• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yah boy, Michael Schofield

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Rahim played so far back his 4th year. I sorta forgot about that. But you're right.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Rahim played so far back his 4th year. I sorta forgot about that. But you're right.

This is why I have a tough time seeing as that Raiders fan did that they will be winning 2-3 Super Bowls over the next 7 years. Del Rio while I don't think he is the worst coach in the league I just can't see him making the right decisions to actually lead his team to consistent victories. Decisions like that of having Rahim back sometimes what looked like 30 yards off the LOS where he is a non-factor in the play just seem like common sense to be a mistake unless it is late in the game where you just need to keep a team out of the end zone. Not 1st quarter with the game tied.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the OP I would love to see Schofield emerge as a decent player for us. He did show some glimpses of being ok. I hope we don't have to see him start but if he could be a quality depth guy I wouldn't be upset about that at all. I don't think him putting on extra weight is what I want to hear though. Footwork was down right terrible and extra weight doesn't usually help the feet get faster. He also though needed to work on his initial punch. Many times he would lunge at a guy to try and knock him off balance and well all it did was make him unbalanced giving a very nice lane to the QB for the defender.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article says he has improved due to added weight. Too early to say that, IMO.

Broncos' offensive tackle Michael Schofield improves thanks to added weight

It actually makes a lot of sense. It is his third year in the NFL and he is turning 24-25 years old. That is the age that NFL players start seeing the biggest gains in weight and muscle mass and that NFL training room starts really doing wonders for. I remember seeing Schofield when he came into the NFL and tbh, he was kind of a doughy 300 lb guy and did not have a whole lot of muscle mass to him and I was pretty much resigned to him being one of those offensive lineman you have to wait till around year 3 or 4 to really start developing into starter material.

The sad part of things in today's NFL is we are so impatient and think so many of these kids are ready to step on the field and become impactful NFL players as rookies and sophomore players. This is just not plausible in a lot of cases due to genetics, their bodies are just not ready and they need a few years to develop an NFL body in order to play with the big boys. Hell, some of these guys need the few years just to develop the techniques and the way to properly do things.

Now, after saying all of this, I do know that the teams are handicapped by only being able to carry 53 people on their roster. With that and the push from the fanbase and owners to win now, rookie development sadly is mostly a thing of the past and talented players that need to grow into all of it are pushed way too early and then dumped and labeled as busts before you know if they could actually develop.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually makes a lot of sense. It is his third year in the NFL and he is turning 24-25 years old. That is the age that NFL players start seeing the biggest gains in weight and muscle mass and that NFL training room starts really doing wonders for. I remember seeing Schofield when he came into the NFL and tbh, he was kind of a doughy 300 lb guy and did not have a whole lot of muscle mass to him and I was pretty much resigned to him being one of those offensive lineman you have to wait till around year 3 or 4 to really start developing into starter material.

The sad part of things in today's NFL is we are so impatient and think so many of these kids are ready to step on the field and become impactful NFL players as rookies and sophomore players. This is just not plausible in a lot of cases due to genetics, their bodies are just not ready and they need a few years to develop an NFL body in order to play with the big boys. Hell, some of these guys need the few years just to develop the techniques and the way to properly do things.

Now, after saying all of this, I do know that the teams are handicapped by only being able to carry 53 people on their roster. With that and the push from the fanbase and owners to win now, rookie development sadly is mostly a thing of the past and talented players that need to grow into all of it are pushed way too early and then dumped and labeled as busts before you know if they could actually develop.

I do agree with all of this. My one hold back when it comes to Schofield though is that I have seen pictures of him this off season and I don't think it was muscle mass that he put on or at least in comparison to overall weight. He still looks pretty chunky and for a ZBS obviously the bigger guys don't always find great success in our system. Now a guy that I am excited to see is Sambrailo. He looks like he really bulked up even with his shoulder injury.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this, don't judge a book by its cover. I've come across many people in my time that don't look the part,but they are, and many that look the part but their not. Some people's bodies respond differently to weigh training than others. Some get the " definition look " and some don't no matter how much iron they push around. Doesn't mean they haven't gotten stronger,it's just not noticeable because of their body makeup.As far as Shoefield, he could definitely be stronger while still looking soft in appearance. When talking about " quick feet ", you either have it or you don't. Just like your either fast or your not. You run a 5.6 forty, no matter how much effort you put in, your not really going to one day run a 4.9. Now Shofield can benefit with added weight/strength for balance and getting coached up technique wise as well but he's not going to get " quicker " feet regardless.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this, don't judge a book by its cover. I've come across many people in my time that don't look the part,but they are, and many that look the part but their not. Some people's bodies respond differently to weigh training than others. Some get the " definition look " and some don't no matter how much iron they push around. Doesn't mean they haven't gotten stronger,it's just not noticeable because of their body makeup.As far as Shoefield, he could definitely be stronger while still looking soft in appearance. When talking about " quick feet ", you either have it or you don't. Just like your either fast or your not. You run a 5.6 forty, no matter how much effort you put in, your not really going to one day run a 4.9. Now Shofield can benefit with added weight/strength for balance and getting coached up technique wise as well but he's not going to get " quicker " feet regardless.

Some good points here, but I do have to refute one thing and say that sometimes quick feet or speed or quickness can be taught because it is not that the ability is not there, it is just they are doing something wrong such as they play flat footed and plant and do not get onto the balls of their feet. Of course they will appear slower than someone who is not playing flat footed.

For some people being flat footed like that is natural and they look like they are plodding. When I was a wrestler in high school, it was just so natural for me to do that. My coaches went way out of their way to try and correct it with me, but could never get it to stick. It was not till much later in life that I got it while doing something else and realized what they were trying to teach me years earlier. It still to this day feels unnatural for me, but I force myself and yes, I am much quicker.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good points here, but I do have to refute one thing and say that sometimes quick feet or speed or quickness can be taught because it is not that the ability is not there, it is just they are doing something wrong such as they play flat footed and plant and do not get onto the balls of their feet. Of course they will appear slower than someone who is not playing flat footed.

For some people being flat footed like that is natural and they look like they are plodding. When I was a wrestler in high school, it was just so natural for me to do that. My coaches went way out of their way to try and correct it with me, but could never get it to stick. It was not till much later in life that I got it while doing something else and realized what they were trying to teach me years earlier. It still to this day feels unnatural for me, but I force myself and yes, I am much quicker.

Agree with this. It is something that can be taught. I think Schofield has some ability. I mean he showed in the playoffs that he can hold up even against some decent pass rushers. It is a matter of him getting his technique to a higher level. which hey year 2 with Kubiak and his staff should improve a lot of these guys just because they don't have to think as much and those things that didn't feel natural last year feel just a little easier this year. Schofield was also thrown into a terrible situation last year. Really our entire OL was with trying to run the hybrid system that we were throwing off any kind of timing which is a huge part of an OL functioning. So I expect better things from him I just want to see it before I believe it though that this extra added weight is a good thing.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That and Core strength to get way more explosion

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with this. It is something that can be taught. I think Schofield has some ability. I mean he showed in the playoffs that he can hold up even against some decent pass rushers. It is a matter of him getting his technique to a higher level. which hey year 2 with Kubiak and his staff should improve a lot of these guys just because they don't have to think as much and those things that didn't feel natural last year feel just a little easier this year. Schofield was also thrown into a terrible situation last year. Really our entire OL was with trying to run the hybrid system that we were throwing off any kind of timing which is a huge part of an OL functioning. So I expect better things from him I just want to see it before I believe it though that this extra added weight is a good thing.
Good points for sure but I think " more agile " or agility and of course "anticipation "can be taught and that can compensate for lack of quickness as in someone like Mike. :)