• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the hell is going on with NFL QB's?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The past few days have flipped the NFL sideways when it comes to the Quarterback position. For the past few years we have all heard and been shouting that if you didn't have a top 7 or 8 QB (Mostly older guys that have been around forever) you were S.O.L. for your team. The draft hasn't produced much outside of a few hits. But if you didn't have the #1 overall pick or got extremely lucky (Russell) you were NOT getting a "franchise" QB.
(*I'm not disparaging any fan base... this is simply a point of view)

Teddy Bridgewater:
A decent, if limited starting QB taken in the 2nd round a few years ago. He's played okay. I didn't see him as a franchise guy. Has horrific injury. The Vikings FREAK the F out and trade 1st & conditional 4th round picks for.... Sam Bradford? a guy who has already been traded from his original team, been injured, and hasn't won much. He's HIGHLY paid... This tells me the Vikings either: A. don't think Teddy will ever return to his form or B. Sam Bradford is the present and future. Sam Bradford?

Tony Romo:
Franchise guy. Breaks his back. Expected to return this season. Have a 4th rounder in Dak Prescott out perform his draft slot in the preseason. And yet they STILL sign the 3x's failed/ cut Mark Sanchez? I understand having a vet backup. But why so quickly to the point of potential NFL penalties? For Sanchez?

Kaepernick:
Former Superbowl QB who was going to change the league with his skill set. The league "figures him out" the following season and now he's using his platform to make a statement. Irregardless of what you think of his political stance he still made the team... ?

Nick Foles:
Amazing 29-2 TD/Int ratio in opening season. Traded to rams, cut, signed by Chiefs. 3 teams.

Rookies/2nd year players:
Jared Goff #1 pick after HUGE trade to move up to get- doesn't make it 2nd string is now 3rd string.
Carson Wentz #2 pick will not start yet...but will soon only due to Bradford trade.

Brock Osweiler with only a handful of starts and a world beater defense...pouts and signs a monster deal elsewhere.

Meanwhile guys with good college careers, and were said to be "NFL ready" going into each of their drafts Aaron Murray & Kevin Hogan- Waived and NOT claimed?

The greatest QB in the game is suspended for 4 games, because the Commish is a giant ego maniac. Should have been a 2 game suspension reduced to 1 game... but his ego wouldn't let it go. While 2x accused* rapist is free to play? (*yeah, yeah...accused isn't guilty...but it's not a good look for the league- and he is my fantasy QB)

Jay Cutler... even after ALL the above... is still the most hated QB in the league? really? If Sam Bradford is worth a #1 pick and Sanchez is worthy of yet another chance? Yet Cutler should be shipped out of town ASAP? Talking heads on radio and ESPN defend some QB's who have had multiple OC's... Bradford is one... Cutler is blamed for them.

The state of the Quarterback in the NFL is sideways. Nobody is right. Everyone is right. What an odd week. Can't wait till this thing get's kicked off.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread reeks of bitterness... and cigarettes

tumblr_nt185zJSFq1rge9rdo1_500.jpg

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically this can all be explained by the fact that the NFL is devoid of QB talent. And it has been that way for a number of years. That means the QBs that are available are having their value inflated to compensate for there being hardly any talent available to QB needy teams. That also means that more teams who have a good all-around team can get by with not having an elite QB because there aren't many teams with elite QBs.

Anyone who thinks Brady is the "Greatest" shouldn't be participating in a discussion on the state of current QBs.

Brady's ego, not Goodell's, is the reason he is suspended for four games instead of just getting a single game or fine.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The past few days have flipped the NFL sideways when it comes to the Quarterback position. For the past few years we have all heard and been shouting that if you didn't have a top 7 or 8 QB (Mostly older guys that have been around forever) you were S.O.L. for your team. The draft hasn't produced much outside of a few hits. But if you didn't have the #1 overall pick or got extremely lucky (Russell) you were NOT getting a "franchise" QB.
(*I'm not disparaging any fan base... this is simply a point of view)

It's certainly what we've often been told, but everyone seem to have their own version of a moving target elite QB which kind of is a deadred giveaway that's bullshit. If last year with Peyton couldn't convince people after Eli, Dilfer and Flacco have won SB's, then really nothing will. And quite frankly- they are to be ignored for the most part as far as I am concerned.

Teddy Bridgewater:
A decent, if limited starting QB taken in the 2nd round a few years ago. He's played okay. I didn't see him as a franchise guy. Has horrific injury. The Vikings FREAK the F out and trade 1st & conditional 4th round picks for.... Sam Bradford? a guy who has already been traded from his original team, been injured, and hasn't won much. He's HIGHLY paid... This tells me the Vikings either: A. don't think Teddy will ever return to his form or B. Sam Bradford is the present and future. Sam Bradford?

Keep in mind Alex Smith netted two 2nd round picks on a similarish 2 year contract. I think the 2nd 2nd was actually a 3rd at the time of the trade, but I'd have to look it up. Alex Smith was 15th in DVOA last year, basically average. Is that scheme related? Idk for sure, but let's assume he's average for a second. Do we think Bradford is better or equal to Alex Smith coming off of 2012? I don't think so, but apparently there are FO's that see them as similar value. The Eagles originally were asking for 2 2nds for Bradford- exactly what Alex Smith netted for the 49ers. And with whispers of this being a 2 year ordeal for Bridgewater, the Vikings have to make a move to help their team contend now and in 2017. Does everybody agree, most definitely not which has been largely negative from the masses and posters on this site. The Vikings Defense iirc was only 14th in DVOA so it's going to be very interesting to see how they cover up for Bradford. Shaun Hill starting the first two games as of now seems very possible. That's very possibly an 0-2 hole.

Tony Romo:
Franchise guy. Breaks his back. Expected to return this season. Have a 4th rounder in Dak Prescott out perform his draft slot in the preseason. And yet they STILL sign the 3x's failed/ cut Mark Sanchez? I understand having a vet backup. But why so quickly to the point of potential NFL penalties? For Sanchez?

Sanchez is a quality spot-starter if that makes sense. He's no Hanie or Palko (remember those two playing each other? That was painful in every way) in that he can win at least some of the games he starts. He's a good backup for Prescott. We've seen plenty of rookies get themselves hurt as they try to feel out pocket presence at NFL speeds. It's a good move, but it's classic Jerry Jones to ignore the transaction wire.

Kaepernick:
Former Superbowl QB who was going to change the league with his skill set. The league "figures him out" the following season and now he's using his platform to make a statement. Irregardless of what you think of his political stance he still made the team... ?

Same schtick with Sanchez and if I recall a lot of his escalators are going to go poof if he's not starting. SF is screwed either away so I don't think it particularly matters.

Nick Foles:
Amazing 29-2 TD/Int ratio in opening season. Traded to rams, cut, signed by Chiefs. 3 teams.
He was never as good on film that year as he was on the TD/INT ratio that year. Combine that with an entirely unsustainable deep ball rate (Year 1 Chip Kelly anyone?) and it's not too crazy to see how he fell apart. 4 of his 7 TD's in the Oakland game were bust TD's as I recall. Not especially good throws. Am interested to see how he does with Reid, hoping he works on his mechanics. He has the arm and pocket presence you want out of a QB, but his accuracy is very muchso lacking right now- and it's not a noob thing in KC, he did that in STL and Philly too.

Rookies/2nd year players:
Jared Goff #1 pick after HUGE trade to move up to get- doesn't make it 2nd string is now 3rd string.
Carson Wentz #2 pick will not start yet...but will soon only due to Bradford trade.

Rams in general seem pretty scatterbrain. Very hard justifying moving as much they did if he doesn't even merit dressing up as the backup. At least in Philly Daniel had started and even won a game. Seems like an odd way of handling things but I'll refrain from heavy criticism for the time being with those two. Fails the sniff test, however.

Brock Osweiler with only a handful of starts and a world beater defense...pouts and signs a monster deal elsewhere

Was he supposed to take less money when other guys with less clout like Matt Flynn cashed in more relative to the cap? No. Texans defense is plenty good itself. Offense around him is good deal better than Denver at this point, imo. Better at RB, OL, and Hopkins keeps the gap from getting too wide at WR. He's fine, just need to worry about his own quarterbacking at this point.

Meanwhile guys with good college careers, and were said to be "NFL ready" going into each of their drafts Aaron Murray & Kevin Hogan- Waived and NOT claimed?

Loved grabbing Aaron Murray in the 5th, but truth is he has been kind of sucky. Bray outperformed him. Hogan was just a victim of Foles coming available late. Had Foles been cut earlier, I doubt Hogan is waived. Certainly not by the Chiefs anyway. Murray was horrible on tape this preseason. High and inaccurate throw after throw. He doesn't get the excuse Foles gets for being in the system for multiple years consecutively.

The greatest QB in the game is suspended for 4 games, because the Commish is a giant ego maniac. Should have been a 2 game suspension reduced to 1 game... but his ego wouldn't let it go. While 2x accused* rapist is free to play? (*yeah, yeah...accused isn't guilty...but it's not a good look for the league- and he is my fantasy QB)

NFL Rulebook is without a doubt Byzantine.

Jay Cutler... even after ALL the above... is still the most hated QB in the league? really? If Sam Bradford is worth a #1 pick and Sanchez is worthy of yet another chance? Yet Cutler should be shipped out of town ASAP? Talking heads on radio and ESPN defend some QB's who have had multiple OC's... Bradford is one... Cutler is blamed for them.

I guess it depends on whom you assign blame of course. Is it Cutler? The line? The WR's? His Defense? Quite frankly I have my own opinions from afar and don't care exceptionally being that they're an NFC team. Had plenty of homers out here giving Smith a pass on everything with all the OC's he went through- also makes it more difficult for his detractors I suppose when the teams he is on keep winning since 2011. Both Smith and Cutler are very polarizing QB's for different reasons, so this is a pretty familiar debate for me.

The state of the Quarterback in the NFL is sideways. Nobody is right. Everyone is right. What an odd week. Can't wait till this thing get's kicked off.

Certainly. Only need a couple knucklehead desperate FO's to think Bradford can be a decent QB and that mess of a trade happens.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you worked "irregardless" in there.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread reeks of bitterness... and cigarettes

tumblr_nt185zJSFq1rge9rdo1_500.jpg
And there it is... Not what meant... Welcome shittown where everyone is a comedian. Ugh.