• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Smith?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SportsNOLA.com considers OLB Will Smith on the roster bubble.

Smith took a $6 million pay cut this offseason, but is still due a $3 million base salary in 2013 and will be asked to convert to outside linebacker in DC Rob Ryan's 3-4 scheme. He remains a strong candidate for release if one of Junior Galette or Martez Wilson can overtake him for a starting job in training camp.

If he came at a prove it discount. Would he be worth picking up on the DL, if the Saints release him?
I know he has been a good 4-3 DE (not a 3-4 LB)

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Saints are cutting D players then theres an issue.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Saints are cutting D players then theres an issue.
the issue is Rob Ryan.
they are switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 & making Will Smith a DE into a OLB. Which is why he took a paycut. He played well as a DE. My concern on the Cowboy side is simply Salary Cap. but if we thought he had a few years left (think he is 31) he would be nice depth & a bridge for a new guy since Spencer will not be here next year.

Havent really put a lot of thought into this just saw this on the net & thought, wonder what others thought?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If W. Smith is released I'd have no complaints if Dallas brought him in. Although, due to our cap situation, I think he'd get more $$ elsewhere.

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If W. Smith is released I'd have no complaints if Dallas brought him in. Although, due to our cap situation, I think he'd get more $$ elsewhere.

Yep, Will Smith is a good football player and could make more money to start this year elsewhere than to be a backup here. However, I could see him sign a 3 year deal here for less money in the first year and the understanding he will start next year when Spencer is gone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no, no, no....Crawford and Wilber are the future. Don't bring in Smith, we need to lock up our young players and build through the draft bottom line.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no, no, no....Crawford and Wilber are the future. Don't bring in Smith, we need to lock up our young players and build through the draft bottom line.
I'm all for building through the draft, but if ya haven't noticed. the DL was completety ignored in the draft.
To be honest I am not even sure where all our DL is suppose to be on the DL. Concern is depth when you use a rotational style DL.
So who is Spencers & Wares back ups on DEs? Since Will is a DE.

Although my real concern is the DTs.
I wanted in the draft a Center, guard & a DT, but in the draft MK said they didn't need DL, which made me realize I don't know crap about football, because I felt we really needed a DT!

Well we got a center & .......... well we got a center :scratch:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for building through the draft, but if ya haven't noticed. the DL was completety ignored in the draft.
To be honest I am not even sure where all our DL is suppose to be on the DL. Concern is depth when you use a rotational style DL.
So who is Spencers & Wares back ups on DEs? Since Will is a DE.

Although my real concern is the DTs.
I wanted in the draft a Center, guard & a DT, but in the draft MK said they didn't need DL, which made me realize I don't know crap about football, because I felt we really needed a DT!

Well we got a center & .......... well we got a center :scratch:

The DLine is far better off than most realize.

You have your future in Crawford at SDE behind Spencer, Wilber will more than likely be backup to Ware at WDE, you have Bass and Lissy for the backups at the 1 and 3 tech. We will address the dline next draft. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem signing a vet or even Will Smith as long as it is to a one year deal; however I'd rather take as much cap space into next season to go against the high cap number we will have going into 2014. The cap leftover from this year can be used again next season.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope your right about the DL.
I just don't instantly buy into the rah rah crap we read this time of year about every back up on the team we have. I am not even sold on the starters on our DL. Even if none get injured how effective will they be late in the year?
& hearing how they talk about just about all our DL playing all the different spots on the DL bothers me. Sure it is nice to have a lil flexibility, but rather have some studs that own a position, vs, their worth being capable of playing in more than one spot. Instead of hey look mom I can play DE & DT, I would rather have look mom I crush it at DE (or DT)
So again I hope your right, because the line (both sides) scare me.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DLine is far better off than most realize.

I'd rather take as much cap space into next season to go against the high cap number we will have going into 2014. The cap leftover from this year can be used again next season.
Does the rollover rule last for the life of the current CBA or is it just a two year clause to help teams who were over the cap?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Smith would be a nice guy to add to the rotation. I also like the fact that Will Smith is somewhat dirty. I do like some of the younger guys we have. What about Kyle Wilbur? Tyrone Crawford? I think they possibly could have a mean streak.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Nets 100%

Hell No

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the rollover rule last for the life of the current CBA or is it just a two year clause to help teams who were over the cap?

I do not know to be honest, I have heard it was originally a one year deal, then heard it was for as long as CBA exist. I will go with the last due to the fact I have heard it from multiple people.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not know to be honest, I have heard it was originally a one year deal, then heard it was for as long as CBA exist. I will go with the last due to the fact I have heard it from multiple people.

When it was first introduced I thought it was good for two years but as I read about today it sounds like it's for the life of the CBA. All I know is there's too many rules for me to completely grasp the NFL salary cap and I think I have it down better than a lot of fans here. However I will always go with yours and twist's thought on the cap before mine.

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suddenly, Smith went from looking pretty good to real good

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it was first introduced I thought it was good for two years but as I read about today it sounds like it's for the life of the CBA. All I know is there's too many rules for me to completely grasp the NFL salary cap and I think I have it down better than a lot of fans here. However I will always go with yours and twist's thought on the cap before mine.

To be honest bro I think it was originally suppose to only be for the first year and somewhere along the way before the cba was finalized they changed it to the life of it. Do not quote me on this as of yet, because I have only heard this and not fully researched it myself. I promise though I'll get on it and come back with a sure fire answer soon.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suddenly, Smith went from looking pretty good to real good

Not at all to me still. I think the only way I would take him is on a one year deal at 1MM or less which won't happen.

1.) I'd rather carry over the extra cap space to nexy year.
2.) I'd rather lock up Lee before the 2014 season.
3.) Odds are he won't be a starter so with that being said I'd rather take a chance on a younger guy who is cut during camp that may have a future.

Just my thoughts, I figure Will Smith won't make or break our chances of winning the Super Bowl so why spend the money when it may be used else where.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all to me still. I think the only way I would take him is on a one year deal at 1MM or less which won't happen.

1.) I'd rather carry over the extra cap space to nexy year.
2.) I'd rather lock up Lee before the 2014 season.
3.) Odds are he won't be a starter so with that being said I'd rather take a chance on a younger guy who is cut during camp that may have a future.

Just my thoughts, I figure Will Smith won't make or break our chances of winning the Super Bowl so why spend the money when it may be used else where.
Will Smith might be better than Spencer at DE & we are paying a kings ransom to avoid just using someone off the Street & letting Spencer go. Not sure what direction Jerry will go, but he usually doesn't use the mindset of we will just wait til next year. (which is why we overpay for players)

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main reason I think Smith could be a decent move(at a low price) is that I don't think we can afford Spencer next year. I thought Crawford would start next year, but that is one tough injury to come back from. It seems like Ware has been battling injuries the last couple of years, so I'm worried about our depth. That said, with the limited amount of money we have, Brandon Moore would still be my guy if we added someone

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Smith just became an serious option with the injury to Crawford.