• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU Baseball to Host Morgantown Regional

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
History has been made! WVU earned a 15 seed for the NCAA Baseball tournament. Hosting a regional is a program first.

The games in Morgantown are sold out. I expect record setting crowds if WVU makes it to the championship game.

WVU Baseball has arrived!

The three other teams in Morgantown... Fordham... will be WVU's first opponent... Texas A&M and Duke.

Duke and A&M play tomorrow at 4pm. WVU vs Fordham at 8pm. WVU's game will be on ESPN3.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is going down in Morgantown this weekend... regional NCAA baseball... is a thing because of one man. Oliver Luck.

Great article released yesterday...WVU ‘All In’ On College Baseball - West Virginia University Athletics

"WVU produced All-American players Chris Enochs and Jedd Gyorko, and had some pretty good teams in 1997, 1998, 2003 and 2009, but it never invested the resources in baseball needed to win the Big East and advance to the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis."

Having a son who played Travel Baseball in major tournaments I can attest to this...

"What convinced him to lead WVU (and Monongalia County) down the path toward investing millions of dollars in a college sport that has traditionally not fared too well in this part of the country?

It was a conversation he had with Stark, today Pittsburgh's vice president and assistant to general manager Neal Huntington.

"He told me, 'Listen, the players up in the north are every bit as good as the guys who grew up down in the south. They just might be two years behind because they can't play as many games in high school. There is no reason a baseball program can't be successful just because they are in a part of the country where the weather can be challenging,'" Luck recalled. "His point was we can do well in this part of the country as a member of the Big 12.

"We just have to appreciate the fact that a kid who comes to WVU from Ohio, New Jersey or Pennsylvania might be a year or two behind a kid from Texas, but he's every bit as good," Luck added. "There has to be a little bit of a different way of how you treat them and you coach them up and all that kind of stuff.

"That was one of the things that really convinced me to go all in," Luck concluded."

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is going down in Morgantown this weekend... regional NCAA baseball... is a thing because of one man. Oliver Luck.

Great article released yesterday...WVU ‘All In’ On College Baseball - West Virginia University Athletics

"WVU produced All-American players Chris Enochs and Jedd Gyorko, and had some pretty good teams in 1997, 1998, 2003 and 2009, but it never invested the resources in baseball needed to win the Big East and advance to the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis."

Having a son who played Travel Baseball in major tournaments I can attest to this...

"What convinced him to lead WVU (and Monongalia County) down the path toward investing millions of dollars in a college sport that has traditionally not fared too well in this part of the country?

It was a conversation he had with Stark, today Pittsburgh's vice president and assistant to general manager Neal Huntington.

"He told me, 'Listen, the players up in the north are every bit as good as the guys who grew up down in the south. They just might be two years behind because they can't play as many games in high school. There is no reason a baseball program can't be successful just because they are in a part of the country where the weather can be challenging,'" Luck recalled. "His point was we can do well in this part of the country as a member of the Big 12.

"We just have to appreciate the fact that a kid who comes to WVU from Ohio, New Jersey or Pennsylvania might be a year or two behind a kid from Texas, but he's every bit as good," Luck added. "There has to be a little bit of a different way of how you treat them and you coach them up and all that kind of stuff.

"That was one of the things that really convinced me to go all in," Luck concluded."

All Hail the KING!!....The weekend is soldout...First time an SEC has ever played in Morgantown....

Awesome stuff!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a waste of money building that stadium. Didn’t do shit for the University nor developed the area.

If No Balls was smart, now that’s an oxymoron, he’d start building a soccer/lacrosse stadium where the old baseball stadium currently stands. But then again, why waste money on soccer and lacrosse has only grown by leaps and bounds.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">4⃣3⃣5⃣5⃣!! For the 3rd time this season, the Mountaineers have set a single-game attendance record! <a href="#HailWV hashtag on Twitter">#HailWV</a> <a href="#RoadToOmaha hashtag on Twitter">#RoadToOmaha</a> <a href="https://t.co/5o50rsfBFS">pic.twitter.com/5o50rsfBFS</a></p>&mdash; WVU Baseball (@WVUBaseball) <a href="">June 1, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU defeats Fordham last night 6-2.

As I looked at the crowd while watching the game through Apple TV last night, I thought of Mickey Furfari. That fucker must have been rolling in his fucking grave last night.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn.

I was disappointed to see our offense struggle last night. Our ace was a little off against Duke, but our boys were having a time dealing with the off speed pitching.

Can’t believe how they loss today. Some questionable decisions by Mazey keeping pitchers in too long.

Walk-off grand slam to lose with 2 outs...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least I’m not a fan of Oklahoma St golf. Those boys kicked ass all season just to get eliminated in match play semi’s. Fucking brutal...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn.

I was disappointed to see our offense struggle last night. Our ace was a little off against Duke, but our boys were having a time dealing with the off speed pitching.

Can’t believe how they loss today. Some questionable decisions by Mazey keeping pitchers in too long.

Walk-off grand slam to lose with 2 outs...

The numbers caught up to him...had to have something if they played Duke...shit happens...its baseball..seems like all College Baseball teams have weak middle inning guys...they were fun to watch this year...good days ahead!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers caught up to him...had to have something if they played Duke...shit happens...its baseball..seems like all College Baseball teams have weak middle inning guys...they were fun to watch this year...good days ahead!

Understand the dilemma Mazey faced balancing his pitching staff in a tournament like this.

He gambled. He lost...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understand the dilemma Mazey faced balancing his pitching staff in a tournament like this.

He gambled. He lost...

Yeah I don't know baseball is funny game...I think all he had left were starters..if not pretty close, he went with the guy he thought could get it done. He probably squeezed out more than he should have with his closer but he made a call...can't fault him..with bases loaded the kid new he was going to get his pitch, he still had to put a swing on it...and he executed..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't know baseball is funny game...I think all he had left were starters..if not pretty close, he went with the guy he thought could get it done. He probably squeezed out more than he should have with his closer but he made a call...can't fault him..with bases loaded the kid new he was going to get his pitch, he still had to put a swing on it...and he executed..

All Kessler had in his arsenal was his slider. His arm was spent. He hung one with the bases loaded on a 3/2 count.

IMO, Mazey had options. He went with his gut. One of his best was on the mound. He trusted him... even after he had walked two batters in the 9th.

I know there were other options, but Mazey has to weigh them. His relievers were shit this year.

Oh well... it was going to be a struggle to beat Duke twice anyways...

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least I’m not a fan of Oklahoma St golf. Those boys kicked ass all season just to get eliminated in match play semi’s. Fucking brutal...

Match play has cost us 3 natties. I'm torn on it. On one hand, its really boring for the sport when the national champion is a forgone conclusion going into the final round. On the other hand I really like it when my team is the forgone conclusion. It adds alot of excitement to the game-it was a real thriller when Texas took us down. But when you spend the whole season deciding events based on stroke play and then when it matters all the sudden it's match play-it would be like if in basketball when teams make the final four its suddenly a 3 point shooting contest.

Since the NCAA went to match play only once has the top ranked team won. That was us last year and we were just as dominant and playing on our home course. It's fun but it makes it way too random.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Match play has cost us 3 natties. I'm torn on it. On one hand, its really boring for the sport when the national champion is a forgone conclusion going into the final round. On the other hand I really like it when my team is the forgone conclusion. It adds alot of excitement to the game-it was a real thriller when Texas took us down. But when you spend the whole season deciding events based on stroke play and then when it matters all the sudden it's match play-it would be like if in basketball when teams make the final four its suddenly a 3 point shooting contest.

Since the NCAA went to match play only once has the top ranked team won. That was us last year and we were just as dominant and playing on our home course. It's fun but it makes it way too random.

Match play has brought a totally new pulse to the NC tournament. While I think match play has its place in golf, I’m not sure deciding a NC is the way to identify the best team. I don’t think it did it this year.

US Am... US Jr Am... British Am... all determine champ via match play. So... I get why the NCAA would consider and then choose this format.

I felt badly for the Pokes. Such a dominating team.... dominating run through stroke play...

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Match play has brought a totally new pulse to the NC tournament. While I think match play has its place in golf, I’m not sure deciding a NC is the way to identify the best team. I don’t think it did it this year.

US Am... US Jr Am... British Am... all determine champ via match play. So... I get why the NCAA would consider and then choose this format.

I felt badly for the Pokes. Such a dominating team.... dominating run through stroke play...

They should reward three titles. An individual and team in stroke play. Then do a match play championship with the top 8 teams. You still get the same drama but it means something to be the best. You dominate in stroke play and you are rewarded. There is an upset in stroke play and it adds to the match play championship.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should reward three titles. An individual and team in stroke play. Then do a match play championship with the top 8 teams. You still get the same drama but it means something to be the best. You dominate in stroke play and you are rewarded. There is an upset in stroke play and it adds to the match play championship.

I'd be fine with that.

Or... they should go to 36 hole match play for the finals as they do for the Am. That way the ebbs and flow of the day offset the kid who is in the zone... a kid who now has to maintain it... and the kid battling... doesn't give up hope of turning the mojo.

Would not have helped OSU this year as they fell in the semi's, but maybe we don't see a Stanford team win the NC.

There needs to be a better way.

I know casual basketball fans love the NCAA tourney because of the Cinderella story. But, what about the regular season? How many times have we ended up with a NC game with Butler playing? Too many damn times...