• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to do about our log jam of middle infielders?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could just always cut Young, his 16 million is a sunk cost one way or the other, why not give his roster spot to someone more productive.... which wouldn't take much

There it is. Most Rangers fans could care less about 3,000 hits or any of the club house stuff if it means your #6 hitter is pulling the line up down or blocking a better and younger player.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could just always cut Young, his 16 million is a sunk cost one way or the other, why not give his roster spot to someone more productive.... which wouldn't take much

Of course they could but they're not going go that route with the face of the franchise

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they could but they're not going go that route with the face of the franchise

This face of the franchise thing was a marketing gimmick started by the local media. There's not nearly enough to it to justify keeping his dying bat around and allowing wash to continue to let his bat clog up the middle of the order. Frankly, I think part of the solution is letting wash go this winter, but that's another subject entirely.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This face of the franchise thing was a marketing gimmick started by the local media. There's not nearly enough to it to justify keeping his dying bat around and allowing wash to continue to let his bat clog up the middle of the order. Frankly, I think part of the solution is letting wash go this winter, but that's another subject entirely.

The rangers are not going to eat 16M no matter how hard we may wish. And then there's adding the cost of adding a power-hitting DH because they're not going to use Olt or Murphy at DH. So who else would you use?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rangers are not going to eat 16M no matter how hard we may wish. And then there's adding the cost of adding a power-hitting DH because they're not going to use Olt or Murphy at DH. So who else would you use?

MY still has value to this team, but not as it's full time dh. If we view MY's bloated 16m salary next year as a sunk cost based on the basic principles of economics there's no sense in taking it into consideration when determining his role on this team next year.

MY needs to be willing to accept a reduced role next year which does not include putting him in the lineup 5-7 days a week. He can be a good asset as a player to give our IF rest and keep their legs fresh as well as a quality bench bat, but not as the primary DH. Even if the rangers do not choose to go sign a power bat for dh, there's no reason it cannot be rotated among the OF (not necessarily Martin or Gentry) considering we have plentiful OF options as well as other players using it to get 1/2 day off.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
... or maybe TEX just decides to go with one less pitcher so "MY's farewell tour" doesn't hurt the offense.

Speaking of farewell tour seasons ... Chipper Jones
.297 .377 .482 .860 w/14HRs and 2.5oWAR

Oh ... and Chipper's 40yo ... 5 years older than MY.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY still has value to this team, but not as it's full time dh. If we view MY's bloated 16m salary next year as a sunk cost based on the basic principles of economics there's no sense in taking it into consideration when determining his role on this team next year.

MY needs to be willing to accept a reduced role next year which does not include putting him in the lineup 5-7 days a week. He can be a good asset as a player to give our IF rest and keep their legs fresh as well as a quality bench bat, but not as the primary DH. Even if the rangers do not choose to go sign a power bat for dh, there's no reason it cannot be rotated among the OF (not necessarily Martin or Gentry) considering we have plentiful OF options as well as other players using it to get 1/2 day off.

Even some of the greats get sent off into the sun at the end of their careers

Keep running him out there and its only going to tarnish people's lasting impression of him

as of right now Washington is doing serious damage to Michael Young's reputation (and his own), by trotting him out there every night, eventually even "casual" fans will start to see that he's just very good anymore

I WAS a Michael Young fan of some degree and now all I can do is cringe when people outside a message board even mention his name

Either way the Ranger's go, they're eating 16 million dollars, that's all there is to it, that's why its called a sunk cost, you move on and do whats best for the long-term, and Michael Young in the everyday lineup is not part of the long-term

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even some of the greats get sent off into the sun at the end of their careers

Keep running him out there and its only going to tarnish people's lasting impression of him

as of right now Washington is doing serious damage to Michael Young's reputation (and his own), by trotting him out there every night, eventually even "casual" fans will start to see that he's just very good anymore

I WAS a Michael Young fan of some degree and now all I can do is cringe when people outside a message board even mention his name

Either way the Ranger's go, they're eating 16 million dollars, that's all there is to it, that's why its called a sunk cost, you move on and do whats best for the long-term, and Michael Young in the everyday lineup is not part of the long-term

I agree. Which is why I said keep him only if he's willing to accept a significantly reduced role which means significantly reduced at bats. Otherwise, he is indeed sunk cost and should be treated as such. Problem is, as long as wash is calling the shots it looks like MY will be run out there every day. That's why I say MY and Wash cannot both be allowed to be part of this program next year. One has to go.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part about all of this is we actually have young guys that are capable of filling out our lineup without having to blow a hugh chunk of change for a free agent. If trading Ian Kinsler would get us a corner outfield bat to replace Josh then I'd do it and start Profar at 2nd. yeah, I know we have Ian signed for 15mil for the next 5 years but I'd rather spend that money to keep Elvis through his prime. Elvis is on the upswing of his career where Ian isn't going to improve much more if any!

JD is the best GM in the game so whatever he ends up doing I'll trust.

Last edited by a moderator: