• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What A Game. I thought They Were Done.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd agree that a team can't compensate for a QB that turns the ball over.

OTOH, a team CAN compensate for a struggling or mediocre QB. A run-heavy offense takes the ball out of his hands. Pass plays with simpler reads and fewer options can help trim down QB mistakes. Preach a play-it-safe and throw the ball away mantra. And sech.
Yes, turnovers will kill a team and if its your QB throwing INT's or fumbling, no way.

For a QB who is struggling with passing but not turning it over, yes we have won games using a run heavy scheme. In fact, we always try to 'run heavy' to start all of our games. But the better teams or defenses with good run D, have stopped us. So i agree if the run heavy is working it'll bail out the QB, but as we're seen this season the run heavy wasn't successful enough. This leads back to the original thought, if JG was more consistent, then we'd rely less on run heavy. IF JG had a few more good passing games, we'd over come those good run D's.

Yes, when you QB is struggling you call safer passing plays, but normally we're behind by then because of earlier struggles. How else do you know your QB is struggling with his passing, because he's showing it in the first half. So if you're two scores behind in the 4th quarter, its difficult to call short passes to help out the QB?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True. I just don't think he "struggles" as much as some of you do. For example, his line against Cincinnati below:

Jimmy Garoppolo - 27/41 for 296 yards 2 TDs 0 int, sacked 5 times and a QB rating of 103

I see nothing wrong there at all especially as poorly as the O Line did in protecting him and getting a running game going.

All the things I mentioned that are bigger problems than Garoppolo that I mentioned in my previous post all happened again in Cincinnati. See below:

The two horrendous penalties by Thomas that killed turnovers as well as him getting burned badly on two TD throws was a much bigger problem

The defense failing to protect a 14-point 4th quarter lead was much worse

Shanahan's failure to come up with any scheme to stop that brutal rush Garoppolo faced in the second half was a far bigger problem

And the injures to all the running backs, LBs and DBs was a much bigger problem than Garoppolo's play.
Ok, maybe "struggle" doesn't work but inconsistent does. Note i felt "a little more" consistency, so not saying he's always struggling.

But there are many reason we lost 6 games, but the main one starts with the QB.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, maybe "struggle" doesn't work but inconsistent does. Note i felt "a little more" consistency, so not saying he's always struggling.

But there are many reason we lost 6 games, but the main one starts with the QB.
In response to this I can only point you to post #17 in this thread where I've already spelled the things that in my opinion are far bigger problems than Garoppolo's play.