• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What A Game. I thought They Were Done.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy to never see Jimmy G at QB again. He has not looked like the same QB since the first knee injury. The year we traded for him he looked great pushing the ball down the field and making quick decisions with a quick release. Since that injury though he looks slow and at times gun shy. He plays better today and this game is never close.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy to never see Jimmy G at QB again. He has not looked like the same QB since the first knee injury. The year we traded for him he looked great pushing the ball down the field and making quick decisions with a quick release. Since that injury though he looks slow and at times gun shy. He plays better today and this game is never close.
Baloney. He's the reason they won. Those last two drives when stupid ass Shanahan had no choice but to let Garoppolo win it he won it on both drives. It was only that idiot Gould who cost them the first drive.
Shanahan definitely holds Garoppolo back.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baloney. He's the reason they won. Those last two drives when stupid ass Shanahan had no choice but to let Garoppolo win it he won it on both drives. It was only that idiot Gould who cost them the first drive.
Agree ^^^^^^^

Niners are #1 in Red Zone efficiency. But Jimmy at times makes stupid decisions and tends to throw high to receivers. He is a game manager not an All Pro. When Jimmy is accurate that offense is tough to stop. Glad to see he and Aiyuk starting to connect. Kittle’s catch on that last throw - holy phuuuck.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree ^^^^^^^

Niners are #1 in Red Zone efficiency. But Jimmy at times makes stupid decisions and tends to throw high to receivers. He is a game manager not an All Pro. When Jimmy is accurate that offense is tough to stop. Glad to see he and Aiyuk starting to connect. Kittle’s catch on that last throw - holy phuuuck.
That is true. That seems to be a recent thing though. He knows Shanahan doesn't want him and I think that effects his confidence.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot overestimate Kittle's importance to the 49ers. He was superb again today

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest takeaway from this game is the 49ers somehow have got to learn how to hold 4th quarter leads

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow, obviously we'll take the win, every win is huge.

This time it's the other team that made more mistakes, and hence lost. Two muff punts and at least one taunting penalty?! But wow, the Bengals were STILL were in the game till the very end.

It SEEMED like JG was throwing a little more downfield today, in the air and not RACs. Shannahan schemed a few wide-open routes, allowing for longer throws.

Also, some VERY good catches along the way.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He basically threw the game sealing pick 6 if the Bengals guy didn't drop it. He over threw Kittle but thank God it's Kittle who bailed him out with an amazing finger tip grab. Until those final 2 drives he spent the entire 2nd half doing nothing when all it would have taken is another FG in the 4th to seal the game away. The offensive line did him no favors for the most part, but some of that is on Jimmy as well for being less mobile than a statue and holding the ball to long.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, obviously we'll take the win, every win is huge.

This time it's the other team that made more mistakes, and hence lost. Two muff punts and at least one taunting penalty?! But wow, the Bengals were STILL were in the game till the very end.

It SEEMED like JG was throwing a little more downfield today, in the air and not RACs. Shannahan schemed a few wide-open routes, allowing for longer throws.

Also, some VERY good catches along the way.
Kittle’s before Gould’s gaffe really stands out

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He basically threw the game sealing pick 6 if the Bengals guy didn't drop it. He over threw Kittle but thank God it's Kittle who bailed him out with an amazing finger tip grab. Until those final 2 drives he spent the entire 2nd half doing nothing when all it would have taken is another FG in the 4th to seal the game away. The offensive line did him no favors for the most part, but some of that is on Jimmy as well for being less mobile than a statue and holding the ball to long.
He does tend to throw the ball high too often

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought the Niners had blown another one.

The running game just wasn't working. We were down to our 3rd & 4th string RB. I have to wonder why Hasty wasn't getting more carries.

Another 2 score lead in the 4th quarter evaporated. How does that keep happening?
--The Bengals smartly went to a 3 and 4 WR package, forcing us to stretch our depleted secondary to the limit.
--At times, seemed like the Bengals offense consisted of "throw to whomever A.Thomas or Hufanga are covering."

A.Thomas was really, really bad in this game.
--gave up a 30yrd TD pass
--gave up a 37yrd TD pass that was reversed on appeal b/c Chase didn't control the ball through the ground
--his 1st hands-to-face penalty wiped out a Ward INT in the 2nd Qrtr
--his 2nd hands-to-face penalty wiped out a 3rd down Bosa sack in the 3rd Qrtr
--Considering how bad Banks(2), Simons(3a), & Thomas(3b) have been, someone in the FO should be worried

With the Cincy D focusing on Deebo and the running game, Kittle came up HUGE and Aiyuk made some key plays too. Let's hope Shanny doesn't forget about those plays when the running game starts working again.

Grop rightly gets a lot of criticism here--he'll never be the PB QB we hoped for. He's a game manager, but when healthy, he's been a good-to-very-good game manager. Late in the game, when we had to abandon the play action and go to pure passing, he drove the team for a game-winning FG (missed) in regulation and then a game-winning TD in OT. He threaded some needles in this game. Some of his best pure passing this season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The running game just wasn't working. We were down to our 3rd & 4th string RB. I have to wonder why Hasty wasn't getting more carries.

Another 2 score lead in the 4th quarter evaporated. How does that keep happening?
--The Bengals smartly went to a 3 and 4 WR package, forcing us to stretch our depleted secondary to the limit.
--At times, seemed like the Bengals offense consisted of "throw to whomever A.Thomas or Hufanga are covering."

--gave up a 37yrd TD pass that was reversed on appeal b/c Chase didn't control the ball through the ground
--Considering how bad Banks(2), Simons(3a), & Thomas(3b) have been, someone in the FO should be worried

With the Cincy D focusing on Deebo and the running game, Kittle came up HUGE and Aiyuk made some key plays too. Let's hope Shanny doesn't forget about those plays when the running game starts working again.

Grop rightly gets a lot of criticism here--he'll never be the PB QB we hoped for. He's a game manager, but when healthy, he's been a good-to-very-good game manager. Late in the game, when we had to abandon the play action and go to pure passing, he drove the team for a game-winning FG (missed) in regulation and then a game-winning TD in OT. He threaded some needles in this game. Some of his best pure passing this season.
I'm satisfied with Garoppolo's play. Look what happened when Shanahan took the handcuffs off of him on the last two drives. As for why we continue to blow 4th quarter leads, in my opinion its partly Shanahan with his ultra conservative play calling and a lack of depth on the D Line. Our exhausted pass rushers can't rush the passer in the 4th quarter. One need just go back to the 84 Niners we've been talking about. They had a 9-man rotation on the D Line so they were fresh in the 4th quarter for that big pass rush that Walsh always believed to be critical to winning in the NFL

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, if JG was a little more consistent we'd be in contention for the bye week. He wouldn't need to be a lot more consistent, just a little bit more.

This isn't saying he's an elite QB, but he'd be enough to win the SB. IMO the main reason is his strengths suits the scheme. We wouldn't be able to say the same if he's on another team.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Kittles sky high grab was 'finger tipped' for sure. Huge play by our current huge offensive weapon.
It amazes me how often highly trained professionals can't finish the play on a ball like that. They lose it going to the ground.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if JG was a little more consistent we'd be in contention for the bye week. He wouldn't need to be a lot more consistent, just a little bit more.

This isn't saying he's an elite QB, but he'd be enough to win the SB. IMO the main reason is his strengths suits the scheme. We wouldn't be able to say the same if he's on another team.
I'm astonished how often we put the failure of the team on Garoppolo when there are bigger reasons by far that the 49ers are below where they should be; the consistent failure of the defense in the 4th quarter being the most egregious followed closely by the amount of ridiculous penalties they commit in critical times. Then there is the consistent failure of Shanahan's in game adjustments once the defense adjusts; Shanahan cannot adjust with them. There is terrible decision making in drafting and free agent pickups and lastly, the unbelievably bad luck we have with injuries. These factors are all way more critical to the 49ers failure than Garoppolo's performance.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm astonished how often we put the failure of the team on Garoppolo when there are bigger reasons by far that the 49ers are below where they should be; the consistent failure of the defense in the 4th quarter being the most egregious followed closely by the amount of ridiculous penalties they commit in critical times. Then there is the consistent failure of Shanahan's in game adjustments once the defense adjusts; Shanahan cannot adjust with them. There is terrible decision making in drafting and free agent pickups and lastly, the unbelievably bad luck we have with injuries. These factors are all way more critical to the 49ers failure than Garoppolo's performance.
Clearly, there are many other reasons why we lost 6 games, but the QB is the biggest factor. A consistent QB can overcome some of the lesser mistakes made earlier in the game. Whereas the team cannot make up for a struggling QB, a QB who throws INT's or fumbles.

Not all INT's are not on JG and neither are all fumbles, but you know what i mean. A team can't "cover" a struggling QB.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, there are many other reasons why we lost 6 games, but the QB is the biggest factor. A consistent QB can overcome some of the lesser mistakes made earlier in the game. Whereas the team cannot make up for a struggling QB, a QB who throws INT's or fumbles.

Not all INT's are not on JG and neither are all fumbles, but you know what i mean. A team can't "cover" a struggling QB.
I'd agree that a team can't compensate for a QB that turns the ball over.

OTOH, a team CAN compensate for a struggling or mediocre QB. A run-heavy offense takes the ball out of his hands. Pass plays with simpler reads and fewer options can help trim down QB mistakes. Preach a play-it-safe and throw the ball away mantra. And sech.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. I just don't think he "struggles" as much as some of you do. For example, his line against Cincinnati below:

Jimmy Garoppolo - 27/41 for 296 yards 2 TDs 0 int, sacked 5 times and a QB rating of 103

I see nothing wrong there at all especially as poorly as the O Line did in protecting him and getting a running game going.

All the things I mentioned that are bigger problems than Garoppolo that I mentioned in my previous post all happened again in Cincinnati. See below:

The two horrendous penalties by Thomas that killed turnovers as well as him getting burned badly on two TD throws was a much bigger problem

The defense failing to protect a 14-point 4th quarter lead was much worse

Shanahan's failure to come up with any scheme to stop that brutal rush Garoppolo faced in the second half was a far bigger problem

And the injures to all the running backs, LBs and DBs was a much bigger problem than Garoppolo's play.