• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#1 Chicago vs #7 Detroit Series Thread

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GDTs AND UPCOMING SCHEDULE

----------

GAME 1 - Wednesday, May 15th - 8:00 PM

GAME 2 - Saturday, May 18th - 1:00 PM

GAME 3 - Monday, May 20th - 7:30 PM

GAME 4 - Thursday, May 23rd - 8:00 PM

*GAME 5 - TBD

*GAME 6 - TBD

*GAME 7 - TBD

*If necessary

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still think it's bullshit that he's allowed to call nationally televised games involving the hawks

Waaah...get over it. Like it has any bearing on the game. :yield:

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit has to correct, or at least minimize, the amount of turnovers in the defensive zone. Chicago will be much better at punishing those type of mistakes than Anaheim.

Turnovers will be the key to success for both teams. They usually are killers in the playoffs and teams make them pay.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waaah...get over it. Like it has any bearing on the game. :yield:

It makes a difference on my enjoyment of the game :tongue:

Turnovers will be the key to success for both teams. They usually are killers in the playoffs and teams make them pay.

I think the bigger key to success for the wings is jimmy Howard. The wings are going to rack up the turnovers. With the defense they have, especially the 3rd paring, it's inevitable. It's going to be up to Howard to bail them out

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It makes a difference on my enjoyment of the game :tongue:

I think the bigger key to success for the wings is jimmy Howard. The wings are going to rack up the turnovers. With the defense they have, especially the 3rd paring, it's inevitable. It's going to be up to Howard to bail them out

A couple of other things will be necessary in this series that we seemed to handle better than we usual do in important games and that is to hold an advantage in controlling the play in the neutral zone, hold a faceoff advantage, especially when in our own end, keeping the play in our end much more frequently to the outside, and taking charge of the front of the net, in order to control both the traffic and clearing rebounds, which we did relatively well against the ducks in all of those categories. These important aspects of the game for managing puck-control is going to be much more difficult against a Chicago team than it was against the Ducks. The Hawks are generally more reliable in all 4 of those phases of the game; and, in order for us to keep the ship afloat, we must at least be on par with them there and up to the task of taking them off their game by being even more physical than we were against the Ducks. Keep their game mostly to the outside, win the physical battles in front of the net, keep the chasing in our end to a minimum, and be even more responsible in the neutral zone by forcing them to dump and chase more often than they normally do. We have to be better in the faceoff circle than we have all season long, and we need to keep their cycling down low from transitioning from the corner to behind the net. As talented as Toews is, he is going to be a factor around the net - that's where Jimmy has to be good; but, if we limit what Hossa can create, then we will be able to limit their success significantly.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the Wings take the series, but i don't see it happening.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes a difference on my enjoyment of the game

As if we care. Then don't watch the games on NBC and it's affiliates. Or listen on Wings radio.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of other things will be necessary in this series that we seemed to handle better than we usual do in important games and that is to hold an advantage in controlling the play in the neutral zone, hold a faceoff advantage, especially when in our own end, keeping the play in our end much more frequently to the outside, and taking charge of the front of the net, in order to control both the traffic and clearing rebounds, which we did relatively well against the ducks in all of those categories. These important aspects of the game for managing puck-control is going to be much more difficult against a Chicago team than it was against the Ducks. The Hawks are generally more reliable in all 4 of those phases of the game; and, in order for us to keep the ship afloat, we must at least be on par with them there and up to the task of taking them off their game by being even more physical than we were against the Ducks. Keep their game mostly to the outside, win the physical battles in front of the net, keep the chasing in our end to a minimum, and be even more responsible in the neutral zone by forcing them to dump and chase more often than they normally do. We have to be better in the faceoff circle than we have all season long, and we need to keep their cycling down low from transitioning from the corner to behind the net. As talented as Toews is, he is going to be a factor around the net - that's where Jimmy has to be good; but, if we limit what Hossa can create, then we will be able to limit their success significantly.

That is EXACTLY the key to the series. But good luck doing all those things shift in and shift out. Not so easy to do.

Wings WILL need to be more physical. That's how to play the Hawks. Forecheck down low knocking them off the puck. Possession time is key in this series.

I still think the Wings defense is susceptible. And Howard can be hot or cold, as can any goalie. And so far I'm not all that impressed with the third and fourth line of the Wings. I think the Hawks have the edge there, as well in the six d-men. Goalie is a toss up, although Howard has a GAA one goal more than Crawford.

Still waiting to see how many bad goals Crawford let's in again. Spectacular at most times in the Wild series, but let in two suspect goals.

Should be a good series. No predictions on my part.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, sounds like the Wings fans! LOL!

After all, isn't why they are moving to the Eastern Conference next year?

BTW, the winner of this series will have to face the winner of the Kings/Sharks.

So, it's back to the late starts for the next round.

yea but by next round I'm done for the semester

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherbert will be pleased to hear that CBC is broadcasting the Hawks - Wings series.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Fedorov can regain his scoring touch and Mike Vernon can stand on his head the Wings have a good shot. But that all depends on if Belfour is fully over his groin injury and if Roenick can keep his wits about him and not get suckered into taking retalitation penalties.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is EXACTLY the key to the series. But good luck doing all those things shift in and shift out. Not so easy to do.

Wings WILL need to be more physical. That's how to play the Hawks. Forecheck down low knocking them off the puck. Possession time is key in this series.

I still think the Wings defense is susceptible. And Howard can be hot or cold, as can any goalie. And so far I'm not all that impressed with the third and fourth line of the Wings. I think the Hawks have the edge there, as well in the six d-men. Goalie is a toss up, although Howard has a GAA one goal more than Crawford.

Still waiting to see how many bad goals Crawford let's in again. Spectacular at most times in the Wild series, but let in two suspect goals.

Should be a good series. No predictions on my part.

I'm not sure about some of the things that you've indicated here, especially about any thoughts of permanency within our lineup. Babcock is very unpredictable in how he does things, sometimes to my dismay, but he will change things on a dime if he doesn't feel that the matchups fit what his game plan is structured around. Granted, every coach makes some changes throughout a game to try to get matchups moreso in their favor, but Mike doesn't always follow the similar structure from game to game, he seems to be more about matching against the opponent moreso than his concern should be for chemistry within the personnel on his team.
A prime example is what he did this last game, when he separated our top two players. He combined Zetterberg with Cleary and Filppula, then Datsyuk with Franzen and Abdelkader, but he left the 3rd line of Nyquist, Brunner, and Andersson in tact; and, for the most part, really had no 4th line to speak of, unless we want to call the few times that the lines of: Franzen, Eaves, and Sammy or Filppula, Sammy, and Bert or Andersson, Eaves, and Bert or Anderson, Sammy, and Bert stepped out on the ice together. Generally a 4th line can be identified when you can say; "oh, yeah, there they are again", but those combos where quite rare in that game, since Mike used each of those guys more intermittently with Datsyuk or Zetterberg in some of his line additions throughout the game.
Your groups on the Hawks team seem to be more consistent as to where someone might think they are going to see them in the lineup, but, unless Pavel and Hank are together, Mike will structure his groups so that, if you put a bet on it, most likely the house will be laughing all the way to the bank. And, as far as your feeling that the 3rd line isn't on solid ground, I would have to disagree, for I have followed this league for 61 seasons, and I would be hard pressed to remember a threesome, who normally would be in the AHL, had it not been for injuries to so-called 'key personnel' (Mike's analysis, not mine). These three have improved as a group at such a fast rate; and, here I'm not speaking about some guys who were drafted by some team specifically for the purpose of slotting them for their NHL team right away. Here are three guys who had to find a way to upgrade their 'on the job training', in a word, by 'tomorrow', where we now find all three of them on regular shifts as the 3rd line both in the regular season and in the playoffs, and they aren't making that many mistakes. Don't kid yourself, these kids are much better than you give them credit for, believe me.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had no idea Howard's been playing with a sore hamstring.

Last edited by a moderator:

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Cheveldae to a white courtesy phone, please...Tim Cheveldae to a white courtesy phone.