• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the media thought of Patrick Mahomes back in 2017

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some videos, to remind you: NFL Network, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, and the those precious NFL Draft takes seen here and here.

ESPN had him as the 52nd best player in the draft. Daniel Jeremiah didn't have him in the his top 50 players list. Sports Illustrated him as the 38th best player.

Todd McShay on Patrick Mahomes:

"Honestly, I've only gone through three tapes on Mahomes. I've got to watch more, but it looks like a lot of backyard football where he's at his best extending plays and creating chaos and finding guys open. He's got a big arm. He's a good athlete. He's got some 'gamer' to him, but his mechanics need a lot of refining. He comes from a system that's never produced a quarterback who's had sustained success in the (NFL). I think he's a big project, but there are definitely tools there to develop."

Basically, back in 2017, Patrick Mahomes was seen as a late first round to second round prospect. People loved the arm strength, the character, and the athletic abilities. But, they thought he was wreck less with the football, had bad footwork, and played in an unfriendly NFL system. The Chiefs going for him 10th was seen as a "reach". I always shake my head, when I hear the media claiming that prospect X reminds them of "Patrick Mahomes". When in reality, the prospect with the athletic gifts, but seen as raw and inaccurate, would be the more accurate comparison.

For the record, my ranking was Watson, Mahomes, and then Trubisky. I never bought Trubisky as a first round quarterback.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh I remember giving Mahomes a whatever rating (not horrible or not great) but I also said 100% that because Andy Reid was the head coach he could thrive in the NFL (given Reid is one of the best offensive minds and QB gurus in NFL history).

That said, I in zero way gave him an A+ grade or predicted he'd be that good. I can only defend that I wasn't surprised when he did. Had he gone to a different team I still believe things could've been very different.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some videos, to remind you: NFL Network, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, and the those precious NFL Draft takes seen here and here.

ESPN had him as the 52nd best player in the draft. Daniel Jeremiah didn't have him in the his top 50 players list. Sports Illustrated him as the 38th best player.

"Honestly, I've only gone through three tapes on Mahomes. I've got to watch more, but it looks like a lot of backyard football where he's at his best extending plays and creating chaos and finding guys open. He's got a big arm. He's a good athlete. He's got some 'gamer' to him, but his mechanics need a lot of refining. He comes from a system that's never produced a quarterback who's had sustained success in the (NFL). I think he's a big project, but there are definitely tools there to develop."

Basically, back in 2017, Patrick Mahomes was seen as a late first round to second round prospect. People loved the arm strength, the character, and the athletic abilities. But, they thought he was wreck less with the football, had bad footwork, and played in an unfriendly NFL system. The Chiefs going for him 10th was seen as a "reach". I always shake my head, when I hear the media claiming that prospect X reminds them of "Patrick Mahomes". When in reality, the prospect with the athletic gifts, but seen as raw and inaccurate, would be the more accurate comparison.

For the record, my ranking was Watson, Mahomes, and then Trubisky. I never bought Trubisky as a first round quarterback.
I was absolutely in love with Watson as a prospect. Was luke warm on Mahomes and Trubinsky.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they were all projects. Watson played down to his competition and his arm velocity was broken coming out but that was fixed. I disliked Mahomes as a prospect at first because he didn't have consistent mechanics or play in the pocket. Big 12 QB was a meme at that time, too. KC media was comparing him to Rich Gannon. The internet sites I was following at the time were comparing him to Matt Stafford. Chiefs fans were all-in on taking him online from what I could see and it wasn't really a surprise that the Chiefs got him.

We did a mock draft on here back then and Mahomes and Watson both went rd2 iirc. I grabbed Mahomes for KC and a Bears fan grabbed Watson.

QB is a total crapshoot because so much of the game is mental.

I do remember that some people were saying that Josh Allen was the next Mahomes but at the time it didnt mean anything because Mahomes had only played 1 game.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they were all projects. Watson played down to his competition and his arm velocity was broken coming out but that was fixed. I disliked Mahomes as a prospect at first because he didn't have consistent mechanics or play in the pocket. Big 12 QB was a meme at that time, too. KC media was comparing him to Rich Gannon. The internet sites I was following at the time were comparing him to Matt Stafford. Chiefs fans were all-in on taking him online from what I could see and it wasn't really a surprise that the Chiefs got him.

We did a mock draft on here back then and Mahomes and Watson both went rd2 iirc. I grabbed Mahomes for KC and a Bears fan grabbed Watson.

QB is a total crapshoot because so much of the game is mental.
Yep. 50 percent physical and 80 percent mental. Also…I’m not a good QB.

• Haha
Reactions: DJ

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Folks down here had a more positive outlook of Mahomes in 2017. Not that he's the best in football but had the skills to play at this level.

Kid was a great HS shortstop. Worth the price of admission just to see him throw the ball across the diamond. Really thought he'd follow in pops footsteps back then.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh I remember giving Mahomes a whatever rating (not horrible or not great) but I also said 100% that because Andy Reid was the head coach he could thrive in the NFL (given Reid is one of the best offensive minds and QB gurus in NFL history).

That said, I in zero way gave him an A+ grade or predicted he'd be that good. I can only defend that I wasn't surprised when he did. Had he gone to a different team I still believe things could've been very different.
I think he went to a functioning organization (The Browns or Bears would have been disastrous for him) and had the upside. His so-called shortcomings were correctable. The upside was there -- great character, arm strength, athletic abilities. The accuracy issues were due to the Texas Tech defense being shaky and lots of times, Mahomes was making hero plays and sometimes backfired. Same deal with Josh Allen. My belief is that the media puts too many emphasis on stats and where they play. You want to look at UPSIDE, the most.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he went to a functioning organization (The Browns or Bears would have been disastrous for him) and had the upside. His so-called shortcomings were correctable. The upside was there -- great character, arm strength, athletic abilities. The accuracy issues were due to the Texas Tech defense being shaky and lots of times, Mahomes was making hero plays and sometimes backfired. Same deal with Josh Allen. My belief is that the media puts too many emphasis on stats and where they play. You want to look at UPSIDE, the most.

Well upside with the right staff and coaching. Anthony Richardson will do F all in Vegas for example.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little nervous about his production translating because it had classic too good to be true vibes. Just because you're extremely productive doesn't mean you're a good NFL QB, let alone a star. Wasn't sure he was worth trading up for. Couldn't be happier to be wrong.

Turns out it translated almost 1:1 and he probably could've started year 1. All the stuff folks said Mahomes wouldn't translate has not only translated, it's made people rethink the position entirely.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well upside with the right staff and coaching. Anthony Richardson will do F all in Vegas for example.
I think Richardson and Levis are probably more comparable to Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. Raw prospects, but with great upside. Probably needs a couple of years to develop into something special. If they get drafted in the right system, they can easily be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Back in 2017, I was won over by Mahomes purely based on the arm strength.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of players success depends on where they are drafted.

There are guys that are just great and excel even on terrible teams, but a lot of players need the right system/coaching in order to be successful.

Would Brady have become the GOAT had he gone to Cleveland, Chicago, NYJ…… instead of NE?

How often do we see good players leave their team in FA and bomb somewhere else because they went chasing the money?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Andy. Reid.

And sitting behind a real professional quarterback helped too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Brady have become the GOAT had he gone to Cleveland, Chicago, NYJ…… instead of NE?
Hard to say he would've been the GOAT but Brady would've won multiple Super Bowls with the Bears and Jets defenses. Possibly even put up some legendary performances with those teams. Those teams were dragging Mark Sanchez and Bears QB bums deep into the playoffs.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McShay was shockingly accurate. He was wrong at how those unique attributes translated to the NFL, but his breakdown was damn solid there.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say he would've been the GOAT but Brady would've won multiple Super Bowls with the Bears and Jets defenses. Possibly even put up some legendary performances with those teams. Those teams were dragging Mark Sanchez and Bears QB bums deep into the playoffs.
All that contingent on him getting a chance to play. The Patriots signed Bledsoe to a $100 million contract right before the 2001 draft. If Bledsoe had stayed healthy and reasonably successful, Brady may have never gotten a start in the NFL. He could have easily been buried on the depth chart for years like Kurt Warner.

It just shows that no matter how much work scouts put into evaluating college players, you really don't know what you've got until they get a chance to start in the NFL.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that contingent on him getting a chance to play. The Patriots signed Bledsoe to a $100 million contract right before the 2001 draft. If Bledsoe had stayed healthy and reasonably successful, Brady may have never gotten a start in the NFL. He could have easily been buried on the depth chart for years like Kurt Warner.

It just shows that no matter how much work scouts put into evaluating college players, you really don't know what you've got until they get a chance to start in the NFL.
Yeah, that's true. Brady might not have been even noticed on some teams. Of course, the Bears somehow made it to a SB with Rex Grossman so who knows.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,121.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay was shockingly accurate. He was wrong at how those unique attributes translated to the NFL, but his breakdown was damn solid there.
It really was....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,121.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ain't lying.