few spots we have on our roster and Practice Squad. We end up with some really promising prospects and we are stacked for next year's draft. I love the idea of using extra picks to trade up a round year-after-year with teams that are desperate, and then utilizing the comp system. It really puts us in the driver's seat.

Future picks we aquire:
-Raiders' 2014 1st round pick
-Carolina's 2014 2nd rounder
-Chicago's 2014 3rd rounder
-Dallas' 2014 3rd rounder
-Pats' 2014 4th rounder
-2 6th round picks
-and don't forget the likely 3rd rounder we will get from the Chiefs and the comp picks (most likely another 3rd (Goldson), a 5th(Delanie), and 7th)

in 2014 that'll give us:
2 1st rounders,
2 2nd rounders,
5 3rds!
2 4ths
2 5th
3 6ths
3 7ths
Yet more ammo to continue to trade up for picks in 2015 and to maneuver in 2014 to draft our targets! The rich get richer...

Margus Hunt in the 3rd sounds good, cause looks like he'll help the pass rush immediately? don't mind he doesn't start even next season, as long as his pass rush if disruptive and otherwise effective.

if he can't help the pass rush from game 1 - ie needs to 'learn' - wouldn't draft him.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

So you don't think that hunter could fall to the mid 2nd, Reid falls to late 2nd and amerson is taken in the 3rd? Why? I'd love to hear why you think this is outside the realm of possibilities.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So you don't think that hunter could fall to the mid 2nd, Reid falls to late 2nd and amerson is taken in the 3rd? Why? I'd love to hear why you think this is outside the realm of possibilities.

Well, they're not outside the realm of possibility. Stranger things have happend, but I would be shocked if Hunter made it our of the 30's. Reid in the late 2nd is the most realistic of the 3 possibilities IMO, but the Niners should be laughing their asses off at the other teams if that happens because Reid is the best safety in the draft.

I could be wrong, but here are the lowest I would expect those 3 players to go:

Hunter - 32
Reid - 55
Amerson - 62

I hope I'm wrong though because I would love your scenario to happen.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, they're not outside the realm of possibility. Stranger things have happend, but I would be shocked if Hunter made it our of the 30's. Reid in the late 2nd is the most realistic of the 3 possibilities IMO, but the Niners should be laughing their asses off at the other teams if that happens because Reid is the best safety in the draft.

I could be wrong, but here are the lowest I would expect those 3 players to go:

Hunter - 32
Reid - 55
Amerson - 62

I hope I'm wrong though because I would love your scenario to happen.

I think Reid is a really interesting prospect. Everything about him screams probowler but on film he just seems to lack those 1-2 game changing plays a game that you want out of your fs. I think at lsu though he was put in a pretty conservative role. I'd think in our d he would thrive.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think Reid is a really interesting prospect. Everything about him screams probowler but on film he just seems to lack those 1-2 game changing plays a game that you want out of your fs. I think at lsu though he was put in a pretty conservative role. I'd think in our d he would thrive.

Totally agree about Reid, but I'd actually prefer he takes over Whitner's spot rather than Goldson's.

I think Amerson would do well in Goldson's spot (with some time; he's a lttle raw), but I would love the Niners to take a flyer on Greg Ried later in the draft. He's smaller, but he doesn't hit like it.

Reid & Reid in 2013!

Last edited by a moderator:

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree about Reid, but I'd actually prefer he takes over Whitner's spot rather than Goldson's.

I think Amerson would do well in Goldson's spot (with some time; he's a lttle raw), but I would love the Niners to take a flyer on Greg Ried later in the draft. He's smaller, but he doesn't hit like it.

Reid & Reid in 2013!

Greg Reid from FSU?

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Reid & Reid in 2013!

Love it. The days of true SS like whitner are over. Both of your safeties need to be strong in coverage or else offenses will exploit it.

I don't know much about Greg ried...whatcha got?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't know much about Greg ried...whatcha got?

Well, he's best known for his return abilities. I don't know that he's Tavon Austin in that category, but he's really good.

He's only 5'8 190 with short arms, so clearly his size is gonna raise some eyebrows; but then again, that's probably why nobody is talking about him being drafted in the first 4 rounds. His willingness to hit reminds me of Antoine Winfield.

Another issue is that he was dismissed from FSU. He's had off-field problems. So basically, he's Tyrann Mathieu with better ability as a KR and WAY less hype. I don't know where either one will be drafted, but I think Greg Reid is talented enough that the Niners should keep a close eye on him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I love all the 2014 trades, but other than the first one they aren't very realistic. Teams are highly unlikely to trade a pick from the round higher for the second-to-last pick in a round this year. Maybe we could get a trade like that if we threw in a late-round pick to sweeten the pot, but I think there would have to be some pick-swapping, conditional picks, etc. for that sort of thing to happen.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he's best known for his return abilities. I don't know that he's Tavon Austin in that category, but he's really good.

He's only 5'8 190 with short arms, so clearly his size is gonna raise some eyebrows; but then again, that's probably why nobody is talking about him being drafted in the first 4 rounds. His willingness to hit reminds me of Antoine Winfield.

Another issue is that he was dismissed from FSU. He's had off-field problems. So basically, he's Tyrann Mathieu with better ability as a KR and WAY less hype. I don't know where either one will be drafted, but I think Greg Reid is talented enough that the Niners should keep a close eye on him.

IMO Greg Reid is a slot corner and return guy. He reminds me alot of the guy from Alabama that the Chiefs got a couple years ago (can't think of his name) No way I want him as a FS he is way too small for big TE's & or big WR's. Now for a nickle corner/return guy I'm all over him in the 4th or later

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Greg Reid is a slot corner and return guy. He reminds me alot of the guy from Alabama that the Chiefs got a couple years ago (can't think of his name) No way I want him as a FS he is way too small for big TE's & or big WR's. Now for a nickle corner/return guy I'm all over him in the 4th or later

Also Winfield is a CB and if Reid reminds you of him why wouldn't you project him at CB?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There will be some really good players falling into the mid second. I don't think Hunter will be one but if he's there we turn in the card right away. If any team would cough up a first, the Raiders would be it despite Al Davis not being around to f it up.

I would love to make those first two moves. Realistically we'd be taking our FS in that spot in the mid-second. I could see Reid fall there, but I also don't think he'll be around until the late 2nd so that would be the pick. Then at that point I'd want to package picks to get another mid 2nd to target our DE, or a good WR if there's just too much value to pass up.

I don't want anything to do with Margos. We need to make that type of move for someone a lot younger who can actually play football! I'm really against us drafting that guy pretty much anywhere. Another team could probably use him as a strong body to play right away and would make a lot of sense. For us he might be ready to play by the time he needs to retire.