• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 09.20.23 - Trying to stay above .500 in the desert

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would estimate there is approx a 1% chance he still has the team…

I see what you did there.

TBH, I don't see this team playing with passion and urgency, no matter the skill level (or lack thereof). In 2021, every button Kap pushed worked. In 2023, virtually NONE of the buttons Kap has pressed have worked. Maybe the buttons no longer work. Maybe they ought not to be pushed so often (who can forget removing Crawford for a newly sighed castoff late in a game to get the LHP-RHB matchup?).

In perspective, the Yankees and Padres spent a boatload of money and prospects this season, and neither will make the playoffs. There are rumblings in Sandy Waffle about Preller (see the Athletic article today), and about the Spanks' leadership. If they underperform expectations and have those conversations, certainly the Giants should be having those conversations. But FZ and Kap have been virtually guaranteed to come back.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Pavlovic game summary

The Diamondbacks have a superstar in their outfield and they've already locked him up for the rest of the decade. He's exactly the type of player the Giants are waiting for, so whatever you do, do not look up where Carroll was drafted in 2019.

You definitely do not want to look up the fact that the Giants drafted a left-handed-hitting outfielder six picks ahead of Carroll [Bishop] and then spent about $10 million to trade for the player who was taken exactly one pick before him [Wilson], or the fact that the two Giants prospects are two of three players taken in the top 20 that year who have yet to reach the big leagues.

Who was in charge of that draft, and that trade? Anyone?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Diamondbacks have a superstar in their outfield and they've already locked him up for the rest of the decade. He's exactly the type of player the Giants are waiting for, so whatever you do, do not look up where Carroll was drafted in 2019.

You definitely do not want to look up the fact that the Giants drafted a left-handed-hitting outfielder six picks ahead of Carroll [Bishop] and then spent about $10 million to trade for the player who was taken exactly one pick before him [Wilson], or the fact that the two Giants prospects are two of three players taken in the top 20 that year who have yet to reach the big leagues.

The only hitters who look decent, at this point, are an outfielder who may be overhyped and a middle infielder that, inexplicably, ISN'T being promoted by FZ. On the pitching side, there is the guy who got shipped to the Cubs for Bryant, a pitcher who has spent most of his time in the minors on the IL and another pitcher (the only pick from 2019 that has played on the Giants) who will miss all of 2024 because of TJ. That draft was a mess.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I pointed out those factoids about a month or so back.

:wave:

Hey, Pavs…

:wave:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you did there.

TBH, I don't see this team playing with passion and urgency, no matter the skill level (or lack thereof). In 2021, every button Kap pushed worked. In 2023, virtually NONE of the buttons Kap has pressed have worked. Maybe the buttons no longer work. Maybe they ought not to be pushed so often (who can forget removing Crawford for a newly sighed castoff late in a game to get the LHP-RHB matchup?).

In perspective, the Yankees and Padres spent a boatload of money and prospects this season, and neither will make the playoffs. There are rumblings in Sandy Waffle about Preller (see the Athletic article today), and about the Spanks' leadership. If they underperform expectations and have those conversations, certainly the Giants should be having those conversations. But FZ and Kap have been virtually guaranteed to come back.
I have heard FZ given the “vote of confidence”, but I have not heard anything regarding Kap. We talked about it here about a week or so back, but iirc, that was just speculation. I don’t think any of that was based on any actual reports.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As if any of us remembers last week.....
Remember years ago we suspected Shulman lurked this board (we started to suspect on Disney). We would OFTEN talk about something, and within hours, Shulman would tweet something very related. Granted, we were often watching the game and brought up an odd factoid about this or that that could have been thought of by anyone following the team super closely, but the consistency of his posting our ideas was pushing the borders of coincidence.

Realistically, it isn’t so out of the realm that a beat writer for a team would lurk the message boards of a major sports site like ESPN to gauge the temp of the fanbase or to farm ideas.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember years ago we suspected Shulman lurked this board (we started to suspect on Disney). We would OFTEN talk about something, and within hours, Shulman would tweet something very related. Granted, we were often watching the game and brought up an odd factoid about this or that that could have been thought of by anyone following the team super closely, but the consistency of his posting our ideas was pushing the borders of coincidence.

Realistically, it isn’t so out of the realm that a beat writer for a team would lurk the message boards of a major sports site like ESPN to gauge the temp of the fanbase or to farm ideas.

Now I do recall that. Some of the posters would even post "Hi Henry"

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baggs just wrote a scorching article in the Athletic, essentially saying the Giants need to apologize to Webb for the lack of support. Baggs is en fuego in the article, and not wrong.
I completely agree. Can you imagine the toll it must take on him ? Pitching more innings than anyone else and getting no run support for it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. Can you imagine the toll it must take on him ? Pitching more innings than anyone else and getting no run support for it.

Well, Matt Cain did that his entire career without a hint of complaint. Webb seems to be cut from the same cloth.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs, Marlins and Reds all lost today, so there is that. However, we are currently closer to the Padres (1.5 games ahead) than the Cubs (3 games back) right now.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Matt Cain did that his entire career without a hint of complaint. Webb seems to be cut from the same cloth.
Webb has been Cained a lot so far in his short career. I wonder who has been Cained more during their start of their career between the two ? :think:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this is true, and Cain is a legend, Webb seems to have out-Cained even Matt.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-25 in the last 30 road games. If they only win 40% of those games, they are in the playoffs. gotta blame someone for this cliff dive post ASB.
5-25 in baseball is approaching statistical impossibility. At some point it isn't random 'we're not good enough' losses - there must be an underlying cause