• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What if the NFL and USFL merged in 1986...?

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spit balling here. Not sure how many teams the NFL would've absorbed. I chose 8 to join the 28 that existed at the time. I know 36 teams is a lot, but for shits and giggles...I think it would've been interesting. I relocated some USFL teams to avoid interfering with already established NFL franchises. Does anybody remember the original USFL (1983-85)? Keep in mind...this is what could've occurred in 1986, not 2024. I acknowledge 28 to 36 is a huge jump, but this is just for fun.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic--*Baltimore Stars, New England Patriots, New York Giants, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins
Central--Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, *Louisville Bandits, Pittsburgh Steelers, *Syracuse Generals
Southeast--Atlanta Falcons, *Birmingham Stallions, *Memphis Showboats, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Western Conference
Midwest--*Arizona Outlaws, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Houston Oilers, Kansas City Chiefs, *San Antonio Gamblers
North--Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings, St Louis Cardinals
Pacific--LA Raiders, LA Rams, *Oakland Invaders, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

Had this happened compared to what did happen many questions abound...
Relocation: Do the...
Cardinals leave St Louis if Phoenix already has the Outlaws?
Browns leave Cleveland if Baltimore has the Stars?
Where do the Oilers go?
Do the Jaguars, Panthers, and Ravens ever exist?
Do Raiders ever return to Oakland as they did?

This is fun.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spit balling here. Not sure how many teams the NFL would've absorbed. I chose 8 to join the 28 that existed at the time. I know 36 teams is a lot, but for shits and giggles...I think it would've been interesting. I relocated some USFL teams to avoid interfering with already established NFL franchises. Does anybody remember the original USFL (1983-85)? Keep in mind...this is what could've occurred in 1986, not 2024. I acknowledge 28 to 36 is a huge jump, but this is just for fun.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic--*Baltimore Stars, New England Patriots, New York Giants, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins
Central--Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, *Louisville Bandits, Pittsburgh Steelers, *Syracuse Generals
Southeast--Atlanta Falcons, *Birmingham Stallions, *Memphis Showboats, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Western Conference
Midwest--*Arizona Outlaws, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Houston Oilers, Kansas City Chiefs, *San Antonio Gamblers
North--Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings, St Louis Cardinals
Pacific--LA Raiders, LA Rams, *Oakland Invaders, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

Had this happened compared to what did happen many questions abound...
Relocation: Do the...
Cardinals leave St Louis if Phoenix already has the Outlaws?
Browns leave Cleveland if Baltimore has the Stars?
Where do the Oilers go?
Do the Jaguars, Panthers, and Ravens ever exist?
Do Raiders ever return to Oakland as they did?

This is fun.
I'm just happy to see "Washington Redskins" again. A shame that Bastard owner dan snyder hated the Indians so much he changed the name.

Seems like you should have a team in Jacksonville if you are going to add extra teams.

Same with the Carolinas. That's a big whole in the national markets.

San Antonio should have one.

If Memphis has a team then Nashville doesn't get one later. Interesting.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first observation - Syracuse couldn't have a team - the town is way to small.

TheGoodMan19

Dealing with pronoun troubles
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the USFL had stayed a spring league? By 1986, it was an eight team league. Arizona, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Baltimore, Orlando, Memphis and New Jersey. They only go head to head with the NFL in two markets. If the ownership was stable in those eight cities, then the league could flourish and keep signing top CFB Talent. The league was crippled by too many owners who tried to run teams with pocket change. Take lessons from the AFL and have a solid product, then expand. And there were still viable markets, Houston (the Gamblers merged with the Generals), San Antonio, Oakland, if Al stayed in LA. I always thought the USFL could have made it, if not for the weak sisters. The owner of the NJ Generals would have fled but that might have been addition by subtraction. Whatever happened to that guy?

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the USFL had stayed a spring league? By 1986, it was an eight team league. Arizona, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Baltimore, Orlando, Memphis and New Jersey. They only go head to head with the NFL in two markets. If the ownership was stable in those eight cities, then the league could flourish and keep signing top CFB Talent. The league was crippled by too many owners who tried to run teams with pocket change. Take lessons from the AFL and have a solid product, then expand. And there were still viable markets, Houston (the Gamblers merged with the Generals), San Antonio, Oakland, if Al stayed in LA. I always thought the USFL could have made it, if not for the weak sisters. The owner of the NJ Generals would have fled but that might have been addition by subtraction. Whatever happened to that guy?
Trump owned the Generals. He wanted to compete with the NFL so he got them to move the games to the fall. Big mistke. I always thought that he wanted to get absorbed by the NFL. Another example of what a great businessman he is.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo,if the NFL had done this, it would have made the league better.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they took a ufl team into the NFL,it should be Birmingham.they are only ufl team that could compete at a decent level In the NFL.rest are pathetic.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a personal n biased opinion from a still butthurt Redskins fan.

That n the name Redskins n the warrior chief emblem are w/o question. The coolest n bestest name n moniker in all of North American team sports. And quite possibly the 6 other continents, as well as both the known n unknown universe.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a personal n biased opinion from a still butthurt Redskins fan.

That n the name Redskins n the warrior chief emblem are w/o question. The coolest n bestest name n moniker in all of North American team sports. And quite possibly the 6 other continents, as well as both the known n unknown universe.
You don't see the problem with that team name? Aren't you black? Maybe they should change it to Blackskins and change the logo a bit.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't see the problem with that team name?
I see the problem some people might have with it.

Aren't you black? Maybe they should change it to Blackskins and change the logo a bit.
Yep. With some Cherokee thrown in on my father's side. Or so the story goes.

The only offensive thing about someone calling their team the Blackskins would be its a weak ass name. The Brown, White and Yellowskins would all suck swollen donkey balls as well. Redskins is the opposite of sucking swollen donkey balls which is what a mothafucker should shoot for when naming his or her team.

As for a Blackskins logo. If it were to take after the Washington Redskins logo. Its wouldn't suck swollen donkey balls at all. In fact, well, at least imo, it would be the shit just like the Skins logo was the shit.

Blackskins would still be a weak ass name though. You can better than that. How bout comin up with a name that fits whatever logo you had in mind.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the problem some people might have with it.
But fuck them, amirite?
Yep. With some Cherokee thrown in on my father's side. Or so the story goes.

The only offensive thing about someone calling their team the Blackskins would be its a weak ass name. The Brown, White and Yellowskins would all suck swollen donkey balls as well. Redskins is the opposite of sucking swollen donkey balls which is what a mothafucker should shoot for when naming his or her team.

As for a Blackskins logo. If it were to take after the Washington Redskins logo. Its wouldn't suck swollen donkey balls at all. In fact, well, at least imo, it would be the shit just like the Skins logo was the shit.

Blackskins would still be a weak ass name though. You can better than that. How bout comin up with a name that fits whatever logo you had in mind.
How about you realize Redskins is a racist trope, full stop? Why is 'Redskins' great but 'Blackskins' weak, other than you being a Washington fan?