• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paul and Chandler to the Bay

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woj has an article coming shortly. Basically the Warriors, Clipps, and Celts have been in strong discussions for Paul today. Paul has said he'd consider signing long term with the Warriors or Clipps if they signed Chandler.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Chandler wants $12+ per. We are offering Curry and Thompson for Paul.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawakami is reporting that an NBA source said the Celtics contacted the Warriors about trying to trade Rondo for Curry, presumably to flip to the Hornets for Paul. Looks like the Hornets are really into Curry. Still skeptical about trading Curry for a potential 1 year player. Even with Chandler there are no guarantees.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love Curry, Chris Paul is Chris Paul.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love the idea of this deal and I love the idea that the front office is willing to make a bold move to land a superstar.

That being said, trading Thompson, Udoh AND Curry for Paul leaves the Warriors mighty thin in the roster department. The starting lineup would be:

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Monta Ellis
SF: Dorell Wright
PF: _avi_ Lee
C: Tyson Chandler

That is a very solid starting 5. But the bench looks like a freaking nightmare.

PG: Jeremy Lin
SG: Charles Jenkins, Charlie Bell
SF: Reggie Williams
PF: Louis Amundson
C: Jeremy Tyler

Those players together would not win an NBDL title. And with the contracts of Paul and Chandler (assuming he makes about $13 mil per), the Warriors are not going to have much money to go out and fill out the roster with quality players. The only player on the team that would any real trade value is Monta, and he would not land enough quality in return to restock the bench. Plus it would open up a hole at SG.

Before we start dreaming of Paul and Chandler, we as fans really should think about what the trade would do to the team's depth.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we still would make a deal around Ellis by the break. If we're trading Udoh in the deal then we still will have a hard time running with a pair of 6'3 guards. I think a deal with Portland would be coming next to get bigger, more defensive, while adding depth the the bench. Ellis for Matthews and Batum. We wouldn't make a bold move for Paul to have him share the ball with Ellis.
:decision:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we still would make a deal around Ellis by the break. If we're trading Udoh in the deal then we still will have a hard time running with a pair of 6'3 guards. I think a deal with Portland would be coming next to get bigger, more defensive, while adding depth the the bench. Ellis for Matthews and Batum. We wouldn't make a bold move for Paul to have him share the ball with Ellis.
:decision:

If the Blazers would do Matthews and Batum for Ellis, I would make that trade in a second - and I am a huge Monta fan.

Paul
Matthews
Wright
Lee
Chandler

Bench:
Jenkins
Batum
Lin
Amundson
Williams
Bell

One more thing: I know that Charlie Bell is useless, but he is in the last year of his contract. I am fairly confident that he can be traded near the deadline to a team that is rebuilding. The Warriors will not get a great player in return, but I don't have a doubt that they will get a guy who can play and contribute off the bench.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'd get to use the mid-level exception for someone right?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not since we technically wouldn't be over or at the cap going into the off-season?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe not since we technically wouldn't be over or at the cap going into the off-season?

The mid-level exception is kind of odd. Even though the Warriors are under the cap, by the time they sign Thompson and Tyler and Jenkins, they will likely be close enough to the cap that they will be able to use the exception. When teams are under the cap, the league views the MLE as a player and adds that (and the bi-annual exemption and any traded player exemptions the team may have) to the team's salary. That, in effect puts the Warriors over the cap.

I do not believe the Warriors used their bi-annual exception last season, so they will have it this year. That plus the mid-level will give the team about $7 mil to spend. They will be able to get a few decent players for that money. But to get multiple players to fill out the roster, Golden State is going to have to find players who are similar in talent to Vlad Radmanovic. If they complete the trade for Paul and sign Chandler, I think they would have a better shot at convincing a more talented player to take less money, but still we're not talking a Shane Battier-type player here. We're talking about a Landry Fields-esque player.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mid-level exception is kind of odd. Even though the Warriors are under the cap, by the time they sign Thompson and Tyler and Jenkins, they will likely be close enough to the cap that they will be able to use the exception. When teams are under the cap, the league views the MLE as a player and adds that (and the bi-annual exemption and any traded player exemptions the team may have) to the team's salary. That, in effect puts the Warriors over the cap.

I do not believe the Warriors used their bi-annual exception last season, so they will have it this year. That plus the mid-level will give the team about $7 mil to spend. They will be able to get a few decent players for that money. But to get multiple players to fill out the roster, Golden State is going to have to find players who are similar in talent to Vlad Radmanovic. If they complete the trade for Paul and sign Chandler, I think they would have a better shot at convincing a more talented player to take less money, but still we're not talking a Shane Battier-type player here. We're talking about a Landry Fields-esque player.

or Reggie Williams and Al Thorton to come off the bench.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
or Reggie Williams and Al Thorton to come off the bench.

I already consider Williams a part of the bench. Golden State has the right to extend him a qualifying offer which will tie him to the team for one more year. I fully expect that to happen regardless of what happens in the Paul/Chandler negotiations.

I don't want Thornton anywhere near Golden State this year unless he's in a visitor's uniform. Just my opinion but the guy is a sieve defensively who does not pass and cannot handle the ball other than to shoot.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul likes Mark Jackson and Chandler. Malone coached him. It seems likely we get Paul if we sign Chandler. I can't wait for this saga to end.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I honestly do not understand the rationale behind the Warriors wanting to trade Monta and keep Curry. Yeah Curry is seen as more valuable around the league and would get the Warriors a lot more in a future trade.

But Chris Paul is 6 feet tall. People were complaining that a backcourt of Monta and Curry (both 6-foot-3) was too small to work in the NBA. Putting Paul at the point and moving Curry to the SG makes the Warriors even smaller. Plus, you can argue with me all you want here, but Monta >>>>>Curry when compared as shooting guards. Sure Curry has a lot more to offer in his game, but when you put both strictly at the 2 guard spot and take the ball out of their hands for large chunks of time and I take Monta every day of the week. He is a better slasher and better mid-range shooter. While Curry has the edge on 3-point shots, he's not that much better as to render the other parts of his game irrelevant.

I know that trading Curry would stink, but getting Paul (and by association Chandler) would be HUGE.