• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What would you guys think of a major with match play format

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it. I know that we have a WGC event that is match play and WGC is that next tier but up through 1957, the PGA Championship was match play. I know it would be tough to have a major with only 64 players, but maybe you could extend it out one more round if you add a day. I think that the change of format would be a lot of fun and give the PGA the uniqueness that I think it kind of lacks.

Thoughts?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also love it. Then we could see guys like Ian Poulter go all Walter Hagen on the field and win multiple championships.

But didn't they also used to do two rounds in a single day? I know that was before TV became what it is.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also love it. Then we could see guys like Ian Poulter go all Walter Hagen on the field and win multiple championships.

But didn't they also used to do two rounds in a single day? I know that was before TV became what it is.

Yeah, that would be an issue, especially if they wanted to expand the field.

Let's see....

If they added Wed:

Wed - 128 to 64 morning, 64 to 32 afternoon
Thu - 32 to 16
Fri - 16 to 8 morning, 8 to 4 afternoon
Sat - 4 to 2
Sun - Final

That would be 126 holes in 5 days.

I can see why the networks would not want it though. You are down to 4 by the weekend and what if those 4 are George Coetze, Webb Simpson, Mikko Illonen and Kevin Nah. :gaah:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of it.

I love on Sundays when there are a dozen or so people still in contention to make a huge comeback and win it.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is NOT mano a mano. It is four days of mano a course. Plus, there is precedent for it. Majors have been decided this way int he past.

I am crappy with my english...sorry, thanks for the correction. I think we agree on the history of the current majors and there format tho.
golf:clap:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't trying to correct the grammar or spelling (honestly didn't even think about it).

It was the concept. In the 72 hole format, it really isn't player v player, it is player v course. In match play, that dynamic changes a bit. The PGA Championship was match play for quite some time.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't trying to correct the grammar or spelling (honestly didn't even think about it).

It was the concept. In the 72 hole format, it really isn't player v player, it is player v course. In match play, that dynamic changes a bit. The PGA Championship was match play for quite some time.

Ok your right here on the man vs course item. I stand corrected. I like match play, just not in a newly formed major event.

History buff I spose here 4 62.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I haven't read the other posts yet, but I'm sure someone has mentioned that the PGA was a matchplay format in the early days.

IMO matchplay doesn't determine the best player in the field which a major is supposed to do. You can play just okay and win or play great and lose to a much lower ranked player...it's exciting, but imo better suited for team play.