• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the best team in 1997/Nebraska or Michigan/Discuss

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan 27 Colorado 3
Nebraska 27 Colorado 24

How did Michigan 44th ranked offense put up the same amount of points against our one common opponent as Nebraska's 1st ranked offense?

I know why UM's 1st ranked defense only gave up 3 points, while Nebraska 5th ranked D gave up 24.
Rivalry game. Duh...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan 27 Colorado 3
Nebraska 27 Colorado 24

How did Michigan 44th ranked offense put up the same amount of points against our one common opponent as Nebraska's 1st ranked offense?

I know why UM's 1st ranked defense only gave up 3 points, while Nebraska 5th ranked D gave up 24.

Northwestern 16 Stanford 6
Iowa 40 Northwestern 10

Clearly Iowa is going to absolutely murder Stanf...oh wait.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you go

Watch the clock at 3 seconds with the referees signaling clock stop. Somehow for three seconds the clock has 3 seconds on it, but then inexplicably, one second ticks off.

Then there is the spike.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the offense that put up the same points against our 1 common opponent?

Two common opponents.

Michigan beat Baylor in Ann Arbor
Michigan beat Colorado in Ann Arbor

Nebraska beat Colorado in Boulder
Nebraska beat Baylor in Waco.

Iowa was leading Michigan after three quarters in Ann Arbor, imagine if that game was played in Iowa City.
Michigan beat Ohio State in Ann Arbor, imagine if that game was played in Columbus.

The fact remains, Nebraska trounced 2 of the final top ten ranked teams in both polls, Michigan barely beat one of the final top ten teams in both polls.

Nebraska beat five of the final ranked teams in both polls, Michigan beat 3 of them in both polls. Nebraska trounced four of the final top 25 ranked teams. 180 points to 72 points.

Michigan did trounce Penn State, but then so did FLORIDA and Michigan State.

Last edited:

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two common opponents.

Michigan beat Baylor in Ann Arbor
Michigan beat Colorado in Ann Arbor

Nebraska beat Colorado in Boulder
Nebraska beat Baylor in Waco.

Iowa was leading Michigan after three quarters in Ann Arbor, imagine if that game was played in Iowa City.
Michigan beat Ohio State in Ann Arbor, imagine if that game was played in Columbus.

The fact remains, Nebraska trounced 2 of the final top ten ranked teams in both polls, Michigan barely beat one of the final top ten teams in both polls.

Nebraska beat five of the final ranked teams in both polls, Michigan beat 3 of them in both polls. Nebraska trounced four of the final top 25 ranked teams. 180 points to 72 points.

Michigan did trounce Penn State, but then so did FLORIDA and Michigan State.
Each game against Baylor was a 28 point win. But as you mentioned, one was at home, one was on the road...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each game against Baylor was a 28 point win. But as you mentioned, one was at home, one was on the road...
Yeah, except Michigan beat Baylor 38-3 which isnt 28 points and Michigan beat Colorado by 24 while Nebraska beat Colorado by 3.

Notice a trend here? Baylor and Colorado scored exactly 1 Field goal a piece on UM. Baylor and Colorado scored 21 and 24 on Nebraska.

Average score of common opponent games:
UM 32.5 - 3
Nebraska 38 - 22.5

It may just be me, but UM's 29.5 point differential in common opponent games is slightly more impressive than Nebraska's 15.5. Some would say 2 td's per game better. :)

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each teams final ranked teams and what final ranked teams did they beat

Michigan three final ranked opponents total five wins against the final ranked teams
#9 Washington State beat Washington and Arizona State. Washington State almost beats Michigan in the Rose Bowl
#12 Ohio State only beat Missouri. Ohio State loses by 17 in their bowl game.
#17 Penn State beat Ohio State and Purdue. Penn State blown out in the bowl game.

Michigan's final ranked opponents had a total of FIVE WINS against final ranked teams.

Michigan's final ranked opponents go 0-3 in bowl games.

Nebraska opponents
#7 Kansas State beats Missouri, Texas A&M, and Syracuse(K State wins bowl game 35-18 over Syracuse)
#8 Tennesee beats Georgia, Auburn, and Southern Miss. (Gets blown out by Nebraska in bowl game)
#18 Washington beats Arizona State (Washington blows out Michigan State 51-23 in bowl game)
#21 Texas A&M beats Oklahoma State
#23 Missouri beats Oklahoma State

Nebraska's final ranked opponents had a total of NINE WINS against final ranked teams.

Nebraska's final ranked opponents go 2-3 in bowl games.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, except Michigan beat Baylor 38-3 which isnt 28 points and Michigan beat Colorado by 24 while Nebraska beat Colorado by 3.

Notice a trend here? Baylor and Colorado scored exactly 1 Field goal a piece on UM. Baylor and Colorado scored 21 and 24 on Nebraska.

UM 32.5 - 3
Nebraska 38 - 22.5

It may just be me, but UM's 29.5 point differential in common opponent games is slightly more impressive than Nebraska's 15.5. Some would say 2 td's per game better. :)

Here is the difference,

Michigan played great against BAD teams,

Nebraska played great against GOOD teams.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the difference,

Michigan played great against BAD teams,

Nebraska played great against GOOD teams.

Oh. So Nebraska wasn't trying when they played the two common opponents as UM? I didn't realize that.

I'm sure it was an accident it was "leaked" Osborne was retiring at the end of the year and the Nebraska players were only kidding when they were begging for votes.

Defense wins championships.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you go

Watch the clock at 3 seconds with the referees signaling clock stop. Somehow for three seconds the clock has 3 seconds on it, but then inexplicably, one second ticks off.

Then there is the spike.
Probably should have had another play. But it's very unlikely that they're getting a 25+ yard play. Not impossible, but seriously unlikely. Lots of crap like that used to happen prior to replay. Especially relating to the clock.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that one time when we were able to conclusively decide the outcome between two teams that cannot ever face each other?

giphy.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that one time when we were able to conclusively decide the outcome between two teams that cannot ever face each other?

View attachment 104822
The thread is named who was the best team. I'd guess common opponents would be the only way to compare the two teams as it is the only time the teams played the same opponent.

If UM beat Baylor by 31 and Nebraska beat Baylor by 28. Edge UM.

If UM beat Colorado by 24 and Nebraska beat Colorado by 3. Edge UM.

If one team didn't have to "leak" info about their coach retiring to gain sympathy votes. Edge UM

Defense wins championships. Edge UM. :suds:

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UM 32.5 - 3
Nebraska 38 - 22.5

Yep. My bad on that.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thread is named who was the best team. I'd guess common opponents would be the only way to compare the two teams as it is the only time the teams played the same opponent.

If UM beat Baylor by 31 and Nebraska beat Baylor by 28. Edge UM.

If UM beat Colorado by 24 and Nebraska beat Colorado by 3. Edge UM.

If one team didn't have to "leak" info about their coach retiring to gain sympathy votes. Edge UM

Defense wins championships. Edge UM. :suds:
Funny. I would say the better team is the one at the end of the season with the better team i.e. better defense combined with a better offense.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny. I would say the better team is the one at the end of the season with the better team i.e. better defense combined with a better offense.

Yeah. Why would common opponents matter when comparing teams? Let's talk about how they did against teams only one of them played? :L