• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What makes the Patriots offense so good and a mismatch?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 and 8 is a winning record.

And also the only Playoff team they've beat all year. When the only team you can say you beat all year is the Denver Bronco's I don't think you're saying much of anything.

If roles were reversed and the only playoff team we had beat was the Bronco's how do you think the world would be looking at us going into this week? The Patriots right now are living off of past success and getting the benefit of doubt, but their record shows a flawed team that struggles against good defenses.

Another thing I noticed is in all 3 of their losses they got burned in the passing game. If we play them though I hope we force the running game early and try to limit possessions from Brady instead of forcing a shoot out. Their defense though is not very good and one bad game from Brady is all it takes for them to lose.

The Ravens can cover up for Flacco thanks to Ray Rice running the ball and a defense that just does not give up much.

The Giants have a QB that can make late game throws with a 3 stud receivers to throw to and a defense that seems to be coming into its own.

I question how good the Giants D really though. I mean did that defense really shut down Green Bay or did Green Bay shut themselves down? It wasn't the Giants dropping those passes after all. I also don't think it's that impressive that they stopped Atlanta. The Falcons have been hit or miss all year and that game was a not their best effort. I do think the Giants D is playing better, but I don't think it's at the level the media is hyping it up to be.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the packers peaked early in the season, the giants are peaking at the right time. i think their d is for real, but i think we match up well against their d.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the packers peaked early in the season, the giants are peaking at the right time. i think their d is for real, but i think we match up well against their d.

Agreed! There is no question we can beat the NYG, and not just because we beat them back in week 10, but because we are a damn good football team!

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just do what the Steelers did. Press and force them to get off their routes.

Plus, did NE really not beat anyone with a winning record? that's absolutely shocking and hard to believe that no network picked that up.

They only played 1 team with a winning record and that was Pittsburg, they played a bunch of 8-8 teams (NYG, NYJ, DAL, OAK, SD, DEN)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed! There is no question we can beat the NYG, and not just because we beat them back in week 10, but because we are a damn good football team!

agreed. we know our D and ST's are playing WELL, and no reason it doesn't continue Sunday.

the difference is our offense took a step up and again, see no reason they can't play similarly? it starts with Alex Smith who was poised in his first play-off game.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
agreed. we know our D and ST's are playing WELL, and no reason it doesn't continue Sunday.

the difference is our offense took a step up and again, see no reason they can't play similarly? it starts with Alex Smith who was poised in his first play-off game.

Exactly!

I'll one item to your list that doesn't get enough mention and that is Jim Harbaugh and his coaching staff... We talk about having a SB caliber offense, a SB caliber defense and a SB caliber special teams - well I think it is time to recognize that we also have a SB caliber coaching staff as well.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly!

I'll one item to your list that doesn't get enough mention and that is Jim Harbaugh and his coaching staff... We talk about having a SB caliber offense, a SB caliber defense and a SB caliber special teams - well I think it is time to recognize that we also have a SB caliber coaching staff as well.

The offense is still the weakest link though, and it does have it's deficiencies.

We could allow less sacks, we could run the ball better, and the offense is generally conservative most of the time.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The offense is still the weakest link though, and it does have it's deficiencies.

We could allow less sacks, we could run the ball better, and the offense is generally conservative most of the time.

I agree to a point. Our offense may be deficient but it is not incapable.

What I mean is this, when compared to other offenses in the league yes we are deficient but when compared for its ability to score more points than our defense gives up, our offense tied NO for the 2nd most capable offense in the league.

Don't get me wrong, I want a more efficient and powerful offense but for now I'll gladly take the capable ("Little engine that could") offense that we have.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree to a point. Our offense may be deficient but it is not incapable.

What I mean is this, when compared to other offenses in the league yes we are deficient but when compared for its ability to score more points than our defense gives up, our offense tied NO for the 2nd most capable offense in the league.

Don't get me wrong, I want a more efficient and powerful offense but for now I'll gladly take the capable ("Little engine that could") offense that we have.

well said.

yeah, we'll always want more offense, but no one expected this much now? so we should keep our expectations reasonable on Sunday.

our offense took a step up and see no reason they won't sustain it, but didn't mean to imply one step took them to 'elite' status.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

depends on each persons definition of 'conservative'? if everything short of passing like New Orleans is conservative, then yeah, we along with 27 other teams are conservative.

we don't have the passing personnel like New Orleans, so if you 'force' it downfield with this Unit, you're asking for mistakes. everyone knows we win by avoiding mistakes.

btw - Alex Smith threw 42 times Saturday and hoping he doesn't have to do it again Sunday.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well said.

yeah, we'll always want more offense, but no one expected this much now? so we should keep our expectations reasonable on Sunday.

our offense took a step up and see no reason they won't sustain it, but didn't mean to imply one step took them to 'elite' status.

Ha ha...that made me think of the SNL skit with Christopher Walken and the Cow Bell - Same skit just replace "Cow Bell" with "Offense"

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And also the only Playoff team they've beat all year. When the only team you can say you beat all year is the Denver Bronco's I don't think you're saying much of anything.

If roles were reversed and the only playoff team we had beat was the Bronco's how do you think the world would be looking at us going into this week? The Patriots right now are living off of past success and getting the benefit of doubt, but their record shows a flawed team that struggles against good defenses.

Another thing I noticed is in all 3 of their losses they got burned in the passing game. If we play them though I hope we force the running game early and try to limit possessions from Brady instead of forcing a shoot out. Their defense though is not very good and one bad game from Brady is all it takes for them to lose.

The Ravens can cover up for Flacco thanks to Ray Rice running the ball and a defense that just does not give up much.

The Giants have a QB that can make late game throws with a 3 stud receivers to throw to and a defense that seems to be coming into its own.

I question how good the Giants D really though. I mean did that defense really shut down Green Bay or did Green Bay shut themselves down? It wasn't the Giants dropping those passes after all. I also don't think it's that impressive that they stopped Atlanta. The Falcons have been hit or miss all year and that game was a not their best effort. I do think the Giants D is playing better, but I don't think it's at the level the media is hyping it up to be.

The perils of living out west.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha...that made me think of the SNL skit with Christopher Walken and the Cow Bell - Same skit just replace "Cow Bell" with "Offense"

our offense definately needs more cowbell

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on each persons definition of 'conservative'? if everything short of passing like New Orleans is conservative, then yeah, we along with 27 other teams are conservative.

we don't have the passing personnel like New Orleans, so if you 'force' it downfield with this Unit, you're asking for mistakes. everyone knows we win by avoiding mistakes.

btw - Alex Smith threw 42 times Saturday and hoping he doesn't have to do it again Sunday.

Three points - Number of passes don't completely show what is conservative and what isn't, distance and risk taken does as well. There were parts of the game that was consevative. We got less conservative, of course, when the game came down to the end.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Three points - Number of passes don't completely show what is conservative and what isn't, distance and risk taken does as well. There were parts of the game that was consevative. We got less conservative, of course, when the game came down to the end.

again, we all have our own definition of conservative? over the years, my interpretation of others is...........anything short of the Saints passing game is conservative?

anyways, what parts of the game did you consider conservative?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, we all have our own definition of conservative? over the years, my interpretation of others is...........anything short of the Saints passing game is conservative?

anyways, what parts of the game did you consider conservative?

I was speaking relative to other parts of the game, which I realize is circular referencing entirely. Perhaps Ghost is a better person to ask, but since I chimed in, Alex was 10-20 for 82 yards in the second and third quarter (or was it after the TOs and before the last four minutes). That's only 8.2 yards per catch (4.1 per attempt), when for the game he was 7.1 per attempt (12.5 per catch).

Making the rates equal that was 4.1 yards per attempt in that span versus 9.8 per attempt the rest of the game. I don't remember any of the incompletes during that span being very long, even compared to our full-game rates (7.1 for the season). I look at being conservative when you are below your season averages, though season averages can be conservative compared to other teams. This isn't a good way to look at it, I admit, but I haven't referenced actual stat sites because it's not that important to me.

When we have a two-score lead is usually when we get conservative, but that may be just running the clock out, not related to risk. Conservative as to risk is when we are barely up. I think Harbaugh is conservative in the regular season more than postseason because I think Harbaugh looks at the regular season as a situational practice whereas he has more urgency when the season could be over due to conservative play and obviously he's less conservative when we need to score. I'm not saying anything groundbreaking.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was speaking relative to other parts of the game, which I realize is circular referencing entirely. Perhaps Ghost is a better person to ask, but since I chimed in, Alex was 10-20 for 82 yards in the second and third quarter (or was it after the TOs and before the last four minutes). That's only 8.2 yards per catch (4.1 per attempt), when for the game he was 7.1 per attempt (12.5 per catch).

Making the rates equal that was 4.1 yards per attempt in that span versus 9.8 per attempt the rest of the game. I don't remember any of the incompletes during that span being very long, even compared to our full-game rates (7.1 for the season). I look at being conservative when you are below your season averages, though season averages can be conservative compared to other teams. This isn't a good way to look at it, I admit, but I haven't referenced actual stat sites because it's not that important to me.

When we have a two-score lead is usually when we get conservative, but that may be just running the clock out, not related to risk. Conservative as to risk is when we are barely up. I think Harbaugh is conservative in the regular season more than postseason because I think Harbaugh looks at the regular season as a situational practice whereas he has more urgency when the season could be over due to conservative play and obviously he's less conservative when we need to score. I'm not saying anything groundbreaking.

believe your first two paragraphs are answering my question, and after reading it you seem to be saying its a lack of execution (result of play)? isn't being conservative about CALLING plays?

you do say no incompletions on long passes, so is this implying as long as we throw long, we're not conservative?