• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whats worse? Not being a smart person, or being smart and choosing to act dumb

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only bring this up because of the Kaepernick talk about him wearing the Dolphins hat and his twitter comments afterwards. In the closed thread there was a lot of talk about how the guy is straight up dumb. But others chimed in and retorted that Kaepernick is actually, by all accounts, a very smart and articulate person.

This begs the question, would it be worse for someone to simply be dumb, or to just act like it because that is the norm in your 400 shoe, hat-for-every-day-of-the-month culture?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For what it's worth, Kaep had close to a 4.0 GPA in school, and he's never caused any kind of problem for any of his coaches or teammates...

I honestly couldn't care less of the guy walked around with an official Dolphins' helmet in the offseason. It's a little weird, but the Niners don't even play the Dolphins this season. That is unless the Dolphins make it to the Super Bowl. :)

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too much ado over a cap in the off season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give a flying phuck if Kaepernick wears a Dolphins hat, 49ers hat, Seahawks hat or if he's mentally retarded. I don't know why you people care so much about what Kaepernick wears/does/tattoos on his body in his free time. It's just not relevant to what goes on in the game.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...This begs the question, would it be worse for someone to simply be dumb, or to just act like it because that is the norm in your 400 shoe, hat-for-every-day-of-the-month culture?

I see more than one question there.

I believe consideration, not intelligence, is the crux here. IMO the dude is intelligent enough to know what he was doing. As is obvious by his twitter response, he just doesn't give a fuck.

Was the dude thinking about (considering) the ramifications of his actions?, No. Simple conclusion for me is that he is merely inconsiderate. Boo hoo, no crime. However allow us to consider...

Let him continue in this vein. Hell let it proliferate. Think how will this affect the fan-base/organization relationship, the locker room, team morale or whatever. The quarterback/franchise figurehead is apparently not a team player? That is significant, humans get butt-hurt and that shifts focus. Let them work towards implosion.

Not to mention the more resource they need to devote to damage control the less they can devote to game preparation.

Jus' sayin'.

Go Hawks.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick isn't dumb any more than Sherman is. They both do things out of the ordinary and both bring bad light to their team.

What Kaepernick is is immature. He hasn't yet figured out he is the franchise QB of a storied NFL team and should conduct himself as such. This isn't college anymore. There are guys like him in all major sports. Brilliant on the field/court/pitch, but wild off it. There are even a few QB's who aren't the typical stoic leaders and some have done well. The 9'er fans will tell you they like having an unconventional QB and hawk fans will insist their classy and more classic leader is more their style.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the franchise quarterback of a really good pro football team. As such, his words and actions get magnified and the most benign thing will get dissected until the next thing to talk about comes along. He probably didn't think anything of it when he put the hat on and went out, but the wearing of the hat wasn't even the biggest problem with this whole thing, even though he should have been aware of how that would come across too.

As the public face of the franchise, he has to be more aware of how his words, actions and decisions will be viewed and how they'll reflect on not just him, but the franchise that he works for. His reaction to the reaction of his wearing a Dolphins hat was the bigger issue here, in my opinion. Instead of shrugging it off as if people were crazy for making it into an issue, he should have realized how it might have looked to some people, including potentially his bosses, and not been so dismissive of the reaction. That, to me, is where he really erred.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should have shrugged it off as stupid, not posted about it. Beyond that this is stupid, though.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it's stupid everyone is going ape shit over it but I liken it to the spokesperson for McDonald's wearing Wendy's hats in public.

He is biting the hand that feeds him and I'd imagine privately the owners don't appreciate him projecting himself out there like this. Perhaps he is being defiant, it's his way of acting out. Fashion.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if he was wearing this cap....

998027_574234355960943_1190920370_n.jpg

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that Kaep is a bright guy... but clearly, his move of wearing a Dolphin cap, and then his reply to it showed a great deal of immaturity.

I'm sure that Harbaugh lit him up... especially since Harbaugh has a history of not liking that sort of thing. What Kaep did was wrong, plain and simple. I don't think he is a stupid guy, but he clearly, clearly did not make the right call on this item.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
being the leader or supposed leader of a powerhouse NFL team he should have respected the fans of his team. I couldn't care less and think its all just to funny but he disrespected the 49er fan base by his comments and that was immature. Is Kaep dumb? no, ignorant yes but i wouldn't call him dumb.

What makes this even more funny is Harbaugh's history about "other teams colors" now that's what makes this fun. I want to be a fly on the wall in that meeting between Harbaugh and Kaep. Also the 49er fans acting like its no big deal but its the 49er fans that raised such a stink about it in the first place.

Would ii be upset if Russell Wilson was wearing a NY Giants hat? Nope because i know Russell Wilson is not that ignorant. He would never EVER do such a thing. He has to much respect for the 12th man.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would say it's more a naivety of the position he's in than just plain immaturity.

He went from nobody really caring what he did or who he was to practically overnight to being criticized for having tattoos, talk about his birth mom, and now a hat. He's never been a guy that's had to deal with being a high profile nor do I think he really wants to be a high profile kind of guy.

For me I could care less about the cap. He represents the 49ers so he shouldn't have worn it but it's not a big deal. I don't question his heart and desire to be a 49er and play at a high level and if that's the worst thing he does I'll take it. Learn from it and move on.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as a big deal goes it really isn't a big deal however, there is either a HUGE bit of immaturity, defiance and/or lack of common sense shown by this act.

The NFL is a fan base entity. Doing anything that would even slightly offend your fan base is a poor decision.

Look, he truly did nothing wrong....however people who work at Target are smart enough not to show up at work wearing Walmart logos and they don't have millions of eyes watching them every Sunday.

Big deal, no...

Stupid (for what ever reason), yes.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Hello Cakes

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howdy Screamin...

I think we are all going to hang out on these boards now ! :)

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Look, he truly did nothing wrong....however people who work at Target are smart enough not to show up at work wearing Walmart logos and they don't have millions of eyes watching them every Sunday."

Because Kaepernick showed up to the Niners facility in Dolphins gear? Do you think a Target employee gives a crap about wearing a Walmart hat to a 4th of July Beach Party?

My one other remark about the OP's comment. People use slang and abbreviated terms on twitter all the time. Its part of what twitter is, its short hand. Anyone who is expecting english correct and grammatically accurate descriptions on Twitter is missing the entire point of twitter. I don't particularly care for twitter, but the way kaep was communicating on twitter is very normal for the "twitter" crowd.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last thing on intelligence....

Kaepernick Wonderlic Score: 38 :yahoo:

Wilson Wonderlic Score: 28 :L (or as Richard Sherman would say..... :clap: )

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again.... I don't think anybody said Kaepernick was Stupid.

Smart people do stupid things...

It doesn't matter if Kaepernick's Wonderlic score was a perfect 50.

What he DID, was stupid... plain and simple, and he the fact that his Wonderlic score was so high actually is damning to him, more than it helps.

Kaepernick shouldn't OWN a Dolphins cap, much less wear one in public. Not in his line of work.

He will learn.. but what he did was most assuredly stupid.