• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1-0

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
48-17 over Rice

Offensively, I thought we looked really impressive outside of those first two drives. Once we got it clicking, we showed signs of being very explosive.

Defensively, we had a few break downs, 2 of those break downs resulted in touchdown passes. The D line looked very good, in my opinion. Jaylon Smith also looked good.

Punt Return looked much improved from last season

All in all, I'm very happy with today. Good start

295 passing yards, 281 rushing yards, 576 total.

Golson: 295 yards, 2 TD's and 3 more TD's on the ground

Folston: 12 carries 71 yards
Bryant: 8 carries 71 yards 1 TD
McDaniel: 8 carries 40 yards

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, Golson looked really good. He got more and more comfortable as the game went on, and when he's comfortable, he's very dangerous. 5 totals touchdowns for him.

Malik Zaire's first play? Loved it, except for him running out of gas at the end of that run, lol

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
happy to see a ND team not struggle against a lesser opponent. Looks like we might not miss Daniels on offense. Hope that Russell can come back.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
happy to see a ND team not struggle against a lesser opponent. Looks like we might not miss Daniels on offense. Hope that Russell can come back.

I think leaning on our running game will be the key this season, and when we need to make a play through the air, Golson is more than capable, especially given his ability to extend plays and keep it alive.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
48-17 over Rice

Offensively, I thought we looked really impressive outside of those first two drives. Once we got it clicking, we showed signs of being very explosive.

Defensively, we had a few break downs, 2 of those break downs resulted in touchdown passes. The D line looked very good, in my opinion. Jaylon Smith also looked good.

Punt Return looked much improved from last season

All in all, I'm very happy with today. Good start

295 passing yards, 281 rushing yards, 576 total.

Golson: 295 yards, 2 TD's and 3 more TD's on the ground

Folston: 12 carries 71 yards
Bryant: 8 carries 71 yards 1 TD
McDaniel: 8 carries 40 yards

Feel pretty much the same way. I want to think that the playbook was a li'l vanilla because it didn't have to be any more complex and I see some really good signs on the offense. Fuller looks like a deep threat, Koyak seemed hardly used as much as we could've and was productive and I really like the combo of Bryant and Folston and Cam perhaps pounding the shorts. I was thinking they should be playing Robinson in the slot, his height should be giving him easy matchups across the middle or getting outside from that slot but with Carlisle too they might shape up to really put pressure on a Defense with all the capable weaponry we have, it all starts with the line and it looked pretty good. This can be a pretty explosive offense but it was Rice so I'm not going to drop to my knees from this one game but I'm curious to see how we look vs. Michigan, they had about the same type of day vs. App St and I think this could be brewing up to be a really good game next week.

I think the loss of Collinsworth could be troublesome in the short-term, but I'm hopeful someone can step up, someone had to be learning to be his backup wouldn't they? I do think we can be strong against the run but our secondary may be where we can be exploited. Aggressive D and no pressure = poor outcome usually.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think leaning on our running game will be the key this season, and when we need to make a play through the air, Golson is more than capable, especially given his ability to extend plays and keep it alive.

I absolutely loved seeing Bryant run so well. I really hope Kelly doesn't become so attached to Cam. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid runner, but he's nowhere near the caliber that Bryant and Folston are. I know Kelly said he was trying to ride the hot hand yesterday, I just would really like to see more of Bryant/Folston and less of Cam.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep pounding the rock.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep pounding the rock.

Bryant is clearly the most talented back on the roster, and that's not a dis of Folston or McDaniel, who have their own skill sets that are a great fit on this team. But I did see where Kelly's criticisms of him are valid. There was at least one stretch play where he outran his blockers. If he hesitated, let them set up and make his cut he would have gone at least 5-6 more yards out of the play. Kelly mentioned earlier in camp he still needs to learn to trust his O line, something Cam does exceptionally well. There was also the busted goal line play. He fixes those things and I think he'll end up taking the most reps.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely loved seeing Bryant run so well. I really hope Kelly doesn't become so attached to Cam. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid runner, but he's nowhere near the caliber that Bryant and Folston are. I know Kelly said he was trying to ride the hot hand yesterday, I just would really like to see more of Bryant/Folston and less of Cam.

I'm ok with all 3 of them getting touches.

There's a few things that Bryant still lacks mentally, but he's definitely the most talented of the 3. Did you see the punt return where he didn't fair catch the ball? That was a little dangerous, and shows he's trying to do too much.

But I'm with ya for the most part, Bryant could be a real stud soon

Last edited by a moderator:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the punt return where he didn't fair catch the ball?
Yes I did, and was very glad to see he didn't fumble or get smashed.

I see your point. I guess I just know how Kelly seems to stick with guys even if they aren't the best imo. I thought Cierre was the best back for us a couple years ago, and it seemed Kelly never really let him get in a rhythm during games. He would play for a couple series and we wouldn't see him for a couple more. Made no sense to me. But I guess there's things he sees in practice and such that we don't.

I listened to the post game on the radio and Reggie Brooks is one of the guys on there. He made a comment about Cam being the best runner on the team, hands down. I couldn't help but laugh. I don't think Cam is all that bad, but he just doesn't have what I see in Bryant.

Anywho, I guess having a 3-headed monster in the backfield isn't the worst problem to have. ;)

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to the post game on the radio and Reggie Brooks is one of the guys on there. He made a comment about Cam being the best runner on the team, hands down. I couldn't help but laugh. I don't think Cam is all that bad, but he just doesn't have what I see in Bryant.

Anywho, I guess having a 3-headed monster in the backfield isn't the worst problem to have. ;)

I don't think Reggie was talking in terms of talent or raw ability. I think he meant in terms of how to play the position. He's a patient runner, follows his blockers, can pass protect better that Folston or Bryant, is a receiving threat. He'd never beat those guys in the open field and might not break as many tackles but he has the most skills of the three. But I agree, having three RB's that can play and bring something different forces teams to game plan for that.

And Cierre Wood was his own worst enemy at ND. Some of those problems carried over to the NFL and that's why he's out of the league right now. He had a golden opportunity when the guys in front of him in Houston went down with injuries and he blew it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok guys Im back and very happy with ND. Offense started slow but damn they were on fire after those 1st couple drives. I was away on vacation and this game made my vacation.

Positives:
1)Golson looks awesome
2)RB's look great (Bryant is a beast)
3)Schmidt looked great. He put on some big hits.
4)Special teams are back. It was great to see us actually return a punt.
5)Riggs and Luke played a good game at CB
6)Offense has speed finally. CJ, Fuller, Brown, Carlisle is gong to be tough to cover.

Negatives:
1)Safety play was bad.
2)Little disappointed in the Oline, especially Martin. He didn't have a great game.
3)Not much pressure from the front 7.(I know Kelly said it was planned but still.)

Overall Loved what I saw. I had this team at 8-4 but I think they can go 9-3, maybe 10-2 if everything goes right(no big injuries).