• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yet Another BOOK Thread

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I know you've all read a few books since we've last had our discussion on books. Any new ones you'd like to recommend? Currently halfway through The Hunger Games trilogy, and I'm a fan (though the girl/romantic in me is on edge constantly), also just got "In the Garden of the Beasts" by Eric Larsson, who wrote Devil in the White City, which was fantastic. Hopefully this one stands up to the last one well. So book worms, any others ya wanna mention?!

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished the last of the Dark Tower series. That was a great series.

I am about to start Game of Thrones (I think that is the title), it's the one they did the mini series on. Although I may take a hiatus from series and do a couple of one off books.

I have a George Washington biography that's been collecting dust, maybe I'll start that up.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I know you've all read a few books since we've last had our discussion on books. Any new ones you'd like to recommend? Currently halfway through The Hunger Games trilogy, and I'm a fan (though the girl/romantic in me is on edge constantly), also just got "In the Garden of the Beasts" by Eric Larsson, who wrote Devil in the White City, which was fantastic. Hopefully this one stands up to the last one well. So book worms, any others ya wanna mention?!

I liked The Hunger Games but liked each book in the series less than the one before. I too have "In The Garden Of Beasts" but havent read it yet, I think Larson is a great writer.
I just read "Death In The City Of Lights" about a serial killer in Nazi occupied Paris. The killer and what he does is really interesting but the book was so full of tangents and filler that I cannot recommend it.
I just started "The Cut" by George Pelecanos, I almost always like his stuff.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished the last of the Dark Tower series. That was a great series.

I am about to start Game of Thrones (I think that is the title), it's the one they did the mini series on. Although I may take a hiatus from series and do a couple of one off books.

I have a George Washington biography that's been collecting dust, maybe I'll start that up.

Game of Thrones looked pretty good, the mini-series trailer intrigued me enough that I may pick it up. I'm not a big reader during the school year, just don't have time.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked The Hunger Games but liked each book in the series less than the one before. I too have "In The Garden Of Beasts" but havent read it yet, I think Larson is a great writer.
I just read "Death In The City Of Lights" about a serial killer in Nazi occupied Paris. The killer and what he does is really interesting but the book was so full of tangents and filler that I cannot recommend it.

I mean, I'm halfway through the second, and I like it...but if (SPOILER ALERT...sort of) she has to go back to the "place" I may get a little upset. Also, if one of my "couple" dies I'll be ticked. I get too into these things some times. Anyway, the Paris one seems interesting, similar plot to Devil in the White City with the serial killer. I'm interested to see what Larson does with this one, because it's description is very intriguing, but I wonder if he throws in a semi-fictional subplot like he did with the other book. That's what I enjoyed about that book, history, non-fiction, then some fiction/artistic license with a true story.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am reading the girl who played with fire and I like it....

I feel like I'm going to have to cave and just read those. I won't see the movie until I read them anyway. My Mom really enjoyed the series, though she didn't like The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest as much.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey Comeds... which Pelecanos series have you read? And if more than one which one do you recommend?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in a depression after finishing the last Frederick Forsyth book. I have now read every one of his books (some two and a couple, three times) and picked the first one up at Costco. I didn't put it down much.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You read the new Preston/Child project yet? The first book got bad reviews but I will read it eventually.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I'm halfway through the second, and I like it...but if (SPOILER ALERT...sort of) she has to go back to the "place" I may get a little upset. Also, if one of my "couple" dies I'll be ticked. I get too into these things some times. Anyway, the Paris one seems interesting, similar plot to Devil in the White City with the serial killer. I'm interested to see what Larson does with this one, because it's description is very intriguing, but I wonder if he throws in a semi-fictional subplot like he did with the other book. That's what I enjoyed about that book, history, non-fiction, then some fiction/artistic license with a true story.

I like the way Larson combines a couple different topics into one narrative. In "Devil" I liked both the serial killer stuff and the Chicago worlds fair (kind of America's coming out party if you will) and how they related. In "Thunderstruck" it was a fugitive trying to escape across the Atlantic and the race to build a transatlantic communication system.
"Isac's Storm" is good too, about one of the most devastating storms ever and how the young national weather service failed tremendously.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You read the new Preston/Child project yet? The first book got bad reviews but I will read it eventually.

Gideon's Sword? I have read that. Its OK at best. Its just kind of simple and silly but it moves fast.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the way Larson combines a couple different topics into one narrative. In "Devil" I liked both the serial killer stuff and the Chicago worlds fair (kind of America's coming out party if you will) and how they related. In "Thunderstruck" it was a fugitive trying to escape across the Atlantic and the race to build a transatlantic communication system.
"Isac's Storm" is good too, about one of the most devastating storms ever and how the young national weather service failed tremendously.

Exactly, although I do admit there were times where the two story lines having to be switched constantly got a bit old. I'll have to check out those other two. I had heard of Thunderstruck, but not Isac's Storm.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Comeds... which Pelecanos series have you read? And if more than one which one do you recommend?

Looking at the list on the jacket of this one I may have read all of his over the years. I guess my favorite of his would be the Derek Strange series (starts with "Right As Rain") but I think I liked most of them. He does have series in a sense but for the most part they can be read in any order and characters pop up from others now and then.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the list on the jacket of this one I may have read all of his over the years. I guess my favorite of his would be the Derek Strange series (starts with "Right As Rain") but I think I liked most of them. He does have series in a sense but for the most part they can be read in any order and characters pop up from others now and then.

Cool. Thanks.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got ya.....

I read the first of the Helen trilogy and actually liked it but know that series can not go on forever.

I still enjoy that series because I enjoy the characters and its fun to 'catch up' with them now and then. But I agree with you.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a game of thrones is real solid.. i was about halfway through reading it when the series started (at the urging of my roommate) but i put it down after the series.. i've started reading it again though, i'm planning on going through the whole series this time