• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winter Meeting talks

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this should go in rosterbation, but....

‏@BNightengale
The #Braves now are packaging OF Justin Upton and 3B Kelly Johnson in trade talks with teams.

Saw this, I figure Upton is a huge long shot based on our prospects, but maybe another team gets involved and Sabean somehow pulls this off. Takes care of 3 issues IMO. 1) Starting LF in his prime 2) 3B to replace Pablo 3) Power.

Johnson is 30, not great defensively, I think I read somewhere he is near the bottom in runs saved. He had a down year offensively, 263/292/361 10HR 58RBI. Previous 2 years combined, 27HR 144RBI and .301avg. Not an ideal replacement, but one I would be willing to take if it meant Upton. He is singed to 3/23.5 deal that escalates 6/7.5/9 w/ 10 million team option 1mil buyout. Not sure if this may bring Upton's price down a bit and Atlanta is trying to shed his deal.

Upton is 27 and a free agent next year making 14.5 million this year and I'm sure everyone is aware of his abilities.

Anyone think this is something Sabean could make happen? I know Beede can't be traded, Crick, Blach, Mejia, Williamson, Blach, I don't think they get it done. I'm sure with Atlanta listening on offers for Gattis they would want Susac and I don't see Sabean dealing him, especially with Hector's concussion problems.

Alson saw reports that Houston is the team to offer 65mill to Headley and that the Giants likely won't go over 11-12 million for him. I'd do 4/40-48 for Headley. Not 5 years though.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the downside to trying to build via trade or free agency. The bidding always goes up until someone overpays. So you have to overpay. You just have to choose where and to whom.

But there are times when you have to do it in order to compete.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this should go in rosterbation, but....

‏@BNightengale
The #Braves now are packaging OF Justin Upton and 3B Kelly Johnson in trade talks with teams.

Saw this, I figure Upton is a huge long shot based on our prospects, but maybe another team gets involved and Sabean somehow pulls this off. Takes care of 3 issues IMO. 1) Starting LF in his prime 2) 3B to replace Pablo 3) Power.

Johnson is 30, not great defensively, I think I read somewhere he is near the bottom in runs saved. He had a down year offensively, 263/292/361 10HR 58RBI. Previous 2 years combined, 27HR 144RBI and .301avg. Not an ideal replacement, but one I would be willing to take if it meant Upton. He is singed to 3/23.5 deal that escalates 6/7.5/9 w/ 10 million team option 1mil buyout. Not sure if this may bring Upton's price down a bit and Atlanta is trying to shed his deal.

Upton is 27 and a free agent next year making 14.5 million this year and I'm sure everyone is aware of his abilities.

Anyone think this is something Sabean could make happen? I know Beede can't be traded, Crick, Blach, Mejia, Williamson, Blach, I don't think they get it done. I'm sure with Atlanta listening on offers for Gattis they would want Susac and I don't see Sabean dealing him, especially with Hector's concussion problems.

Alson saw reports that Houston is the team to offer 65mill to Headley and that the Giants likely won't go over 11-12 million for him. I'd do 4/40-48 for Headley. Not 5 years though.

I think you've delineated the salient points of each player, except it's CHRIS Johnson and not KELLY Johnson (Kelly is a reserve IF/OF who played with the Yanks, Sox, and Orioles last year).

We'd be getting a starting OF who projects to be a solid player (something like 122 OPS+ and 2.7 WAR) and a poor defender who projects to be a nice bench bat (108, 0.7). The thing that gives me pause is: Johnson has a fairly decent contract (he's a little overpaid, but with a decent chance to perform to it) and yet the Braves affirmatively want him gone. It's not like they're saying "if you want Justin, you have to take Uggla's contract," they're dumping a decent reserve player who has a decent contract. Now, maybe the Markakis money is pushing them over the budget so they need immediate relief, but I'd be pretty leery or taking on Johnson; they may think he's close to done.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you've delineated the salient points of each player, except it's CHRIS Johnson and not KELLY Johnson (Kelly is a reserve IF/OF who played with the Yanks, Sox, and Orioles last year).

We'd be getting a starting OF who projects to be a solid player (something like 122 OPS+ and 2.7 WAR) and a poor defender who projects to be a nice bench bat (108, 0.7). The thing that gives me pause is: Johnson has a fairly decent contract (he's a little overpaid, but with a decent chance to perform to it) and yet the Braves affirmatively want him gone. It's not like they're saying "if you want Justin, you have to take Uggla's contract," they're dumping a decent reserve player who has a decent contract. Now, maybe the Markakis money is pushing them over the budget so they need immediate relief, but I'd be pretty leery or taking on Johnson; they may think he's close to done.

I didn't even notice it said Kelly Johnson in the tweet. All that info is about Chris Johnson. I think he has a chance to bounce back, but I would only want to take that chance if it meant Upton in LF. If it was a trade just for Chris Johnson and we went with Blanco in LF I would not feel great.