• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What about Romo's contract

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Giants going to sign him for next year? How much does he want and how much are the Giants willing to pay especially with a guy like Hembree waiting in the wings. Any idea's ?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll be back. I say this because they remember how the elbows of closers who throw mostly sliders tend to fall off a cliff (Robb Nen says "hi"). They've got both Hembree and Law who will step in next year at the latest and are pretty cheap. They've got Casilla and JA who can close as well, and the master bullpen manager.

I just can't see them giving Romo $8MM a year.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll be back. I say this because they remember how the elbows of closers who throw mostly sliders tend to fall off a cliff (Robb Nen says "hi"). They've got both Hembree and Law who will step in next year at the latest and are pretty cheap. They've got Casilla and JA who can close as well, and the master bullpen manager.

:agree:

It's always sad to see key guys move on but the logic on this one is pretty clear.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A couple comments:

1) While Nen may have injured himself throwing sliders, I have to believe a big part of his demise was that STUPID-ASS delivery he had where he scuffed the ground in mid-stride. Pardon my frustration with him, I know he's a good guy, but I can't help but think that his disaster-waiting-to-happen delivery caused his injury, and his injury cost us a title in 2002.

2) I tend to agree with you about the list of potential alternative closers, but just remember the early- to mid-2000's when we had Tyler Walker, Armando Benitez, Dustin Hermanson, Matt Herges, and Brad Hennessey. Few things are as unnnerving as having no reliable closer.

3) Agreed that $8mm or more for Romo is an awful lot of money. Dude could easily be one slider on a cool SF night away from Tommy John surgery.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will join Weezy next year. His family has been doggy fans for generations.

Not only do we have Hembree and Law, we also have Hall and Otero. We are stocked with bully arms in the high minors. No reason to pay market for an OK closer.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all may not have noticed that the Giants rarely give the closer spot to an untried pitcher.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Romo back, but at $6 million. No more.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Romo back, but at $6 million. No more.

I always got the sense that Romo was never more than a stop-gap anyway. If the Giants want to keep him, I will trust their decision, but I hope they dont handcuff themselves in the process.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always got the sense that Romo was never more than a stop-gap anyway. If the Giants want to keep him, I will trust their decision, but I hope they dont handcuff themselves in the process.

agreed. And he's not going to sign for $6MM when another team (doyers maybe) will pay him more.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all may not have noticed that the Giants rarely give the closer spot to an untried pitcher.

Like JA, KCYa, Timmeh...

I stand by what I said: "the Giants rarely give the closer spot to an untried pitcher"

As in "the" closer spot (as in "designated closer", not "allowed to close sometimes") and untried pitcher (not "has never closed before", but "has not had success pitching in the majors for at least a year").

None of JA, KCYa, Timmeh were untried pitchers.

The guys whose names were thrown out as replacements (Hembree, Law, Hall, Otero) ARE untried pitchers. Yes, I stand by what I posted.