• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What should the Reds do now?

kylezengel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Votto gone. Phillips gone. Both will probably return to action before the end of the season but we definitely need to go after a decent second baseman with some hitting ability because I don't like Santiago is gonna produce like a starting second baseman should. So do we go after someone like Ben Zobrist or somebody else?

Any ideas you guys have for a makeshift second baseman until Phillips returns?:noidea:

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schumaker can play 2nd.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After further review, I see that Schumaker is only hitting 240, Santiago 233. Schumaker might hit better with more playing time. His career AVG is much higher.

kylezengel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schumaker can play 2nd.

True, but I don't think Reds fans realize the severity of the situation. Schumaker is only going to offer a .240 average with little power. There is just no way we are going to be able to compete for the NL Central title with this roster without the help of Votto and Phillips.

It's just nearly impossible to expect to win a division (especially since the NL Central is the best divisions in the league) when you have only four players hitting over .260.

Just have to hope the pitching stays the same and we end up like the 2010 SF Giants who won the World
Series because of their pitching even though their offense was sub-par.

redlegs@hokies

Trout Fishing Aficionado
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to do but hold steady at the moment. Hope the Reds are done with the injury bug this year.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schumaker has to step up his game. If not, there's a hole in the lineup.
Santiago has to step up his game.
Ludwick, same thing.
Frazier, Mesoraco, Cozart ... same thing.
Starters gotta go deep.
If not, it's not going to matter.
I didn't see this season turning out too well anyway so they're doing much better than I expected.
I can't say there is no hope but everything depends on variables that are useless to discuss.
A guy who makes an out 75 percent of the time is baseball's newest All-Star.
Gotta play good defense.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Schumaker is on the 7 day DL, Call me stupid but I'm not sure I've heard of the "7 day DL. Guess that means he is out till after the ALLSTAR break.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grab your glove guys, Reds need you.

kylezengel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, maybe Santiago can start at second base. He looked great tonight :laugh3:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Schumaker is on the 7 day DL, Call me stupid but I'm not sure I've heard of the "7 day DL. Guess that means he is out till after the ALLSTAR break.

The 7-day DL was implemented about 3 years ago when MLB finally wised up to the fact that players were getting concussions and weren't dealing with them. This is a precautionary DL to evaluate the condition over a week. If all is good, then the player comes off the DL. If not, he's got issues.
Schumaker bonked his head on the wall during the Valbuena triple.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, maybe Santiago can start at second base. He looked great tonight :laugh3:

Santiago is as likely to go 1-25 as he is to get 3 hits.
So far, so good ... ya kneffer nose..

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow this team finds ways to win no matter who is in the lineup. I have all the faith in the world in Pena and Santiago. They are good enough for the Reds to play .500 baseball during the absense of Votto and Phillips. We had better hope so.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds front office has shifted gears since the all-in moves of 2012. They've admittedly stated the goal is to be competitive long term while trying to bring home a Championship. While fantasy baseball type moves make for entertaining reading they're not within the fiscally responsible mission statement of the organization. Other teams aren't looking to unload cheap talent for career MiLB type talent, they want top prospects to unload the mistake signings that they can no longer afford.

Ben Zobrist is a player that the Rays would have plenty of suitors for if he is available. Solid talent without the contractual baggage most teams are looking to unload. My guess would be the asking price would exceed the Reds' interest.

The success of this team's offense is going to be dependent on a few guys getting hot. There are plenty of candidates on this roster that can help carry the load for short periods of time. Bruce, Frazier, Mesoraco, and Ludwick are all capable and as we saw last night even a light hitting backup SS can slide over to 2B and be a hero for a game or two. If nothing else this team has shown itself to be very resilient this season.

IMO, the biggest area of concern in Price's mix and match to field an viable offensive team has been the defense at 1B. Pena's throwing error lead to the tying run in the 8th inning in the Thursday loss to the Cubbies and Bruce's error last night seemed to play a role in Latos' unraveling in the 4 run 4th inning. The back spasms may have been the issue, but that inning reminded me of the game five 6 run fifth inning loss to SF in the 2012 NLDS.

On the positive side, great game last night to be in attendance. Exciting come from behind win, a MLB record was set by Chapman, and free pizza courtesy of the strike out for pizza promotion from LaRosas. It's not very often you get to see a MLB record set, of course for the unforeseeable future Chapman will have a chance to break the record every time he takes the mound until the streak ends.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The needs are identified as of today. As of Wednesday, the needs may change.
I hate to pin so much hope on Jack Hannahan, but he's a very good defensive 3B and will allow Frazier to move to 1B, where he is more than adequate.
That lets Pena concentrate on scouting reports when he isn't catching.
Hannahan, sadly, can't hit. He may hit well enough to offset the horrible defense that our 1B have brought to the game, which will eventually affect the entire infield defense, especially with Santiago playing 2B. I assume Schumaker will play some 2B as well but more likely will still play OF.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it hard to describe this team as "fiscally responsible" when they signed injury-prone, depression/anxiety-prone Votto to a $220 million contract, decent but unspectacular Bailey to a $100+ million contract, and one year wonder Ludwick to a $15 million contract. I think people mistake tight budget for fiscally responsible. The goal is fiscal responsibility, but sometimes that doesn't work out, as we've witnessed.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Votto, Bailey, and Ludwick's contracts fall under "Financial Prudence" as the wisdom and risk of the signings can be debated. The "Fiscal Plan" remains sound as in the Reds continue to be profitable which is the most basic definition of fiscal responsibility. Teams such as the Yankees, Red Sox, and both L.A. teams spend considerably more and are far less prudent than the Reds, but nonetheless are cash cows with sound fiscal plans.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shumaker is better than the .240 we've seen. Negron may work for a full in. I don't think the Reds have the goods to trade for a real impact player and still be able to fill other spots, so I think they have to try to hold on until healthy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds were precariously close to going 11-0 on that homestand.

I think Schumaker will step up his game. There is evidence the guy shows up on championship teams.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Reds should sell half priced beer...or promise free ice cream and a cellphone. Seemed to work at the polls.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much else I can say about 2014.
Study this lineup card. Save it for winter, for posterity. Just ... ponder it for a heartbeat.
This is what we waited for on the last week of July.
Seriously ... and somebody wants Walt to "trade for somebody."

10580106_10152636680903760_6216240932836700150_n.jpg