• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What if 4/2/24

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much PAC 2. Soft.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could you not be happy for Mingo?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ming .....................!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mingo Where is the reply? For the record I am fine with Nix. Would want to move down to get him. Not doing cart wheels but I would trust Paton/Payton on their evaluation of Nix and the fit.

I would LOVE Trice in Round 3.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things considered, this would be OK with me .. Not ecstatic, but that would change once Nix gets on the field, and Trice is in the rotation

There is the possibility for a lot of drama and trading for the Broncos in this draft, and I think this is one of the more grounded and sensible scenarios ...

There's been many a time when a QB or QBs have slid - remember that many thought we were taking Drew Lock at 10, then we traded down .. and picked Fant at 20 !! .. Then still got Lock in the 2nd round ..... That's the type of scenario I'd be super happy about involving Nix - but if it takes using 12, and Payton likes him, then they should pull the trigger and not risk it ..

Trice in the 3rd - how fitting ... and THAT would be great

One thumb up one this "what if" 7/10

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a draft where the Broncos take a QB in round 1 and another QB like Milton in later rounds?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the deal that's going on with Penix

I've watched all these QBs a ton and imo he's CLEARLY the best actual QB in the draft

Best presnap
Best at throwing guys open
Must accurate
Best movement inside the pocket
Best deep ball
Best at tight window throws

Plus he passed the medicaps then ran a 4.46

Every person who talks about him says he's a top 5 pick if not for the previous injuries but at what point do you get over those ? Guy hasn't been hurt in 3 years by the time next season rolls around and it's not like he's out there running the read option

Hot take here but imo he's a better version of Stroud and it kind of blows my mind people are saying he may not go til late 1st. If I'm Denver and he is there when I'm drafting im RUNNING to the podium

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Penix and everything about him way more than I do Nix, but on rewatching what Michigan did to him in the Championship game by taking away throws over the top and outside the numbers it really impacted his effectiveness in the game as he wasn't consistently able to take what was given in the middle and as checkdowns. NFL defenses are so elite at taking away what you do best I think that is a concern with Penix. It is a bigger concern to me with Nix though as his yards and accuracy were so scheme driven that I don't know it translates to the NFL. Its all why QB evaluation is such a tough thing with very low hit rates.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Penix and everything about him way more than I do Nix, but on rewatching what Michigan did to him in the Championship game by taking away throws over the top and outside the numbers it really impacted his effectiveness in the game as he wasn't consistently able to take what was given in the middle and as checkdowns. NFL defenses are so elite at taking away what you do best I think that is a concern with Penix. It is a bigger concern to me with Nix though as his yards and accuracy were so scheme driven that I don't know it translates to the NFL. Its all why QB evaluation is such a tough thing with very low hit rates.
Nix hits the passes Penix couldn't but that was scheme driven? IMO - that's one of the things that are misunderstood about Nix - yes - obviously Nix is following the offensive scheme at Oregon for a sort of west coast passing game with short and intermediate passes as the bread and butter, but you can't really bunch the defense to defeat Nix because he can beat you deep as well. These are the reasons he fits the Payton offense better than anyone else available.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mingo Where is the reply? For the record I am fine with Nix. Would want to move down to get him. Not doing cart wheels but I would trust Paton/Payton on their evaluation of Nix and the fit.

I would LOVE Trice in Round 3.
I agree with this. And it goes for McCarthy, also. I'm not sure I am sold, but I manage a bar for a living, so I would hope these guys would know more than I do. I also love the value of Trice in the 3rd.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the deal that's going on with Penix

I've watched all these QBs a ton and imo he's CLEARLY the best actual QB in the draft

Best presnap
Best at throwing guys open
Must accurate
Best movement inside the pocket
Best deep ball
Best at tight window throws

Plus he passed the medicaps then ran a 4.46

Every person who talks about him says he's a top 5 pick if not for the previous injuries but at what point do you get over those ? Guy hasn't been hurt in 3 years by the time next season rolls around and it's not like he's out there running the read option

Hot take here but imo he's a better version of Stroud and it kind of blows my mind people are saying he may not go til late 1st. If I'm Denver and he is there when I'm drafting im RUNNING to the podium
I think there's two things to consider:

1) Sean Payton referred to it as "the NFL bus" - this collective mindset as far as player evaluations and rankings - who are these people making all these mock drafts and player evaluations, and why should anyone listen ?? ... It's like a snowball of so-called knowledge that begins with a few opinions, then everyone hops on "the bus" and these opinions begin to become law ...

2) Sort of related to the above point - the smokescreen element ... How do we know the Broncos - or Vikings, for that matter - aren't extremely interested in Penix and just not showing their hand ??

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's two things to consider:

1) Sean Payton referred to it as "the NFL bus" - this collective mindset as far as player evaluations and rankings - who are these people making all these mock drafts and player evaluations, and why should anyone listen ?? ... It's like a snowball of so-called knowledge that begins with a few opinions, then everyone hops on "the bus" and these opinions begin to become law ...

2) Sort of related to the above point - the smokescreen element ... How do we know the Broncos - or Vikings, for that matter - aren't extremely interested in Penix and just not showing their hand ??
I have also warmed up on Penix. Get me a doc to vouch for him - and the QB field look a little different to me.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix was my top pick when I posted the QB draft thread back in January. To some degree, the media speculation got to me and I wavered. Now I wonder if Penix doesn't represent a higher upside than Nix. I guess at this point, the Broncos are probably going to take Penix, Nix or McCarthy. I will support whatever decision they make and then pray to my John Elway poster that they got it right.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nix hits the passes Penix couldn't but that was scheme driven? IMO - that's one of the things that are misunderstood about Nix - yes - obviously Nix is following the offensive scheme at Oregon for a sort of west coast passing game with short and intermediate passes as the bread and butter, but you can't really bunch the defense to defeat Nix because he can beat you deep as well. These are the reasons he fits the Payton offense better than anyone else available.
Nix really hasn't shown the same ability to beat you deep that Penix has from what I have seen and that is backed up by the numbers. Not sold on either of these two, but Payton sure seems confident he will get it right.................

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nix really hasn't shown the same ability to beat you deep that Penix has from what I have seen and that is backed up by the numbers. Not sold on either of these two, but Payton sure seems confident he will get it right.................
You're right, but what fits best with the Payton offense? I'd say Nix. You don't really have to throw deep -when you are using your passing game to promote yards after the catch - and to compliment the run game. Nix threw for 40 TDs - Oregon usually was way ahead in games - so there was no need to throw deep.

Another thing I like about Nix - he is the most coachable QB in the draft. His dad is a long-time college assistant in the SEC. I think Nix understands the game better than his peers in this draft. I think the thing to look at with Nix is not that he QBed a successful scheme - he executed the scheme to perfection.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Nix's ability to process and not turn the ball over. He is going to be dependable but the question is how much upside do you have in there??.. The upside might not be as high as a Penix who really struggled under pressure but throws a beautiful deep ball.. I think Payton has Nix higher on his board...

Is Nix one of those QB's you have that you can't really excel to the next level with and he more fits in that boring but dependable, stop gap guy who you eventually move on from then he bounces from team to team as reliable but never "the guy" or is there more to him? That is my question right now.

I think Nix will last in the NFL a very long time but in what way is the question I ask myself.

Penix is a lot more hit or miss to me.

Which one would you rather work with? I get that feeling Payton would rather work with Nix. I think Penix falls to Round 2.