• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What was lost in the debri fifteen years later

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I'm embarrassed for our league," Brown said when it was over. "I'm disappointed to be a part of it."

"I've been around 20 years," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said on ESPN a half-hour after the game. "And I've never seen or been a part of anything like this.

"I felt like I was fighting for my life out there," Carlisle said, the coach of a professional basketball team, after a game against the defending champions of the world.

TSD6SF6W4MRIUIZHOS2NRCRDKQ.jpg

The Malice at the Palace was not the first time that Ron Artest found himself in trouble with the league. Artest was suspended twice during the 2003 season once for destroying a camera and another time for a confrontation with Heat coach Pat Riley. (DUANE BURLESON/AP)
It started with a hard foul by Ron Artest against Ben Wallace of the Pistons in a game the Pacers were winning, and winning going away, with 45 seconds left. Then Wallace, losing control against a guy - Artest - who is supposed to be the poster child for losing control, gave Artest a hard shove, shoving him back about 10 feet. Wallace acting like a punk now. After that, it looked like every dumb playground staredown you have ever seen in moments like this. Artest, who is used to getting into trouble, who became a national punch line just the other day because he asked for time off during the season to promote a rap album, actually went over and stretched out on the scorer's table, as a way of not getting into further trouble.

Then a fan threw a cup of beer on Artest and he was after that fan, up into the stands after him, and we were off to the races.

There were other Pacers up in the stands with Artest. "We all should have gone into the stands," Larry Brown said. There was Brown, desperately trying to get to a public address microphone and beg for some kind of order. Except there wasn't much order in Auburn Hills. Just the worst example we have had lately in professional sports of people in the stands not understanding or not caring that the ticket in their pockets does not allow them to go after Artest the way Wallace did.

There will people who want this to be Artest's fault, because he hard-fouled Wallace the way he did when the game was over. They will say he started it. But Wallace started the fight with that shove to Artest's face. And Wallace wouldn't stop, even when Artest was on the scorer's table, throwing a towel at Artest, still looking for a fight. I'm tough, you're not. That we've seen before.

But then there was some beer flying out of the stands, and Artest flying in. Now it wasn't just some players - Wallace, Artest, Stephen Jackson of the Pacers - out of control. Now it was the whole area down near the court at The Palace that was out of control.

You would call this a wrestling crowd, except the action in pro wrestling isn't real. This was real last night, it was dangerous. These are pictures that don't go away. This is a real disaster for sports, not some stupid skit before "Monday Night Football." This was Rick Carlisle having to leave the court with someone holding a clipboard over his head for protection. This was the Pacers being unable to get to their locker room without being doused with beer.

On the court where the Pistons were doused with champagne, and we all stood and cheered. This was the dark side of all that last night. Tom Wilson, the Pistons' CEO, said much later to ESPN's Jim Gray that nothing good happens when players go into the stands. Wilson was right about that. Nothing good happens up there. Sometimes the very worst in sports.