• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the VP of Carnage get as much cred' as Ray?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ray Lewis is one of the best LBs to ever play the game (LT was the greatest IMO). When that Ravens' defense had that '00 season, Lewis gained legendary status in the media.

Now, the best defense in the NFL is the 49ers'. They're not the '00 Ravens on defense, but my question is this: Is Patrick Willis as good as Ray Lewis was in his prime?

When the Niners beat the Ravens like a drum on Sunday, will the VP get the same amount of credit Ray did 10 years ago? My guess would be no. But does he deserve it?

Willis is easily the most dominant ILB / MLB since the '00 version of Ray. He's been an all-pro' every season he's been in the NFL. He doesn't have a single weakness in his game. He's pretty much the perfect ILB (although he plays in a 3-4, which means he's not going to get as many tackles as if he played in a 4-3; but he'd be an even better MLB IMO). I'm not saying he's BETTER than Ray, but I don't see any reason he shouldn't get the same amount of credit.

[YOUTUBE]jV-IqEmmNu0[/YOUTUBE]

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Expect to see plenty of this with a different outcome on Sunday ('cause Alex won't be playing):

[YOUTUBE]75AhbIRVAQE&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Sunday we might have two guys that were as good as Ray Lewis in his prime.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bowman is good, but willis is on a different level

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bowman is good, but willis is on a different level

Yes - arguably a level below Bowman - I would say they are as close to equal as you can get with perhaps the only real difference being that Willis is the media darling between the two.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowman is great. There is a reason Willis came off the field and Bowman stayed on. I am THE biggest Patrick Willis fan but I must admit with no bias that if Bowman stays on his current path he will be at the same level as Patrick. There is slight differences in the two that offset causing their impact to be similar imo. Patrick is more physical but Bowman is better in coverage.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bowman is better in pass coverage, but willis is a beast at ilb and overal better.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bowman is better in pass coverage, but willis is a beast at ilb and overal better.

I'm sticking with equal to Bowman being better - there is much more that goes into playing ILB than coverage and "beasting" as you call it. I think like most fans you are getting caught-up in the hype instead of watching the film.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have definitely been impressed with Bowman's improvement in coverage, and there are few better tacklers on the team (maybe none). However, I think P-Willy has the edge in pass coverage, lateral movement, blitzing and football IQ. Navarro is plenty football smart, and one of the best run-stopping ILBs in the league, but as far as overall linebacker play, Willis still takes it.

In five years, he will be remembered as being better than Ray Lewis.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sticking with equal to Bowman being better - there is much more that goes into playing ILB than coverage and "beasting" as you call it. I think like most fans you are getting caught-up in the hype instead of watching the film.

imo willis is a much more consistent tackler and playmaker.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo willis is a much more consistent tackler and playmaker.

That work's - Although now you have me curious if Pozz has missed tackle stats for Bowman & Willis.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ray Lewis is one of the best LBs to ever play the game (LT was the greatest IMO). When that Ravens' defense had that '00 season, Lewis gained legendary status in the media.

Now, the best defense in the NFL is the 49ers'. They're not the '00 Ravens on defense, but my question is this: Is Patrick Willis as good as Ray Lewis was in his prime?

When the Niners beat the Ravens like a drum on Sunday, will the VP get the same amount of credit Ray did 10 years ago? My guess would be no. But does he deserve it?

Willis is easily the most dominant ILB / MLB since the '00 version of Ray. He's been an all-pro' every season he's been in the NFL. He doesn't have a single weakness in his game. He's pretty much the perfect ILB (although he plays in a 3-4, which means he's not going to get as many tackles as if he played in a 4-3; but he'd be an even better MLB IMO). I'm not saying he's BETTER than Ray, but I don't see any reason he shouldn't get the same amount of credit.

[YOUTUBE]jV-IqEmmNu0[/YOUTUBE]

even after Willis had a good game, he will not get the same credit as Lewis (in '00). will he deserve it? yes if he plays as well as Lewis did back then. will he get it? no.

as you mentioned above, it has a LOT to do with 'legendary status in the MEDIA'.

can't tell if Bowman is better than Willis, just glad both are VERY good, both tackle well, and both will be 49ers beyond next season.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ray Lewis is self-promoting and has great media presence, a patented warrior dance, and is a good public speaker.

Willis and Bowman are just as talented as Lewis IMHO but they are both very low key guys, quite the opposite from Ray Ray.

That presence for Ray goes a long way to boost his overall value.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having two pro bowl caliber ilb's means neither guy is really gonna stand out like lewis did.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ray Lewis is self-promoting and has great media presence, a patented warrior dance, and is a good public speaker.

This is the biggest difference. Willis can play on a hall-of-fame level, and be recognized as such, but he'll never be the sensation Ray is because the media won't play him up as much.

Even Singletary was more of a media darling, with his eyes and entertaining jabber on-field. Willis might be more comparable to Swilling or something, who played at an HOF level for years but never the most popular or watched player in the league....though a Super Bowl will raise Willis's profile for sure.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking about this Willis v. Bowman comparison, I have the impression that Bowman's had the better year. I can't say I've watched all the game film and analyzed it, but I just seem to remember Bowman making more plays. Bowman really squares up and drives the ball carrier back instead of allowing him to gain that extra yard or two falling forward. I think Bowman is better at that than Willis. Also, as someone already stated, Bowman is better at coverage.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even after Willis had a good game, he will not get the same credit as Lewis (in '00). will he deserve it? yes if he plays as well as Lewis did back then. will he get it? no.

as you mentioned above, it has a LOT to do with 'legendary status in the MEDIA'.

can't tell if Bowman is better than Willis, just glad both are VERY good, both tackle well, and both will be 49ers beyond next season.

I feel that pregame, people would give all the credit to the defense for why they predict a win or a close game, not the offense, even with Kaep. But after the game, they give the credit to the offense, even when the defense plays great or greater. I don't see this Super Bowl being any different.