• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

YOUR REGULAR SEASON PROJECTIONS

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen enough preseason games...my thoughts.

This will be a measurement year for Tomlin's ability to coach. I'm all for letting coaches coach, but fewer ST penalties, and pre-snap penalties needs to fall on him. A lot more young guys they will be counting on...right now the OL doesn't look like a playoff OL. The G-C-G play I thought needed some big improvement on handling delayed blitzing...we'll see how they do...Adams has a decent move to protect the edge, but not quick enough to seal the inside at the same time, like the premier LTs (Joe Thomas)...speed edge guys with a inside move will give him trouble...in DIV, Dunlap is not great, but he worries me b/c they are so strong inside.

I think early in the season we could see Ben on the move out of the pocket...probably some by design...the running game worries me because no Speath, and Paulson is not doing much better as a blocking TE...they are playing around with Beachum in some short yardage pkgs. I still don't see a 1000 yd rusher...and that middle of the field security blanket for Ben. I think the OFC will be up and down again this year.

DEF I feel better about...The DL I think will be a little different, maybe a few more splash plays in the gaps from McClendon...I think this DEF has a chance to create more turnovers...the addition of Jones and a re-energized #56, to go with Timmons coming on the blitz they might get there more. I still the think back 4 is very solid.

The 1st 6 games...fortunate they are not facing many big time OFC here...I can see some low scoring games in this group...4-2 (loses @CIN, CHI)

The next 6 games....4-2 (loses @NE, @BAL)

Final 4 games...3 of these are home games...3-1 (loss @ GB)

11-5 best case.

I think they could get swept by CIN or lose one to CLE and go 10-6.

Your thoughts?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen enough preseason games...my thoughts.

This will be a measurement year for Tomlin's ability to coach. I'm all for letting coaches coach, but fewer ST penalties, and pre-snap penalties needs to fall on him. A lot more young guys they will be counting on...right now the OL doesn't look like a playoff OL. The G-C-G play I thought needed some big improvement on handling delayed blitzing...we'll see how they do...Adams has a decent move to protect the edge, but not quick enough to seal the inside at the same time, like the premier LTs (Joe Thomas)...speed edge guys with a inside move will give him trouble...in DIV, Dunlap is not great, but he worries me b/c they are so strong inside.

I think early in the season we could see Ben on the move out of the pocket...probably some by design...the running game worries me because no Speath, and Paulson is not doing much better as a blocking TE...they are playing around with Beachum in some short yardage pkgs. I still don't see a 1000 yd rusher...and that middle of the field security blanket for Ben. I think the OFC will be up and down again this year.

DEF I feel better about...The DL I think will be a little different, maybe a few more splash plays in the gaps from McClendon...I think this DEF has a chance to create more turnovers...the addition of Jones and a re-energized #56, to go with Timmons coming on the blitz they might get there more. I still the think back 4 is very solid.

The 1st 6 games...fortunate they are not facing many big time OFC here...I can see some low scoring games in this group...4-2 (loses @CIN, CHI)

The next 6 games....4-2 (loses @NE, @BAL)

Final 4 games...3 of these are home games...3-1 (loss @ GB)

11-5 best case.

I think they could get swept by CIN or lose one to CLE and go 10-6.

Your thoughts?

I agree, this year is Tomlin's year to really put his coaching to the test. He has already set a great tone in Latrobe, and he just needs to carry it over to the regular season. Now is definitely not the time to get soft, even with the injuries piling up. I used to say this all the time on the ESPN forums, but if Pitt gets off to a slow start this season then I would expect Tomlin's seat to start heating up. I also predicted that either Tomlin or Colbert's ship will set sail if this team doesn't produce. My prediction is that if this year goes sour, then Colbert's reign is coming to an end. This year's draft class has a lot more promise than the last few years, but that is only based off of OTA's, TC, and preseason play. Once the regular season starts and the spotlight gets turned on, then we'll really find out what this team is made of. But as for Colbert's other recent drafts, they have been a pretty big disappointment. Namely the 2008, 2009, and "2012" classes. (The jury is still out on the 2012 class, but from last season alone this draft did not do much for us). The most alarming stat is that there are 0 players left on the roster from '08, and 2 from '09. Arguments can be made that those drafts really hurt us in recent years. But back to ATL's post...

The O-line is definitely going to worry me for the first few games until they start to really gel together. But if they can stay healthy then this unit will be tough to get through down the stretch.

I think you are forgetting about David Johnson who is another blocking TE. He was just activated off the PUP last week and he is now taking his position back from Paulson. I am definitely not as worried with DJ back in the mix. And now with recent talks of Miller being ready by week 1 or 2, I am all the more assured that the TE position will not hurt them. The only position that still worries me is RB. If Pitt can solidify the rushing attack before Bell returns then they will be a dynamic offense once again. But this goes back to the O-line play...

Agreed, the defense is less worrisome. Along with everything you posted, I would also add Cortez. I can't wait to see what this kid does this season. By the time bye week hits (if not sooner), we will all be saying Keenan WHO???

My prediction has Pitt sitting at 10-6 for the season. I think they will be in second or tied with the Bengals for first in the division. Most likely Steelers will be in the wild card round.

I'm ready for this season to finally start!!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, this year is Tomlin's year to really put his coaching to the test. He has already set a great tone in Latrobe, and he just needs to carry it over to the regular season. Now is definitely not the time to get soft, even with the injuries piling up. I used to say this all the time on the ESPN forums, but if Pitt gets off to a slow start this season then I would expect Tomlin's seat to start heating up. I also predicted that either Tomlin or Colbert's ship will set sail if this team doesn't produce. My prediction is that if this year goes sour, then Colbert's reign is coming to an end. This year's draft class has a lot more promise than the last few years, but that is only based off of OTA's, TC, and preseason play. Once the regular season starts and the spotlight gets turned on, then we'll really find out what this team is made of. But as for Colbert's other recent drafts, they have been a pretty big disappointment. Namely the 2008, 2009, and "2012" classes. (The jury is still out on the 2012 class, but from last season alone this draft did not do much for us). The most alarming stat is that there are 0 players left on the roster from '08, and 2 from '09. Arguments can be made that those drafts really hurt us in recent years. But back to ATL's post...

The O-line is definitely going to worry me for the first few games until they start to really gel together. But if they can stay healthy then this unit will be tough to get through down the stretch.

I think you are forgetting about David Johnson who is another blocking TE. He was just activated off the PUP last week and he is now taking his position back from Paulson. I am definitely not as worried with DJ back in the mix. And now with recent talks of Miller being ready by week 1 or 2, I am all the more assured that the TE position will not hurt them. The only position that still worries me is RB. If Pitt can solidify the rushing attack before Bell returns then they will be a dynamic offense once again. But this goes back to the O-line play...

Agreed, the defense is less worrisome. Along with everything you posted, I would also add Cortez. I can't wait to see what this kid does this season. By the time bye week hits (if not sooner), we will all be saying Keenan WHO???

My prediction has Pitt sitting at 10-6 for the season. I think they will be in second or tied with the Bengals for first in the division. Most likely Steelers will be in the wild card round.

I'm ready for this season to finally start!!! :yahoo:

Tomlin...imo he has to beat the non-playoff teams this year...TN could be a playoff team, but imo not enough OFC, OAK, NYJ, etc. really need to be Ws this yr.

Tomlin-Colbert...idk what level of involvement Tomlin had early on in the draft compared to Cowher, but I wouldn't think it would've been the same given he was a pretty young HC. In either case the overall record is really not that bad...especially if Jones turns out to be a playmaker. The DL hasn't been good, but considering they were following Keisel, Hampton, and Smith...it had to go downhill some. Young developing OL, DBs and WRs have been very solid.

TE...agreed...he's not the pass catcher Miller is, but I just saw he was activated...I hope he can stay on the field until Miller is ready.

Record...yeah...we're on the same page...if the OL clicks by the bye, they should be in contention for the DIV.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin...imo he has to beat the non-playoff teams this year...TN could be a playoff team, but imo not enough OFC, OAK, NYJ, etc. really need to be Ws this yr.

Tomlin-Colbert...idk what level of involvement Tomlin had early on in the draft compared to Cowher, but I wouldn't think it would've been the same given he was a pretty young HC. In either case the overall record is really not that bad...especially if Jones turns out to be a playmaker. The DL hasn't been good, but considering they were following Keisel, Hampton, and Smith...it had to go downhill some. Young developing OL, DBs and WRs have been very solid.

TE...agreed...he's not the pass catcher Miller is, but I just saw he was activated...I hope he can stay on the field until Miller is ready.

Record...yeah...we're on the same page...if the OL clicks by the bye, they should be in contention for the DIV.

If we don't come away with wins for those games, then you can go ahead and stick a fork in them. There wouldn't be any chance of making it anywhere without W's from those weeks.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the new injuries, we will have to wait and see how the Cincy game goes next week before we can reevaluate this... Not sure they can pull off a winning season if the offense performs the way it did yesterday, or if they don't come up with answers to the injuries.