• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wimbledon Predictions

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rafa won't make it to the 2nd week

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess too. He might not make it past the second round. I think the grass is going to be tough for many top players this year. Many are playing sloppy and grass is very unforgiving.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Isner can make it to the 2nd week in his 2nd straight major. I have not looked at his road to the R16 yet

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they not say the same thing pre-FO tournaments which culminated in Djokovic beating him?

This is not clay though. Quite the opposite. Noone would be shocked if he made it through, he is still Nadal. Just does not look good especially based on his draw.

I also thought the level of play has dipped earlier in the season than most years. A lot of these guys are looking worn out. They really need to do something about the schedule. I liken it to the Kentucky Derby and then the Preakness 2 weeks later. Now that the elite players are getting older, they are having more problems transitioning on such a short time period. Plan on seeing a ton of upsets.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they not say the same thing pre-FO tournaments which culminated in Djokovic beating him?

who? Only idiots. I said all along beating Nadal best of 5 at the french is damn near impossible. This is not clay.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not clay though. Quite the opposite. Noone would be shocked if he made it through, he is still Nadal. Just does not look good especially based on his draw.

I also thought the level of play has dipped earlier in the season than most years. A lot of these guys are looking worn out. They really need to do something about the schedule. I liken it to the Kentucky Derby and then the Preakness 2 weeks later. Now that the elite players are getting older, they are having more problems transitioning on such a short time period. Plan on seeing a ton of upsets.

While I will agree with you that he is the King of Clay, you can never count Nadal out. After all he won Wimbledon in 2008 and 2010. When Nadal is on, it is too presumptive to count him out. His success on clay on a comparative basis to grass belie the guys ability to rise up in a GS regardless of surface.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Djokovic's Quarter:

Haase-Simon 2nd round match
: This could be interesting, for an early round match. Haase can be a nice player. Simon will probably win, but wouldn't be surprised if this turns out a decent match.

If Djokovic plays Simon in the 3rd round, it will be boring, they're too similar but Djokovic is better. If Djokovic plays Haase, it could be more interesting due to the different styles.

Berdych-Tomic 2nd round: I still don't trust Tomic to beat a good player at a major. Berdych in 3.

Tsonga-Djokovic 4th round: This is Tsonga's best surface IMO. He has to beat Djokovic at a major one of these times. He's too good not to.

Tsonga in 3 tight sets.

Tsonga-Berdych QF: Berdych is more consistent from match to match, but I think Tsonga can play better within a match. Not much about Tsonga's year has given me confidence, but things can change.

Both are good power players. Tsonga a little better at the net and with his backhand IMO.

Tsonga in 5.

Murray's Quarter: Ferrer has played good matches against Murray in the past, but Ferrer should have beaten Murray in the past. I don't think he can beat Murray in a best of 5 right now.

Murray will win his quarter.

Federer's Quarter:

Federer - Benneteau 2nd round: FED can lose if he has trouble breaking, like he has on grass the past few years.

FED in 4.

Isner-Wawrinka 4th round: Isner should win, has the better game for the surface. I think Wawrinka will still win though, just have a feeling. Wawrinka in 5.

FED - Wawrinka QF
: Federer in 4, could be good match.

Nadal's Quarter
: Despite what's happened the past few years, still hard to pick against Nadal. He can have a day where he can't break others, but don't know who that could be.

I think he'll beat Karlovic, for example, at this point.

Tsonga-Murray SF: Again, Tsonga has to beat Murray at some point again at a major, might as well be this year. Tsonga in 3.

FED vs. Nadal SF: The usual, Nadal in 4. FED will have trouble breaking. Nadal will hit low shots on the run.

Tsonga - Nadal Finals:

Other than the 2008 AO, I've never seen a match between them and felt it was competitive.

Despite Tsonga having confidence of going through my predicted draw, I don't think he matches up well against Nadal.

Nadal in 3.

Women's Draw:

Serena's Quarter:

Serena - Sharapova QF: Serena in 2. As long as Serena can keep the errors down, and have her backhand returns, she should win.

Halep's Quarter:

Jankovic-Ivanovic 4th round: A rematch of the great 2008 FO SF. I like Jankovic a little more on grass, but like Ivanovic more as a player, a little more offense.

Ivanovic in 2, at least one tight set.

Not sure who Ivanovic will face in the QFs, could be a few choices. If she plays Halep, hmm. I guess I'll go with Halep, not sure if her game is good on grass.

Radwanska's Quarter:

Azarenka - Cibulkova 4th round: Cibulkova's flatter shots might give her some advantage, but Azarenka is a better all around player.

Azarenka in 2.

Azarenka - Radwanska 4th round: Azarenka should win, but might be taken to a surprise 3rd set. Azarenka in 3.

Li's Quarter:

Venus - Kvitova 3rd round: I hope Venus can win. I'll pick her because I'm rooting for her. Venus in 3.

I'm not sure who will come out of this quarter, but I'll pick Li.

Serena - Halep SF
: If Halep makes it this far, I'll pick her. I think she will have proven she can play well on grass.

Then again, there's the Serena serve.

Ok, nevermind, Serena in 3.

Azarenka - Li SF: Azarenka's the better player, but Li is a little better on this surface IMO. Tough one. Azarenka in 2.

Serena - Azarenka Finals: This won't be a good match because it's on grass, Azarenka probably needs a slower surface.

Plus I rarely see her ahead in these matches with Serena, she's usually playing from behind.

Serena in 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tsonga to the finals? That is BOLD!!!

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering he could actually get beat in round 1. Still he is a very likeable guy and I will be rooting for him.

Not sure Vika goes anywhere either. Lost to Giorgi in her last match. She has not played enough yet to contend at a major IMO. Serena is the only one that could pull that off. Still sometimes there are so many upsets at Wimby you can go the whole tourney without facing a top 10 player.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a prediction, but I'd quite like Bouchard to do well in the women's. There's no British hope, so I'll support her, mostly because she's BFFs with Laura Robson, who's not there because she's injured.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a prediction, but I'd quite like Bouchard to do well in the women's. There's no British hope, so I'll support her, mostly because she's BFFs with Laura Robson, who's not there because she's injured.

Oh, thanks. :(

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering he could actually get beat in round 1. Still he is a very likeable guy and I will be rooting for him.

Wow, I didn't notice he played Melzer in the 1st round. Could be a tough one.

Anyways, I think Tsonga has the game to do well here, and usually gives a good box score effort. Other than his recent GS matches against Djokovic at the FO and Federer at the AO, but the AO one was more about FED playing his best IMO.

But, if he gets to the Finals and gets crushed by Nadal or whomever, it's not really progress. Players like him have to do what Wawrinka did, and actually beat the top players at a major once in a while.

Like Tsonga did against Federer in 2011 and 2013.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most of the times, my draw gets busted.

The only two times in recent years I've done decently was in 2009 Wimbledon when I had Haas to the SF, losing to FED, as what happened, and also Roddick beating Murray (again, pre-tourney), but in 5 sets.

I think I had one other good tourney afterwards, in terms of predictions.

Other times, I might pick someone to win before they're ready, like when I had Azarenka winning the 2010 USO.

That was the year Azarenka retired due to heat.