• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

why do we keep using 2 wr?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It does if they decide they can't stop the run with a CB and then use a SS or LB on him. The goal is improving the offense, not just the passing game. If the run game is working and a team adjusts its personnel to better defend the run, it will (or should) create mismatches in the passing game. If we go 2-WR and 2-TE, I don't think too many teams would use a third CB except on obvious passing downs, and if they did, they'd put that third CB on Davis before McDonald.

Maybe I misread the original premise of this thread but the idea of putting McDonald or Davis in place of the other WR opposite Boldin shows focus on the passing game... The implication is that the passing game would be better if McDonald or Davis play WR and be running routes together with Boldin instead on another WR... So I fail to see the relevancy of bringing up the run game... Maybe it's just me

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What has McDonald shown this season to establish himself as a good TE?

Here's how I look at McDonald: he's a #2 TE in a run-heavy offense who has been spectacular at blocking IMO. It would be pretty hard to point to a stat that would "establish" any #2 TE in the league as a "good" TE. Delanie Walker only put up 344 receiving yards last season, but I think everyone (including the Titans) agreed he was a "good" TE. Not a great one...

Vance doesn't have the receiving yards of Tyler Eifert, but I'd be curious to see how many snaps he's played compared to Eifert, And Eifert was a rare receiving threat IMO; Vance was always looked at more of a "dirty work" kind of guy IMO. But I've seen Kaepernick completely ignore an open Vance McDonald a couple of times this season, and Vance has shown the quickness to be able to get open against LBs pretty well IMO.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's how I look at McDonald: he's a #2 TE in a run-heavy offense who has been spectacular at blocking IMO. It would be pretty hard to point to a stat that would "establish" any #2 TE in the league as a "good" TE. Delanie Walker only put up 344 receiving yards last season, but I think everyone (including the Titans) agreed he was a "good" TE. Not a great one...

Vance doesn't have the receiving yards of Tyler Eifert, but I'd be curious to see how many snaps he's played compared to Eifert, And Eifert was a rare receiving threat IMO; Vance was always looked at more of a "dirty work" kind of guy IMO. But I've seen Kaepernick completely ignore an open Vance McDonald a couple of times this season, and Vance has shown the quickness to be able to get open against LBs pretty well IMO.

Total snaps
McDonald - 238
Eifert - 308

Passing route snaps

McDonald - 92
Eifert - 146

Run block snaps

McDonald - 132
Eifert - 136

Pass block snaps

McDonald - 14
Eifert - 26

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Total snaps
McDonald - 238
Eifert - 308

Passing route snaps

McDonald - 92
Eifert - 146

Run block snaps

McDonald - 132
Eifert - 136

Pass block snaps

McDonald - 14
Eifert - 26

Also, McDonald has played in 52.4% of his team's offensive snaps while Eifert has played in 63.4% of his team's offensive snaps.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Thanks as always to Pozz our resident football wizard.

oiqo.jpg

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe I misread the original premise of this thread but the idea of putting McDonald or Davis in place of the other WR opposite Boldin shows focus on the passing game... The implication is that the passing game would be better if McDonald or Davis play WR and be running routes together with Boldin instead on another WR... So I fail to see the relevancy of bringing up the run game... Maybe it's just me

You can't divorce the two when talking about formations. We call both a pass and a run on almost every play. Which play we run depends in large part upon what the defense does.

Regardless, I struggle to see a scenario in which our second TE would draw a CB, at least on a regular basis. Either we go heavy, with two TEs, one WR, and a FB - in which case a team would have two CBs on the field at most, and would almost certainly use them to cover the WR and Davis, or we go with two WRs and two TEs - in which case an opponent might use three CBs, but would again cover the WRs and Davis. And even if McDonald did draw a CB, at 6'4", 267 pounds, with a 33 1/2" vertical and 34 3/8" arms, we would be wise to just throw him a jump ball and let him box the smaller player out.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, not many TEs can lose CBs in coverage. Hell, Aqib Talib effectively shut down Jimmy Graham.

I think McDonald has looked promising thus far, I just wish we'd get him more involved. On that note, I think there's a real chicken vs. egg question with our receivers. Outside of Boldin and Davis, they haven't been good, but Kap also hasn't thrown to them very much. I think the talent at the other receiving spots is better than the stat line reflects, though it's still pretty bad.

they dont seem to be getting open consistently. we need to give kap the best options we have