• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What The Heck Are The Padres Wearing

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy, uglier than the yellow crap the Red Sox wear..

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and what about the giants fugly unis in tonight's game vs. the dodgers? what the hell is going on?

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Debut: July 8, 2022, vs. Giants

Design inspiration: The Padres went with a binational theme in an effort to pay homage to a shared community that sees an estimated 50 million people commute yearly from San Diego to Tijuana, the populous border city in Mexico. They accentuated pink, yellow and mint, three colors prevalent throughout Baja California. And the "San Diego" emblazoned on the front of the jerseys is written in a vintage font representative of weathered beach signs. They consider this a bold, outside-the-box look, and their hope is that it will appeal to a younger demographic.

Fan reception: Images of the Padres' City Connect uniforms leaked a couple days early, and the reaction on social media was mixed, which shouldn't surprise anyone given the team utilized colors hardly ever seen on major league jerseys and caps. Some fans loved them. Some compared them to a can of Arizona Iced Tea or '90s roller-skaters.

Verdict: The Padres and Nike did the right thing in trying to tap into Mexican culture in Southern California and executed it well. Latin players are going to love these; a lot of them already wear these colors on cleats and wrist bands. They bear a stark resemblance to the "Miami Vice" uniforms the NBA's Miami Heat have been putting out, which is probably no coincidence given Miami's Latin influence.

I'm amazed at how many people I've seen wearing them. Pretty cool and unique, but not a look I'll be trying to pull off.