• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

X-factor in the second half?

pursifull14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think could be an X-factor in the second half similar to how Frazier and Ludwick stepped it up when Votto went down last year?

Mesoraco is really starting to heat up, I think he gets my vote. I read on CBS that he is having an outstanding July so far and the last two games are no exception. Like 1503 has said, he typically shows significant improvement his second year at the same level.

I would love to see this team take off and win 19 games in July and August again.

Any other guesses as to who could "step it up" and propel this team to another division title?

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Xavier Paul...

#badjoke

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, discounting injury, the return to normalcy in the pitching would help.

I always believed that, down the stretch, good consistent catching was as important as anything. Good catchers can get a guy an extra inning and save the bullpen. Hanigan can do that. Mesoraco probably can't.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness...

It's Ludwick.

If he comes back and provides pop...something that is desperately needed from the right side of the plate, then I think this offense has a great chance of being pretty good.

He allows Phillips to slide into the 2 slot, which will fill that season long black hole, and Dusty can just put filling out the daily lineup card on auto-pilot...which would obviously be helpful.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Luddy will be a factor till September, which might be good enough.

Alfredo Simon, on the other hand ....

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Luddy will be a factor till September, which might be good enough.

Alfredo Simon, on the other hand ....

Me either...but that's really all that matters at this point.

And Simon?

Yeah, Marshall and Broxton need to come back.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broxton needs to pitch better and not let the wheat harvest in between pitches.
Cingrani is impressing me a little but he needs to cut down on his pitch count.
Bullpen is as good as anybody's. The problem is, the Cards and Parrots are going to beat all the turkeys most of the time. The Reds need to beat the turkeys too.
And then beat the Birds and the Parrots.
After that, it's easy.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting in general. Can they come up with enough clutch hits to win games?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Marshall going on the 60-day list, it's hard to evaluate what that means to the bullpen.
Sounds like a 40-man move but he's not showing any signs he will be ready soon.
Thought the move to put Frazier in LF last night was interesting.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about as bad planning as the Titanics evacuation plan, but I have to agree with Kate. For lack of better planning, this team has backed into a corner with Ludwick, where if he can't provide some cleanup clout, this team is reduced to having 3-4 other hitters completely have to hit out if their natural skill set, to score enough runs regularly to support a pitching staff allowing 4 runs a game. It's pathetic.

Instead of a team that has its first 3 hitters on base in a regular fashion, and can advance one to 3b with 1 out, either by an occasional steal, bunt, or a freaking out behind a runner, making the 4 hole a guy that just tries to lift the ball for a sac fly, and hit an occasional small park homer, they've turned it into a routine must hit 2 situation, or a none on no RISP situation.

BP has done ok, but he's going to hit under .270 trying to be an underpowered 4 hitter- I've seen him do it repeatedly. He's a ground ball frequent hitter, not a flyball hitter, which works against a 4 hitter by design. Evidence his DP frequency. He hit .300 as a tablesetter because of a few things- fewer runners on means fewer DP depth defenses, more early count fastballs, and the idea it's ok to single to RF on the outside pitch as a 1-2 hitter, but you really want to pull that same pitch for power as a 4 hitter.

It's all bad science, especially if you are counting on a journeyman 34 year old journeyman OF that averaged less than 15HR a year and hit under .250 for 75% of his last 3-4 years. He happened to hit over 20, primarily in a 3 month hot streak last year, after taking more than 5 weeks to get going. The term FLUKE comes to mind...He'll, Chris Heisey hit over 20HR in fewer at bats 2 years ago, but they didn't consider him the must have power bat, and at least he has age on his side. Ludwick isn't exactly Kevin Mitchell, but his brief run turned into a bigger contract than Mitchell earned with the Reds for Ludwick. It's a BIG gamble, but one Dusty has excused as why his team has struggled.

Dusty ALWAYS needs another bat. I though Choo was the other bat, but apparently the 2nd best OBP in rhe NL ( and on this team coincidentally) and potentially a 20-20 player isn't enough to make up losing LUDWICK ? Horse-shit.

This team can't score because Dusty can't explain to a team of professional hitters how to advance on the bases without a homer, a couple of walks and errors, or a wild pitch. They pitch and play D with the best, but dont maximise run differential partially because they routinely place predictable puts between better hitters, never steal, refuse to bunt a leadoff double to 3b, or hit a flyball with a rare runner at 3b and 1 out, but won't walk an opposing 8 hitter with 2 RISP and 1b open while they pull the D in.

Since they refuse to replace a manager who refuses good sense, it's all up to RYAN LUDWICK. Planning like this is why a lot of Titanic passengers decided jumping into a freezing ocean at night was safer than following the Captain and Crew's idea.

Cincy the Red

It all starts with heart.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Ludwick, in my opinion. His presence will change how our team gets pitched at. Everyone will move into their pre-season roles in the batting order and the Reds will thrive....providing Luddy shows up strong and takes off quick once he arrives. Needs to establish himself again as one the pitcher's need to be concerned about.

Messy has been great as of late but will be splitting time once Hanigan gets back. Impact will diminish because of it.

I dunno, overall I have been pretty pleased with this 2nd half start....time to start rolling up & smoking some opposition.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our guys have already won half the games on this road trip I expected. Zito is weak. Lincecum isn't the same guy he was 3 years ago. The Giants have 1 fewer hitters in their lineup the Reds do. The Dodgers have been showing signs of life lately. I still don't believe in the Padres, but I believe Bud Black will use what he has to try to best you. I'm always hopeful, but not overly optimistic yet we aren't in for a limping return. If Ludwick takes as long to get on a good streak as the last time, he should be stroking the ball about the time his $12 mil Reds deal is over. I'm hoping were within 5 games of the Cards on the return, and Cueto decides to pitch the last month of the season.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd Frazier all of a sudden is really starting to heat up. Both of the games yesterday he was just killing the ball. If we can get him going it would really a big difference.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the bright side.
The Parrots and the Cardinals won't lose to anybody they play.
I mean ... check it out. Doesn't matter who they play. They WON'T LOSE to the rest of the suck NL.

So the Reds were able to win 2 from the Parrots. That's something, I think.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the bright side.
The Parrots and the Cardinals won't lose to anybody they play.
I mean ... check it out. Doesn't matter who they play. They WON'T LOSE to the rest of the suck NL.

So the Reds were able to win 2 from the Parrots. That's something, I think.

Still have 16 games left combined vs both, and the Bucs and Cards have 14 vs each other.

That's where this division will be won or lost.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, the Redlegs can't afford to let games get away.
It seems like all of them are winnable lately, but a sweep of the Parrots was easily do-able even though they played worse than maybe they usually do.

The Birds are just relentless. I don't see them losing at all against the bad teams, the odd Miami debacle being the exception. It's not happened again.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, the Redlegs can't afford to let games get away.
It seems like all of them are winnable lately, but a sweep of the Parrots was easily do-able even though they played worse than maybe they usually do.

The Birds are just relentless. I don't see them losing at all against the bad teams, the odd Miami debacle being the exception. It's not happened again.

Which means the Reds need to win the season series against them...which would require winning 7 of 10.

And don't underestimate the Cards and Bucs ability to beat up on each other.

14 games against each other is a lot of games. That's what? About 25% of each team's remaining games?

That being said, I think they need to take 4 of the final 7 on this trip.

MHubbuch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the return of Ryan Ludwick will be key. It will move Phillips back to the 2 hole and give us some power.

I do think we will trade for a starter with Cueto still out. We need a dominate starter

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the return of Ryan Ludwick will be key. It will move Phillips back to the 2 hole and give us some power.

I do think we will trade for a starter with Cueto still out. We need a dominate starter

They don't need another starter. 1-5 they have one of the best rotations in baseball, and that's with Cueto out.

They just need to hit better and more consistently.

MHubbuch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't need another starter. 1-5 they have one of the best rotations in baseball, and that's with Cueto out.

They just need to hit better and more consistently.

Kate, to win in the playoffs. you need proven starters. We have been down this road before