• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's up with Harbaugh?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The difference between Harbs and past HCs is the attention to detail. I think you're seeing what happens when you play smart with a talented team.

i wish someone would explain the details one day? cause every HC and OC has tried to minimize Alex Smith, what's different now?

the formations are more varied but we still lean run (like that its good now). we did throw downfield today, but in general, our offense isn't 'vertical'? so passing routes look similar too.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wish someone would explain the details one day? cause every HC and OC has tried to minimize Alex Smith, what's different now?

the formations are more varied but we still lean run (like that its good now). we did throw downfield today, but in general, our offense isn't 'vertical'? so passing routes look similar too.

The details are things like knowing the snap count, knowing who to block, knowing game situations etc. It makes your team a lot more disciplined. You can tell the difference between this year's team and last year's is night and day. We're much more disciplined, limiting our mistakes, and taking advantage of our opponent's. Yesterday. Perfect example. Browns fumble on their first drive and we get 7 points out of it. Browns kept it close but we didn't turn the ball over once. Probably the difference in the game. This year so far we are +10 in turnover ratio. Last year we were -1. Tells you everything you need to know.

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not a coach, nor do I break down game film, but I see much more creativity in the playcalling that is making a huge difference. Examples:

Two weeks ago: motion the h-back. Take advantage of Suh's aggressiveness and trap him and quick hit up the middle. Niner's ran the play twice and nailed them for long runs each time.

This on the goaline: Run the power but send the full back to the other side.... freezes the middle linebacker for a split second and Gore walks in.

Designed roll out run by Smith... easy first down.

Harbaugh is getting much more production from the run game, using motion, trapping, misdirection than Sing got with exactly the same players. Sing's plow forward "hit em in the mouf" run game may have worked in 1950, but not now.

Time management and turnovers have also been dramatically improved.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has changed?
The run game and the defense.

People forget how Alex played the final 7 games last season.
Check out the totals:
1450 yds 11 TDs 3 INTs
One stinker game

First 7 games this season:
1267 yds 9 TDs 2 INTs
One stinker game

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbs is getting way too much credit for turning around Alex Smith. Smith turned himself around last season. Harbs contributions have been elsewhere. Just look at the run game and play calling. Fangio gets my cred for the D with some help from Baalke for upgrading Lawson, Clements, etc.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This guy goes to SDSU and completely turns that progam around. Goes to Stanford after a 1-11 season and turns them around in only two years. And now the 49ers are 6-1, with their first 5 game winning streak in a decade.

Is he the real deal?

He is the real deal, but he was at USD clyde. SDSU is division 1 and plays in the mountain west. Not huge difference, but just wanted to point it out.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not a coach, nor do I break down game film, but I see much more creativity in the playcalling that is making a huge difference. Examples:

Two weeks ago: motion the h-back. Take advantage of Suh's aggressiveness and trap him and quick hit up the middle. Niner's ran the play twice and nailed them for long runs each time.This on the goaline: Run the power but send the full back to the other side.... freezes the middle linebacker for a split second and Gore walks in.

Designed roll out run by Smith... easy first down.

Harbaugh is getting much more production from the run game, using motion, trapping, misdirection than Sing got with exactly the same players. Sing's plow forward "hit em in the mouf" run game may have worked in 1950, but not now.

Time management and turnovers have also been dramatically improved.

I noticed that the Eagles picked up on that play and did it twice last night with Celek doing the wham block on Ware. Worked very well for them too.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that the Eagles picked up on that play and did it twice last night with Celek doing the wham block on Ware. Worked very well for them too.

The Lions started using it themselves the week after the 49ers beat them. Of course Atlanta tried to use it on the Lions too in that same game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
was referring to what has changed for Alex Smith the QB? every OC tried to minimize his impact same as now, but why is it not only working, but working well?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was referring to what has changed for Alex Smith the QB? every OC tried to minimize his impact same as now, but why is it not only working, but working well?

I guess you didn't read my post.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I give Harbaugh a lot of credit but I think you also have to give credit to the entire coaching staff for our teams success. Some of the coaches he's brought in are considered some of the best when it comes to coaching.

Also you have to credit Baalke for what he's done so far in improving the talent on the roster. A lot of people think we have the same team we did last year which is just mainly true on offense but that's not the case on defense. Bowman is scary paired with Willis, Aldon is legit when it comes to rushing the passer, Rodgers and Culliver have been great in the secondary so this is a more talented and complete defense than it was last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I give Harbaugh a lot of credit but I think you also have to give credit to the entire coaching staff for our teams success. Some of the coaches he's brought in are considered some of the best when it comes to coaching.

Also you have to credit Baalke for what he's done so far in improving the talent on the roster. A lot of people think we have the same team we did last year which is just mainly true on offense but that's not the case on defense. Bowman is scary paired with Willis, Aldon is legit when it comes to rushing the passer, Rodgers and Culliver have been great in the secondary so this is a more talented and complete defense than it was last year.

not a problem with me, but if we're giving credit up the food chain, the Jed Yorks gets some too.

cause if "blame comes with the territory", so does credit.